1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Q] Jeremy Lin's impact in China?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by koopa, Jul 27, 2013.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Not the same thing. People left Europe to start a new life in the US, either for economical or religious freedom. Taiwan was originally populated by political and military fugitives fleeing after losing in the Civil War. One was populated by people looking for a new/better life, and the other one was by people kicked out of their homeland. As for independence? As much as I would love seeing that happen, Taiwan has neither the balls or the military might. China will sooner go to war than let Taiwan become independent.

2. bonny1

bonny1 Member

Right now he's not as popular as Yao was in mainland China. But his career just started. Even Yao had a lot of haters in China when he first joined rockets. ppl in Taiwan are just crazy about lin. Just checkout lin's fb page. You know fb is blocked in mainland.

3. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Here's a few endorsement deals you're "worried" about ;) (Volvo, KFC, Gatorade) :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lin is an American, not a Chinese

5. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

Taiwan might have that conflict, but Jeremy doesn't. He has no problem with being called Chinese. Not just the above Endorsements, he also has Nike, which was trying to market him since Day 1 when he signed an NBA contract.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tKslZGjGam0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

He's no Kobe though.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/n0h1Lo0j-4c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

KFC and Gatorade, not too shabby

8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lin is very popular in China -- this is slightly surprising since he is a US citizen with roots from the Independent Nation of Taiwan.

9. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

He still has ways to go before he even gets close to Yao or Kobe popularity, even Yi's. Having Taiwan roots isn't that surprising. Jay Chou is straight from Taiwan and he's very popular in China.

10. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

all-star vote last season, should be intercative. he was getting so many votes smoking hardens numbers despite having bad performance.

Imagine if he plays to all-star level?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well well... It's like you are comparing getting Dalembert and Ellis is the same as getting Dwight Howard.

Times have changed. US were really formed back then but Taiwan is really a small island retreat. It would be better if you compare it to the Virgin Islands or Hawaii.

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Probably got alot more to do with the fact he's pretty identifiable with the average Chinese basketball prospect. Hes a PG, and dare i say there's more people built like Lin in China then Yao.

13. chenjy9

Supporting Member

You mean China is not a magical land of the giants? :eek:

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

You'd be surprised by Northern China. My mother is from there and she said people (not Yao) but Yi's height for example are actually quite common, problem is many of them have little athleticism/muscular development.

15. yobbbb

yobbbb New Member

Hi, I am from HK.
    At least a lot of my classmates and friends have followed him and support HOU tgt!

16. itstheyear3030

What a ridiculous comment. Taiwan is nothing like the Virgin Islands or Hawaii. For one, it does not rely on tourism as a main industry. It has higher development indices than the US in most categories and is one of the biggest technology producers of the world.

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Yeah my dad told me that some giants lived in the north. Unfortunately for me, my descendants did not bless me with such gifts.

18. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

You mean your ancestors :p

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Thankfully I got them half asian genes :p DIET AND NUTRITION!!!!!!

20. YoungGods

YoungGods Member

Yes, in the middle earth. Fascinating!:)