1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

putting francis' critics to rest.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tbui, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Then what do we do with Steve? Move him to the 2? You're suggesting something without giving an explaination...what else do we have but assumptions?
    Steve is a better OVERALL player, yes, but...forget about it.

I give up, this topic has been discussed a MILLION times here already this year alone. I'm tired of discussing how SF doesn't fit with the Rockets, I'll be glad when he's gone so I don't have to see threads like these anymore. I'm out.

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

How about make the best use of your talent, since that's what you get paid millions to do.

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Good post. I am a big Yao Ming fan and Rockets, instead of a steve fan, but I have to admit that I like a lot of things in this guy. This guy has heart and passion for the game, and he gives his 100% night in and out on the court. That just reminds me of AI. This guy also has great athleticism and talent. Heart and talent are the cornerstones for the game. Yes, he still lacks of another very very important piece, smarts. That led him to countless boneheaded plays, decisions, or even comments.

Certainly, nobody is untouchable when the right deals are presented. You might say Ming is untouchable, but what if we are talking about TD or KG? Die hard fans, including me, might still say what they want is the future. But what if someone is crazy enough to throw in Gino or Sam as well? Therefore, there is no point to argue whether SF3 is tradable, but the trades have to create win-win situation, otherwise who's dumm enough to do business with you? Taking a step back, if SF3 is as bad as some one here claims, how can you get a decent PG and PF for him? If you can't get decent value back, why would you want the trade? Unless you have some personal issue with him. Aren't we fans supposed to support the team and want the best of the team, instead of our own moods?

Yes, SF3 didn't lead us to the promising land in the past 4 years. But who can do that single handedly? TD? Kobe? Steve is not TD, but TD had Robinson and a good team. Spurs wouldn't even get TD if they didn't play to lose even after Robinson's coming back. Kobe had Shaq. But if SF3 can't do it alone, is that reason enough to get rid of him and try some unproved raw talents or mediocre vets? I don't think so. If he can't do it alone, what about let Ming and SF3 try together? And we are seeing great progress. Just look around, people are talking about Rockets as a playoff spot lock, and a potential formidable first round opponent. I don't remember the rockets are considered this way in the past 4 years. Isn't that progress enough for you to give a little more patience to wish them well and get better?

We are not going to win it all this year. If you think we should, maybe you are not a real Rockets fan, or basketball fan, or Yao fan, or SF fan, or even a sports fan. We all want the best for our team, but we have to be realistic enough not to jump on them when they are not the best, not yet. Any extremist is not healthy, we are not in the position to pick Minny, Kings, Spurs, or Lakers, they are all better than us in my opinion, although we do have a fair chance to give them some trouble . What we should do is to continue improve team chemistry. They are still far from perfect, but they are getting better. Can we say SF3 or someone else is cancer because of that? NO.

SF3 hasn't improved much for the past 4 years, because the game he's played. Now, he's having a new coach and a new system, and more importantly, a new Yao Ming, a confident, more aggressive Ming. He's adjusting and we can see his struggle and progress. Even if it's 2 steps forward, 1 step backwards, he's still improving constantly. No stock is rising or dropping straight forward, it's always zig-zag, what important is the trend.

Lots of posters are uncomfortable with his max contract. But we are not paying that money, there is a reason for the management to pay him max. I think that fans came to the game to see him in the past years is reason enough to pay him that.

For a team to win, they need 1, 2 punch. Be it left and right, or inside and outside. But they all need 1, 2 punch. We didn't have it before. SF3 and Cat are 1 and 1 light. Now we have that 1, 2 punch, with Ming and Cat, and we even have 1 light, and 2 light, in JJ and Cat. That looks promising to me, that looks a successful team in the future.

In conclusion, everyone can and should be criticized, including Ming and SF3, but not bashing. They win as a team, and lose as a team.

4. verse

verse Contributing Member

so the ability to make changes isn't part of the job you get paid millions to do?

5. real_egal

One little thing to add. When JVG decided to come here, undoubtably Ming was a big reason, but when he said part of the reason was SF3, I believe he really meant it. From his Knicks experience, he missed talents painfully. He saw talents in this team, especially in SF3 and Ming. He was confident that he could convert them to winners. I admit that JVG has far more bball IQ than I do. I am willing to give him, Ming, SF3, and the team more time. Meanwhile, I will try to enjoy and cheer for their wins.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Steve has made the changes, and while you constantly criticize him, he has been playing better and shooting better, minus the debacle against Pheonix.

