1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Qatar Sports Minister Says He "Probably" Won't Imprison Gay Soccer Fans

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 12, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

http://screamer.deadspin.com/qatar-...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

[​IMG]

It's hard to keep track of all the reasons it's so ****ed up that FIFA decided to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar, so here's one you might not have been aware of: It is illegal to be gay in Qatar, and the country's sports minister isn't willing to give anyone a straight answer on whether gay people will be welcome at the World Cup.

Sports minister Salah bin Ghanem bin Nasser al-Ali sat down with the AP and gave a bunch of canned answers about all the terrible things associated with the 2022 World Cup. At one point, he was asked if alcohol, which is also illegal in Qatar, will be served at the games:

Al Ali said "creative" solutions can be found to allow alcohol sales to visiting World Cup fans. For now, alcohol is only sold in selected Doha hotels and visitors must show their passports to enter these bars. Residents with a license to shop there can also buy alcohol in a government-run store. But World Cup organizer FIFA has a sponsorship deal with a brewer and it leaned on Brazil, the last tournament host, to allow beer sales in its 2014 World Cup stadiums. Asked specifically about alcohol in 2022 stadiums, the minister offered no guarantee.

"In the hotels and many areas we have alcohol but we have also our own system that people need to respect," he said. "As we bid for 2022, we will respect all the rules and regulations by FIFA. We can study this and minimize the impact on our people and tradition. I think we can be creative, finding solutions for all of this. But we respect all the rules and regulations."​

And that led right into the question of how gay people will be welcomed:

Asked how gay people will be welcomed in 2022, al-Ali replied: "It's exactly like the alcohol question."

He said Qatar doesn't want to create "this impression, illusion that we don't care about our tradition and our ethical values ... We are studying all these issues. We can adapt, we can be creative to have people coming and enjoying the games without losing the essence of our culture and respecting the preference of the people coming here. I think there is a lot we can do."​

Ignore the answer, and just consider the fact that in this guy's mind, the question "Will our country respect the human rights of gay people?" is one that needs no deeper consideration than "How are we going to let people drink beer so that FIFA can accommodate its corporate sponsors?" This whole thing is a nightmare.

--------------------------

I am personally interested in this - I'm not gay, but I love going to football world cup events.

What do you think will happen? Will Qatar host the World Cup? Will they be forced to ease up on their laws for the time the World Cup takes place...or...what?

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

It's disgusting, but I think Qatar will host the Cup. FIFA seems intent on it, so much so that they appear delusional. No amount of bad press, whether it be North Korean slave labor building World Cup infrastructure, these veiled threats against homosexuals, playing the tournament during the winter and disrupting big-money European leagues' schedules or starting games at 1 a.m. Qatar time. There will be no end to the bad press.

The thing is, FIFA knows they've got an inelastic product in the World Cup. There will be no alternate tournament and, unless sponsors grow a pair and stop pumping money into the tournament, they can get away with it. Billions will watch around the world, regardless of host country. It's the same level of arrogance the NFL displayed during the replacement referee fiasco last season. But, we as fans let them get away with it.

By the way, ATW, has there been any bigger beneficiary from Qatar's scandals than Russia? Typically, invading a sovereign neighbor and stirring unrest in eastern Europe would get the focus on the 2018 World Cup. But, nobody is talking about Putin and his World Cup because Qatar is that bad. If anybody doubted FIFA's motives in awarding 2018 and 2022, look no further than the hosts they chose and the, um, culture of corruption in both societies. It's a tradition they share with FIFA.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

can't do nuthing, FIFA officials have already been pumped full of Arab moneyyy

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

dumbartonbass, am on phone so no long reply, but I agree 100%.

5. Kyakko

Kyakko Member

When your sports minister has the power to inprision you... its time to move.

6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Wow. We're talking about a country where one person decided on behalf of all citizens that this event is a cost worth baring. Billions of dollars. Totally unnecessary stadiums. Guaranteed not to return anywhere near a profit. Whether gay people can go to an autocratic country to watch people kicking a ball around while attendees publicly display affection is a question which has little importance if we're actually oh so concerned about human rights.

No one will be targeting homosexuals and alcohol will be flowing from fountains come 2022. I guess that's what would make their government such an understanding and conscientious bunch huh.

smh

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Says the guy who works for a dictatorship that does things like this.

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Where I worked (which I thankfully don't work for anymore), and gay fans visiting the world cup in QATAR are still not as important...

as the overall situation in these two places. Which you don't give a **** about. And you are trying to distract from.

What you want is to visit your family in Dubai and drink booze in Qatar. You don't give a damn about the actual well being of citizens of these countries. Who so happen to be mostly Muslims. You care about your fun, that's all. You won't even discuss it like a grown up human being. You'll just take pot shots.

These are all terrible, all the discrimination. I don't think it's terrible that people can't drink freely, I just think it's terrible that citizens do no hold the same right to drink as non-citizens. Which is what you KNOW from visiting Dubai so much. Which is what the article fails to mention. They check your id so that they can allow everyone else to drink. A Qatari person can not legally buy alcohol, ever, and it won't be the case at the world cup either. The flogging, the discrimination about genders - all of that, I disagree with, but I can't do anything about. You know why? Of course you know why. It's the same reason I can't say it.

What's on display here is your disgusting choice of how to allocate your interest in human rights issues in Qatar. And I'm glad you've put it on display here. Thank you.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is absolutely not true. The treatment of tourists is just part of the overall treatment of the minority of homosexuals. And I do disagree with it just as much whether they are tourists or locals such as yourself.

No, see above.

Qataris tell me they go to Dubai to "have fun". And I have seen Saudis (don't ask me how I could distinguish them, but I am sure because a local told me) who were drinking excessively in Dubai.

Blah. I disagree with the treatment of any homosexual or woman or drinker in Muslim dictatorships, whether they are local homosexuals like you or tourists. Not sure where you get it from that I would be okay with it as long as they are locals.

P.S.: If you also disagree with all that stuff, then we don't disagree.

10. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Member

They will serve alcohol. These ME countries really don't know how to unwind and have fun, do they?

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

ATW I think you should go to Qatar with your boyfriend and have some ..