1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Q] Jeremy Lin's impact in China?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koopa, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This thread is really toeing the line and risking being kicked out of the GARM, but I will say this: of the reasons you listed above, to me the biggest by far is that last reason.

If Lin were an all-star caliber player like Yao, then his popularity would be close to Yao's. I know people all around liked to joke that Yao only made the all-star game every year because of the Chinese vote, but by his third year in the league he actually deserved to be there, and that mattered a lot to Chinese fans, just as much if not more so than the fact that he was the first.

At this point the best thing you can say about Lin is that his book has not yet been written. The first couple chapters maybe, but he still has the power to control his destiny if he can develop an outside shot. Be the starting PG on a NBA champion and those Chinese fans will come back at least equal to where they were with Yao.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Forget Virgin Islands. That was a faux pas.
    but it's still ridiculous.

[​IMG]

3. Solaris

Solaris Member

Check the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan) . Taiwan's GDP is #27 in the world as a country. Bigger than many European countries. Let me know which islands in US have comparable GDP?

4. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

As long as Yao is still ex-Rocket, everything will be okay for us in China. So we are and will be safe!!!

5. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Actually if you watched the decline of the ratings in China, Yao Ming's retirement along with the rise of the CBL. NBA players forsaking the NBA with players like Marbury taking up the dream of Chinese Basketball.

The NBA was struggling and losing eyeballs. Yi Jianlian was meant to take over for Yao and continue what Yao had started but he has been considered an NBA BUST for the most-part due to lack of play-time.

Now I won't go into the fact that a lockout, lack of english coaching/tutoring, and the fact he was with the Mavs did a lot to take him out of the equation but moving on.

Your IMO statements lack the facts, studies, and reports that have been released evaluating the impact of the CBL, Rise of Chinese Basketball League, Acquisition of Marbury and others.

Did you know he now has a statue in China?

Yes a statue. He won a National Championship there.

Here is one of many, many articles:
    http://www.economist.com/blogs/analects/2012/02/chinas-new-sports-problem

Other suggestions, you can read articles from the Chinese National New Service: Xinhua

6. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

2nd ~ I think the reaction GLOBALLY is much more telling. Reading a tweet from a Colonel in Australia talking about Jeremy Lin. To a woman in Paris. To a man in Argentina, to a JLin Tshirt buyer in New Zealand.. to a person in Johannesburg, to someone in Quebec.

I think some people just really enjoy living in the past and don't want to admit something good is really gone. Just that - its gone, and the fact is that the information is out there, it can be studied, evaluated, and reviewed. A culmination of social media outlets globally and not from a ethnocentric point of view either. World/Global outlets. Blogs & Google translate.

People just need to have a open-mind.

7. conquistador#11

can china make us a star power forward? it can break 4 seasons from now for all i care, but we need one right now!

1 person likes this.
  8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

That post was simply my speculation in response to OP. The honest personal truth however is, I don't care how popular Lin is outside the NBA. Popularity in China or around the world will not buy wins nor will it bring the players we want to the team. With that being said however, that was great info and I thank you for providing it to us. I did not know how Lin and other players are seen overseas. I am sure Les is cashing in like smart business person he always is.

9. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Yi Jianlian is still currently the best player China has to offer right now, especially at the 4 spot. No other prospects even come close to being as good as him. The current Chinese team has one of the more successful European coaches right now, so perhaps he might improve their game.

The upcoming Chinese big men usually tend to be Centers, as opposed to ideal stretch 4's or even a solid mid-range jumper and probably would not have an immediate impact even if the Rockets were to sign them in 4 years.

Another thing, if they're signed to a Chinese club, there's are a rule now that they can't leave for the NBA Draft until a certain age, I think it might be 21 or 22.

Both D-Mo and T.Jones are better prospects than any player that China has to offer right now, unless you want Yi.

10. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Great thread, we don't have enough Lin threads here!

11. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

EVERY sport has lost ratings globally, except for possibly Euroleague soccer, and the NFL here in the US. The reason has nothing to do with the sport of basketball or the ethnicity of the players.

It is because people have other options, such as online video games, streaming video, social media, etc. The internet has given people more choices to entertain themselves, some of which are completely free to the public. What's happening in China is similar to the US, people are tuning out baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. NFL football is still thriving because it's well marketed, and is a major presence in fantasy sports, but I don't think that will last, their ratings will go down too eventually.

1 person likes this.
  12. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

He doesn't know because it's not true. My friends were recently in China as well and saw tons of younger people wearing his jersey on the basketball courts.

If Chris Paul is 6" then yes, he would be considered tall not just in China but in the US as well.

13. koopa

koopa Member

Can I get a rep for this 3 star thread at least?

14. joelcwu

joelcwu Member

Don't know if brocast fees goes to team or just NBA? From what I know there's 3 TV station that re-brocast Rockets game in Taiwan.

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

lol no judgement there!

Dude this is a perfect thread for you to bring up your "Yao has abnormal genes" argument (regarding giants in NE China etc.).

I know some young mainland Chinese do follow Lin.

Taiwanese certainly do not believe they are part of the P.R.C.

16. ff1e08

ff1e08 Member

Not really, a lot stay here as i know, we just didn't post too much. After Yao retired, i found i had nowhere to go, but stay with the team i cared so much for years. For me, I do like Lin, mainly cos he is Rocket's PG now.

1 person likes this.
  17. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

How awesome is this? Dude has been a member for 4 years and this is his first post. lol

18. chao_gl

chao_gl Member

After Yao retired, CCTV dropped lots of rocket game. If I remember correct, they added about 20% more rocket game last season, which is before harden signed.

19. hubeijames

hubeijames Member

20. eomor131

eomor131 Member

There are many fans and haters of Lin in China.
    Some of haters don't even watch Rockets' games.