1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A With Kelvin Sampson [Rockets.com]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Oct 3, 2012.

1. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/qa-kelvin-sampson

Great interview. He talks about the starting 5, PPat, JLIn, rookies etc.... He had a couple of real good quotes about DMo and Royce. I know Royce is not at camp right now but Sampson has a great quote about him:

2. roxxy

roxxy Member

Yes that was a really good quote. But he was right about Royce being in the witness protection program when the ball isn't in his hands. I loved what he said about Patterson & people are still calling the guy a bum int he training camp thread.

"Patrick Patterson has probably been the leader of this team and I don’t know if we’ve had anybody who’s improved from one year to the next as much as Pat has. He’s been consistent and that’s what I think leadership is. You don’t have to say a whole lot but you’ve got to be there everyday and be consistent, and he’s been really good with that."

Also, I like that Sampson knows exactly what Lin needs to work on & it is precisely the same things that Lin himself said he needs to work on during the off-season.

"I think the biggest challenge for Jeremy is going to be taking care of the ball and being able to defend bigger, stronger, quicker, more athletic point guards. He’s got to get tougher in those areas. So Jeremy’s got some work to do but the thing I love about him is you look forward to coming in every day with him. Some guys will work grudgingly but Jeremy is a willing worker. He’s been tremendous to work with."

I also liked his response about being in the best possible shape they can be to run. If they don't run for 48 minutes they won't be able to subject there will on anybody. This was one of the better Q&A's imo.

3. crash5179

Lots of great quotes in that interview. You can basically tell who their starting five is at this point even though how will not say the names.

4. mirus

mirus Member

thank you crash.a lot of quotes i like what he says about white.

one interesting i found out in mchale & his interview on douglas. it seems douglas regain his form.i would like to see more of his scrimmages.hopefully he can get his shooting & confidence back.i think tony gets it this is the year he must put it all out when he voluntered in knicks summer league.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Really enjoyed reading this interview. Its obvious that Sampson is a great communicator. Whether it be in interviews or to his players, I really respect that.

-Also wanted to note the segment where he mentioned their use of analytics in defensive schemes. Im going to note this early in the season and see if I can break down what they are doing differently with shot contesting. Will be interesting to see how much better it makes them, especially with having one of the best defensive centers in the league guarding the paint.

6. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

7. solid

solid Contributing Member

Sampson is so impressive; I think he would make a great head coach. Every time I have heard him interviewed I just go wow.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Starting 5

Lin
    Martin
    Parsons
    Omer
    PPat

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Love how he has the same sentiments about this group as McHale(very young, unproven, will be really tough season) but everyone here applauds him and the McHale interviews result in a sh!tstorm. Hypocrisy at it's finest.

10. crash5179

That's what I took from the interview. He refered to Lamb and Jones as offense off of the bench and praised PPat to the point that its pretty obvious that he is the starter at this point. I think it's safe to say that none of the rooks head into training camp as the starter.

11. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

If PPT sux, sub in Lamb or Jones! :cool:

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fixed. :)

13. xclearscreen

xclearscreen Rookie

people don't see it yet but that's a very good line-up. in a few years, they will be saying "that Houston team was loaded, Miami didn't even have a chance!"