1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Q&A with Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stl1622dc, Sep 21, 2012.

1. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/qa-jeremy-lin

2. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

A humble and thoughtful person showing all around, despite JCF's best effort to stir up any controversy. Bravo, JLin!

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

He keeps bringing up building the right culture. That is very interesting. In GSW I know they have a great culture, it's very brotherly, there like a family. Steph Cury & a lot of those guys are still really close to Lin. Likely in NY he didn't like the culture they had built because he continues to stress how important that is to him. I like it. A bad team culture can be a big part of why a team loses.

4. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

That was awesome. That actually had meat in it. I hope to see more interviews like this with the other players; and if Omer can be a better-than-advertised offensive player - what a great bonus! Maybe those workouts with CD are having an effect?

Nice read. I've been a Rockets fan for 30 years and can't ever remember being this excited for the start of the season.

5. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

If Omer can be 70% of Gortat on O and 130% of Gortat on D, he'll be a very solid anchor in the middle.

6. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Nice! Well said! :)

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:p

8. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

One of the reason why I feel Jeremy Lin has high upside and the ability to fulfill it is in his ability to focus on 'deliberate practice', as opposed to many other players who gets in a lot of general work, shooting and playing pick-up ball etc.

Check out the book 'Talent is Overrated by Geoff Colvin'. A summary is here.
    http://www.drdouggreen.com/wp-content/Talent-Is-Overrated.pdf

You can see it repeated in his interviews, workouts, shooting drills etc how this is incorporated. Things like having separate coaches for shooting, upper body, lower body etc, working on a shooting release speed faster than Ray Allen, shooting at 48-50% angle, now working on left hand, or learning a specific thing from Chris Duhon/Raymond Felton, losing weight and maintaining strength to strengthen his knee for a full season (less injuries), last season training at Sparta Sports to increase side speed by ~30% (if I recall properly), improving his ability to maintain balance after being hit in the lane, cutting down on turnovers on specific reads etc etc ...

the guy knows what he is doing and what he needs to do to get better. And he was still getting hours of training each day while in Asia, working on specific skills by bring his training coaches with him.

Jeremy Lin might not be as good for a full season as he was in the 8 -12 game stretch, but he is going to be a much better player than he was in 2011-12 overall. I'd also be surprised if going left and turnovers are as glaring a weakness this year as it was last year (not to say that an off-season training can turn weaknesses into immediate strength, but I think it will be clearly improved)

Can't wait for the season to start

#8 mike_lu, Sep 21, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  9. RockSC

RockSC Member

Good read. Hopefully his work ethics will help our young guys to compete and work hard.

10. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

What a well spoken guy.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nice to hear that about Omer.

12. Arthurprescott2

Can't wait for the season to start... Let's see if all his off-season work translates to a noticeable difference on the court.

13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Nice interview, thanks for sharing. With regards to Omer, the guy is already better defensively than Gortat from what I've seen. He can handle his own against Dwight, that says a lot.

I am also very excited about this team, so glad we didn't bring back most of the guys from last year, we weren't going anywhere with that team. This group at least has potential to be a real team that in a few years from now have grown together and with the right players added (a veteran wing and veteran big or get lucky with a Zeller / Shabbaz / Wiggins / Noel), a deep championship run is very much possible. Let's hope Leslie understands this is the time to let youth develop and not worry about money or playoffs.

14. Omron

Omron Member

Lin = Student of Basketball

He's already penciled in as a future head coach in the league.

15. stl1622dc

stl1622dc Member

Seriously. He's watching film on Juan Carlos Navarro who only had 1 season in the NBA (2007-08) which was 3 years before Lin didn't get drafted. That's dedication to the craft.

16. roxxy

roxxy Member

He get's it.

17. BornTexan

BornTexan Rookie

Isn't that common sense or basketball basics 101? People act like he's a genius just because common sense has been lost among too many.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Please don't post the whole Q & A.....that's two days in a row it's been done, we really need a reminder..

19. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I hope this article wakes up the LOF and LOH (and LOFH). Those are the reasons why Lin is a Houston Rocket, not the off-the-court stuff.

20. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

yes, I believe Lin is a legit PG. He is a bball player first and foremost, while the off-the-court stuffs are bonus.