But its up to the coach to get the best use of his talent. I just have a problem with coaches who have a system and aren't flexible. Jeff Van Gundy has never proven to be an offensive guru, so its not like he is free from criticism on this subject.

7. verse

real-egal:

i hear what you're saying. i just don't believe in converting talent. i believe you can tell/coach a player to play to a different strength than they normally do (e.g.: tell kelvin cato to concentrate more on rebounding than blocking shots). but don't believe in telling/coaching a player to play to what is - obviously - one of their weakest points. francis' weakest points are precisely what the team needs the most from the PG position.

i've watched all year long. stevie is giving it a damn good try, but it just isn't natural for him.

8. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

[Can't stop shaking head] ... Who assumed anything about you and Iverson? I think Iverson is one of many factors that has skewed what a star really is in this league, but I said "I don't know if it's because of this" that fundamentals and offensive efficiency do not get the credit they deserve. Please read, oh ye astute observer of the game.

verse, that is ridiculous, stop ssumming. Cease ASSSumming right now. The peg could be triangular, or crescent moon-shaped, or even like the silhouette of Thomas Hamilton. We don't know, but stop azzuming now. Porve you're not assummiing.

9. Juugie

Juugie Member

real_egal - This is the best post I've read on this board in months.

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I can understand that. Allen also is a free agent after next season. I agree on the defensive end, but for some reason I just think that Van Gundy's defensive scheme (so long as Yao Ming is in) will cover up a lot of individual defensive weaknesses, as has happened with Francis. Barry is a free agent, so I don't know if it would cost us both Steve and Cuttino. Deuce was kicking around ideas to come up with Allen/Barry with Mobley coming off the bench. I doubt Mobley would go for that, but that kind of backcourt firepower and depth would be ideal in my opinion.

11. GrEgOnOmIcS

GrEgOnOmIcS Member

I thought we were in a period of happiness? The rockets are going to the playoffs with a GREAT chance of getting to the second round. we have the 2nd best player at the most important postion, we now have vocal players with playoff experience ( M. Jackson, J.Jackson, Oakley). we have Francis who can score when needed but is deferring to Yao Ming. and we have two of the Nbas leading 3-point shooters (Mobley, Jackson). What more is wanted?

12. real_egal

I have to agree with you half-heartly:) Yes, he's strength is not court vision or passing skills. But I just hate to see we lose him over some mediocre nobodys. Whether 1 or 2 is the right spot for him, is arguable. As a Raptors fan as well after I moved here, do you know how much I pulled my hair, when I see VC always settle for jump shots instead of driving with passion like AI? Super athletism comes rare. With NBA expension, you will have more and more fundamentally sound good role players from all over the world, but you need luck and a bad team record to land some kids with great athleticism.

13. Toast

Toast Member

Classic.

14. real_egal

That's a nice surprise for me. So Yao fan and SF3 fan can get along:) I always believe it, just look at Ming and SF3 on the court, how close they are?! How can we break them? Working environment is very important for me, I guess same things apply to those players although the pay is not comparable. As time goes on, when their games harmonize more, wouldn't they become a role model in the league, especially for the Lakers?

15. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

I agree with Clutch totally, a guy like brent barry or ray allen would help the depth that this team really needs. Mobley and Francis are playing way to many minutes and that might be the reason the play somewhat poorly near the end of the game(fatigue).

16. verse

what is steve's strongest point? seriously.

17. Sane

Sane Member

It remains to be seen if the people who support keeping Steve have any betetr argument than

"We love Steve, he's been here 5 years, let's wait and see if he magically becomes a different player to compliment this sytem."

One way or another, whether Steve is included or not, this team needs a makeover. IMO, it would be best to get someone else to compliment Yao.

18. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

real_egal I loved your posts.. nice to read something well thought out and fair.. weird to be agreeing with Juugie but great posts.

J

19. real_egal

I guess the arguement was with Yao's improvement, the team is not failing now. What's the logic to say that's SF3's fault and he needs to go? If the team is losing playoff spot, you can make such claim. That's why we can argue whether it's SF's fault that we missed playoffs for 4 years. The ground does not exist right now, unless your goal for the team is to win it all this year. But even that doesn't happen. With all the names mentioned to replace SF who are supposed to compliment Yao better, how do you know they WILL be better for yao and the team? Same arguement can be made, can I say, that you want him go just because you don't like him?

20. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member