1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A with Kevin McHale part 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mr. 13 in 33, Sep 3, 2012.

1. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/qa-kevin-mchale-part-i

Also: <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=225842">Part 2</a>

2. wakkoman05

wakkoman05 Member

It's clear that McHale is NOT excited about coaching this young team.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Pretty much no coach ever is. They all prefer established players to unproven ones.

4. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

one of the more uncomfortable interviews i've read from jason. perhaps it reads worse than it sounds live...?

5. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Mchale will be an all star this year.....

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

No, he clearly is NOT excited for this team's promise and that irks me quite a lot, too. He also is clearly not excited about Lin or Omer as well.

7. teebone21

teebone21 Member

hell I wouldn't be happy either

8. carayip

carayip Member

Yeah, it's weird. Every question of his seemed like directing into a positive approach but McHale still said negative things.

9. Raven

Raven Member

This is the type of yapping that I am convinced got Jeff and Rick replaced.

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Stop the presses, the coach is actually competitive and wants to win?!

God forbid, that type of attitude of his might actually taint the minds of our rookies and young players, as opposed to the loser mentality of this message board. The horror!

11. teebone21

teebone21 Member

winning is an outrange to guys on this forum. They would perfer to be the bobcats of the west

12. teebone21

teebone21 Member

outrage i meant lol

13. Raven

Raven Member

By whining about the lack of veterans, McHale is lowering expectations and front loading excuses for poor team play. It's the same thing that T-Mac used to specialize in. It doesn't matter whether it's true or not. A head coach should not be publicly undercutting the front office in that manner. Period.

Need more proof?

Read the quote again, but imagine that T-Mac is saying those words, not McHale.

1 person likes this.
  14. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

Man I wish we still had Adelman. Hopefully Mchale quits early in the season... then we can see our younglings develop

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

Lowering expectations? What for?

Rockets fans already expect... or more accurately, actually hope for a bottomless season. You cheer for it. So what's more to lower?

What McHale is doing is what he has always done: speak his mind, and tell the truth.

The good news for McHale is I think this team will pleasantly surprise him. The bad news for you is I think this team will pleasantly surprise him.

16. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Successful people expect the worst and prepare for the best. Unsuccessful people expect the best and prepare for the worst.

17. redhotrox

redhotrox Member

Yeah, all the talk about how he wishes he had other stuff than what he got stuck with is pretty off-putting to me too.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with McHale...If the losses start piling up next season who knows how he'll handle his frustration. He was already second-guessing his decision to coach last year when things got a little rough, and now he's in for an even bumpier ride...

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Yup, at least Adelman is still enjoying himself while losing in Minnesota.

19. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The thing that stood out to me is the part that when you're losing, the solution is always work harder. Now, I like the no-nonsense approach and putting emphasis on working hard but that is also hiding from taking responsibility. It could also mean that your sets don't work, you're not putting guys in their proper position, you're not allowing them to play the right style that fits them, you're not playing certain guys enough or not the right ones together etc. I am afraid McHale is very limited in his thinking and his options (sets) so not very optimistic.

Then again, Rudy T did wonders in the early 90s but not much with the end 90s / beginning of 2000s. At least he adapted to the team / players though and did it with a smile. Since many are down on McHale's reaction to not having veterans and sounding like he's not excited, how was Rudy T during those years with the young guns (2000-2003)?

20. Raven

Raven Member

McHale is lowering expectations and deflecting blame.