1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Putting a dog down

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CJLarson, Jan 12, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I'm very sorry to hear about your dog. I was always of the opinion that dogs should be allowed to die naturally, to maximize the time we get to spend with them.

Then I realized that view was completely selfish. If your dog doesn't enjoy the time it has left, the humane thing to do is to stop its suffering.

If I could neg rep Stupid FatBastard, I would. If I could ban him, I would.

2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Would you please comment on what medication your dog is on...for pain, etc.? Have you exhausted the options for treating the dog's pain? Has the vet said there is nothing more we can do for the dog per the pain?

3. Fatty FatBastard

Sorry to sound so callous in my initial post, but I've had a dog that was stolen when it was just a little over a year old, and one that was run over as a child. And my sister had a kitten that was accidentally run over. That one still gets to me.

My point was that we should all be so lucky to have a dog live out their full life, and you have to understand that dogs live 12-14 years. 16 is rare longevity for a dog. I know the OP is only 18 so I should've been a little lighter in my tone.

The interesting part is that a close friend of mine just had to put down her cat. Before that, she was having to do this regimen where someone had to hold the cat down while she administered this whole drug feeding thing, and she did that for a few weeks knowing full well the end was near. She even put a ton of stuff about the cat "saving her life" and had paw prints as her profile pic. I said the exact same thing to her that I did to the OP on here, and even made fun of her "saving my life" quote. She didn't get all upset of mortified like half of you here did.

Maybe because we are friends? Or maybe because people here are just way too touchy? Or maybe my tone comes across differently in person than it does on here?

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

First off I am sorry to hear about your dog.

Can't the spca put him down humanely.

5. worzel gummidge

Overdose on sleeping pills? When it's out wrap it in a plastic sheet to make sure it's dead before burying?

6. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

All except for pit bulls..

7. Hicklander

Hicklander Contributing Member

BTW the way they do it is they overdose them on barbiturates which makes them stop breathing very painless

8. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

The first few posts made my eyes watery. Damn.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Reminds me of when I was putting my last dog Chloe down. They gave her the Propofol to knock her out. Then, I asked if they could trim a few nails and shave some hair...so I would have a memento. Then, the doctor asked if I wanted ink paw prints made. So, I thought I would like that.

Unfortunately, they already knocked her out once and, since Propofol is short lasting in effect, my dog Chloe woke up because the doctor was taking too long to make the paw prints. And, they had to give her another injection of Propofol. I indicated I didn't want to be around when they actually did the OD on barbituates but only for knocking her out.

This kind of made me feel a little guilty as I said my goodbyes to her face and then my dog started waking up again.

Oh...who the hell am I kidding? I feel guilty regardless even though there is no reason for me to feel guilty really. I chalk it up to to just being very sad and, for whatever reason, guilt comes along for the ride. Screw you, GUILT. I did nothing wrong. Leave me alone!!!

10. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

People trip when we see the same threads like that daddy-daughter piano thread. I guess this one has a poll.

11. davo

davo Contributing Member

:(
    Sorry about your dog.

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Sorry to hear about your dog being in pain. I don't want to reassure you because I don't know why your dog is in pain but if its in pain because of arthritis which is common when dogs get older, you can just get your dog on some pain relievers to prolong and improve its quality of life a little more. If its in pain and there's no alternative but to end its suffering then take it to a vet. They'll inject it and it'll go to sleep. I had to put my old boxer down this past 4th of July and it was painful but it was time. Best wishes to you and your family.

13. flipmode

flipmode Member

fatty's post isn't that bad. not the kindest choice of words, but late-teen-age dogs are rare. had to put down one of ours recently at age 17. rough experience. was the gf's dog, but i loved him all the same.

call the vet and let them do it. the most humane thing to do for a dog in pain. it's a sadly peaceful thing to hold the dog as it breathes its last breath. plus, if you're financially not in a good spot, you're going to end up spending more on meds and cleaning supplies than one final visit.

you can tell it in a dog's eyes when they know they're not going to make it much longer. that image is going to be burned into my mind forever. :(

14. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

sorry the rest of us are such whiny p*****s that wouldnt know what to do with our lives without your strongly worded but meant well life lessons :grin:

when i get old, i want to be like fatty

15. Fatty FatBastard

BTW, a friend of mine has a dog that they're looking to get adopted. This was her post:

1.5 yr. Boxer named london. She is with lonestar boxer rescue, but my neighbor is fostering her. She may be sent back to the fam that abandoned her if she doesnt find a home. She is super docile and so sweet. Someone please...adopt her!

[​IMG]

16. updawg

updawg Member

fatty get that dog a new name and it might have a chance...London? Who you hanging out with.

OP, Sorry for your situation and unfortunately I'm probably not too far behind with my 11.5 yr old dog. Don't let her suffer too long if you can't help her anymore.

Surfguy you did the right thing, nothing to feel guilty about.

its never easy

17. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Just thought I'd update you guys. They put him down while I was at my Dad's house. They gave him 2 sleeping pills, and he went to sleep after about an hour. He went peacefully.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

RIP little guy +

May he find himself in a land of unlimited belly rubs and open fields.

19. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Poor pupppy :(