1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

putting francis' critics to rest.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tbui, Mar 19, 2004.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

How swiftly the good ole days have passed us by....days when mediocre, unproven poster talent was few and far between... when those lacking in clue knew not to broadcast their ignorance while the more "astuite" posters were in attendance... those were the days...

2. tbui

tbui Member

Please stop ssuming Clutch. You're making yourself look ridiclulous. In this era of Basketball much is depended on speed, agility, and ball handling. This isn't the 70's or 80's NBA when you were a young man. I do agree that fundmentals of the game is still important. It has always been the case that fundamentals are important. Look at your guy Brent Barry. Sure Brent Barry shoots 50 percent from the field and a high percentage from three, but what else does he bring to the table? Does he hustle like Steve Francis? Does he get his team second chances off offensive rebounds? Barry gets o.4 off rebounjds a game compared to SF 1.5 this season and a career 1.0 Offen rebound/game. Does Barry direct traffic as well? Does he lead his team by motivating them and giving his players confidence. I don't think so. Barry gets about 1.9 FT a game compared to SF 5.3. The point is SF drives to the paint creating contact, getting other people involved, while getting offensive I've seen both of these guys play in person while I was in the front row. Brent Barrt is not a leader or a starter in this league. He has never palyed more than 34 minutes in his career and never scored ore than 14. There may be a reason for it. And please stop assumming Clutch.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't really understand the #1 option thing. No one is saying to make Brent Barry the #1 option, but maybe we should be asking why we want a point guard as the #1 option. We are talking about PGs. Is Stevie the #1 option ... or should he be? Is Iverson a PG?

Yeah, but all Iverson ever did was win the one extra game against the guy (see: Allen, Ray) who never did anything... remember? :) Iverson did shoot 46% one year, but his shooting percentage has gone significantly down while his popularity has gone significantly up.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Actually that is exactly the point of the Francis critics. We don't need (want) a PG that is our number 1 option.

5. tbui

tbui Member

pippendagimp, what's your point? so what I typed astute wrong. I don't spellcheck. what's your point?

6. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Hey, we've got two guys now that actually know about basketball, so all the rest of us low basketball IQ puds just STFU and wait for these two to post again. Maybe we can learn something.

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL. Pot... kettle.

It's like you want to put the two players in a decathlon or something and prove Francis would come out on top. Would I TRADE Francis straight up for Barry? No ... I feel the value Francis should have on the market could bring more than that. If I had to pick the right fit with Yao Ming, it would be Barry in a heartbeat... and I'd use the excess money/value/credit (whatever) to shore up other positions.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Honestly,

I think the Brent Barry and Ray Allen bacourt vs. the Steve Francis vs. Cuttino Mobley backcourt is a legitmate trade to look at for both teams. Brent Barry would be a nice third option and he does run a pretty good fastbreak, and Ray Allen is a better shooter. The only problems I would have are Barry's age, and Ray Allen's health. For all the knocks against them, Francis and Mobley are a fairly durable set of players, and if you had Seattle's backcourt, you would need Seattle's bench players which is not a bad group of guards themselves.

I also think you might lose something on the defensive end, as much as a matador Francis is, he does bring something to the table with his athletecism on the defensive end, and Barry's defense leaves even more to be desired than Steves.

9. tbui

tbui Member

who cares about spelling? I never cared about it because I know if I had to write a report for school I'd be on top. I don't care about spelling on this site. I'm sure no one's that stupid to not understand that people make mistakes. As I said before I don't spellcheck. I care about content--what you have to say. And what you said Clutch, was ridiculous. You ASSUMED I like Iverson for explosiveness. I'm just an astute observer of the game. I've been playing and watching basketball all my life.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Francis isn't the number one option anymore but that doesn't mean he's a waste. Do you think Kobe is the best complement to Shaq. Kobe's no more of a spot up shooter than Francis is. A guy doesn't need to be a spot up shooter to play with a dominant big man.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Oh, my bad...I probably could've been more specific...anyways, these 2 quotes from your initial post had really caught my fancy"

"It's as if most of these people don't even watch the game or have any understanding of it."

"if you ever picked up a ball and played any sport, or if you are an astuite observer of the game, then you'd understand."

So in conclusion, I guess I was kinda just saying something to the effect that it was foolish of you to logon in here and start denigrating respected posters simply because they may be indirectly driving down the trade value of your mint condition Stevie action figure collection. We clear now?

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

no, Clutch. that's ridiculous. we should just continue trying to make this square peg fit into that round hole, cuz the square peg is flashier!

13. verse

btw,

pippendagimp, you're still my favorite poster! :D

14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Hmmm, if its your opinion that a Cat/Steve backcourt would be better than an Allen/Barry backcourt with Yao Ming then I'd say that playing and watching basketball 'all your life' hasn't taught you much. But thats just my opinion and you what they say about opinions...

15. tbui

tbui Member

To PIPPENDAGIMP.

Respected posters? I'm talking about those who vehemently attack Steve Francis. Those who have a ardent desire to see this guy gone. These are the individuals I'm talking about. I'm not talking about those who are civil and voice their opinion about Steve Francis. I'm talking about those are forceful, disrespectful and talk as if they have no understanding of the game at all. We clear?

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Good god tbui, its not like we want him dead and thrown in the river...just traded. He'll go to another team and you can root for him all you want there...it'll be okay...

17. tbui

tbui Member

Can you please stop assuming Svere Rockets Fan. That's the problem with communication here. Several have assumed what I've said. ASSUMPTION. You assumed I want Cat and Steve in the backcourt. I never said that. I said that Franchise is a better player than those players proposed in thsi forum. I think Franchise should be given a chance to play one more year. And I think he's improved greatly, and that people are missing that part when watching him play. So please stop ASSUMING!!

18. verse

in favor of an efficient point guard and another player (sg/sf/pf) that addresses our team's needs....

why is this so hard to comprehend? :confused:

19. verse

tbui:

what makes more sense to you?

a) force a talented player to play in a way that is not natural to him; or

b) acquire a player that plays that way naturally, at a cheaper price...and acquire another player w/the boatload of cash you'd have left over?

i'm curious. which one?

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Thanks man.....as you know, this is an extra special week on the pdg network.....our main man scottie has called it quittens yet again and this time for all eternity :cool: