1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Q] Jeremy Lin's impact in China?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koopa, Jul 27, 2013.

1. NewBigThree09

NewBigThree09 Member

VERY VERY little........
    Every knowledgeable teenager I know in China is a LOH.
    He is more popular with the older audience.

2. keldraco

keldraco Member

all i know is alot of china fan stop watching Rockets game after yao gone. now they are back watching lin.

3. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

There's a good amount of very tall players in China. Problem is, their recruitment system is based on height and they have been behind in other development. But in recent years, they've been sending their players for special training in other countries. The ones that don't pan out sometimes get spots in U.S. schools.

They start off looking like this:

[​IMG]

And every so often, there's a prospect that starts to shine at the Junior levels.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wGznH8uOT0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

LOL I britta'd that one. Yes ancestors. Thanks for the correction.

5. Caris

Caris Member

Did they share why they are LOHs?
    When I was in China, I didn't encounter any LOH, even my massage therapist knows Lin and is proud of him.

6. Dimeron

Dimeron Member

Not to make judgement call on the political situation, here's the basic run down.

As far as Mainland China is concerned, Taiwan is part of China, and thus, any one from Taiwan is automatically Chinese. In Taiwan, the opinion varies.

Lin always said he's Chinese, and never made any comments in regard to the politic situation (which is very smart thing to do), I believe one of his first sponsor is Volvo, which is owned by a Chinese company.

Obviously, he's not going to be as popular as Yao for three reasons. First is that he's not a Chinese national, but an American, second is that he's not the first highly visible Chinese in the NBA, and lastly, he's not as good as Yao, yet.

1 person likes this.
  7. thisiscaketown

It all depends on his performance on the court.

8. zdrav

zdrav Member

Identities are complex and multi-layered things. Jeremy Lin can be, at the same time, Chinese and Taiwanese and Asian and American and Asian American. Those people who say simplistic stuff like "He's not Chinese, he's American" should go back to thinking in bumper stickers and leave the thoughtful analysis to others.

Obviously, the Chinese would love Lin even more if he were a born-and-bred Chinese national who was fluent in Chinese language and culture. But he's still way more Chinese than any other NBA player out there, and he looks Chinese and speaks some Chinese and identifies with Chinese culture (however one defines it).

People in Asia also tend to think of America as a white country, so an "American" is an ethnic designation, much like how "Indian" or "Italian" would be. Jeremy Lin is clearly not white, so many Chinese probably don't think of him as fully American (though not fully Chinese either).

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I would think he has little to no impact on Chinese fans of basketball. If he was, I would think we'd have some of our old Yao fans on here butchering english and posting their love for him.

Now, his Harvard impact is a sure thing. I am pretty sure most of these Lin fans that joined are from Harvard. Hence, half of them being annoying.

10. autoprt

autoprt Member

funny thing i saw 8 asian teens playing basketball in my subdivision. i came real close to asking what they thought about jeremy lin but didn't if i see them again playing i'll ask.

11. verysimplejason

China/Taiwan relationship is more in the side of politics. It may affect Lin's followers in mainland but I think not much. Chinese is chinese wherever they may come from.

12. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

Yangyi, a famous sports commentator here in mainland China, once wrote in Chinese that 'while I'm interested in watching NBA games, I feel like that I do care about how Lin does, the only player who has the same look as I am. Though I don't think he is among the tops yet, I do wish him all the best, I wish him doing well.'

Sports fans are alike everywhere, they admire the best ones. First and foremost, you need to be really good to be popular among fanbase. Then, if you have sth fans can easily relate to, it's your edge.

As for Lin, a PG of 13 points and 6 assists at $800/yr and has no problem covering, and has already covered his own contract plus a few of his teammates. He is liquid enough in case of a trade.

Were you ever concerned about the GM? He is way too calculating. Is he getting invitation to join major trades?

13. pktan8

pktan8 Member

We are Chinese not from China but from Malaysia. It is because of Jeremy Lin that we chose Houston for our daughter's higher education for next 4 years starting this fall. That's the impact of Jeremy Lin!

14. cw3k

cw3k Member

Taiwan's government and the Chinese's government is all political. If you have read the history, Taiwan is a province of China. Post WW2, the 2 major parties: Communist and the Kuomintang were fighting for control of the country, and the communist party lost. Chiang Kai-Shek's Kuomintang flee to Taiwan.

And the answer to your post, no, Lin has nothing to do with politics. Only morons from Taiwan think they are a superior class. I have friends with many Taiwanese and they are cool with me as I am from Mainland.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So him comparing a small island like Taiwan to the third biggest country worldwide is less ridiculous?

:) and that's not counting in economy and politics

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. itstheyear3030

He wasn't comparing the countries, he was comparing the Taiwan-China conflict to the previous US colonies-Great Britain conflict and how it led to the formation of an independent state. It is far more apt than your analogy of Taiwan to the Virgin Islands.

In any case, even if it were ridiculous, your response is to post even more ridiculousness?

Also, btw, someone of Chris Paul's height would be considered tall in the US. He's above the average by four to five inches.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then he should inform himself that those who fled to the island were party members of one party. The other party stayed in Mainland China.
    The impact and ordeal of forming the US is much bigger than to form an island nation. The reasons were vastly different as well. Props to fellow poster chenj.

I did not want to get into politics again. That being said it's still ridiculous that people are still not knowing about China, Taiwan and not enough about Jeremy Lin after Linsanity.

Haiwaii did not develop into a technology hub but it's still an island...
    what is the equivalent US island to Taiwan? What would you say? Being curious

19. pktan8

pktan8 Member

We are from Malaysia and we chose Houston for our daughter's education next 4 years commencing this Fall. That's Jeremy Lin's impact to Asia!!

20. Phillycheese

Phillycheese Member

There is no denying Lin is impacting the Chinese-American demographics. This segment is the highest educated, highest earning, and least politically represented segment on average. The first two will continue, the last will change, beginning with media perception of Asians. Like it or not, more people are afraid of Lin's impact because like the Black movement, it has the chance to create a Chinese movement, and once that takes foothold, the status quo will have to shift. Why do you think there are so many irrational haters of Lin. Its most likely the result of American political scare mongering. The anti-Lin agenda in some parts of the media are connected to the anti-China rhetoric. If you don't think Lin is impacting Asia, think again. Rockets playing in Philippines, do you think that is partially due with Lin being Rocket. Just like the Christmas Day game.

Lin is a bigger star than Harden on the Rox, despite Harden being the better player - if you think Lin is going anywhere you're sadly mistaken. Think about it, if Lin is traded and becomes an even better player and more of a media focus, Les will have lost zero credibility in the China market since he cannot even ascertain the value of assets that he held on to (twice). That is too big a risk to take.

As an aside - My take on Lin laying low - he does not want to upstage Howard (and to a lesser extent Harden). He already saw the effects of that with Carmelo, and he does not want a repeat. Lin is smart - he stays of out the limelight, no tweets, no one in either camp can blame him for even trying to steal the spotlight. It's all on Howard, win or lose, and he's getting the shine without any Asian American shadow. If there is any jealousy on Lin in the locker room - believe me he will remind (maybe not in so many words but the message will be clear) everyone he stayed clear, despite all the clamor for him to make some kind of public tweet. Lin's camp ain't stupid, they would have learnt their NYK lesson.

2 people like this.