1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Put Jalen Green in the MIDDLE of the floor... as PG or otherwise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Nov 1, 2021.

1. HP3

HP3 Member

I have no idea why everyone is so ready to do that. We just have to have patience. Why are you guys so ready to put this 21 year old on the bench? Why are we panicking about how we look 6 games into the season being a bad team. Like you guys are talking about people's "roles" when these are young kids learning the ropes. Of course we arent good. There arent many young teams that do look good.

Unless you guys can give me another example of what year 2 of a rebuild process is supposed to look like?

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

The craziest thing for me right now is that people have gone from "KPJ has all star potential" to "make him a 6th man" without remotely considering he may still turn into a starter or all star quality player as a wing even if the Pg experiment fails. It's like PG or bust for some people, despite the kid playing as a wing for years before now. I say we don't try and box anybody into any position right now, see what actually works for them and then decide who fits where or needs to be traded.

DeBeards and HP3 like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Of course you'd rather see Green mess up instead of Porter.

Because you're a biased idiot who is clueless about basketball.

Green is not a PG and there are ways to get him to his best spots (like the middle) without putting unnecessary pressure and new expectations on him.

Green Only Fans are foolish to want this, especially right now when he is already struggling playing his most natural position.

This season is a wash, be patient and allow him to improve his 3ball, decision making, handles, strength and defense instead of setting him up to fail by having him learn another position.

DeBeards, Corrosion and Dobbizzle like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not unless they play for GSW.

They also play 5 out, just not all game.

5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Porter needs to pass more and stop dribbling.

Ramo$e likes this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I believe Clippers play the same offense as we do but they play their shooters but not Houston. We cannot allow Brooks and Josh to get minutes in any game. Augustin needs to ride the bench and let Josh and Brooks to play. Start Sengun and Martin and sit Theis and Tate!

DeBeards and PeterKingX like this.
  7. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I never said he couldn't get the ball in his spot. That's not the problem Doofy Rock. The problem is the person who has the ball is not getting it to him. If Green shouldn't play point guard neither should KPJ.

What exactly do I have to be bias about? KPJ at PG is not it. I don't know why you can't see that. Oh thats right because you clearly don't know basketball. It's not about being a Green only fan. It's about doing what is best for his development. I want to see what my draft pick can do instead of watching KPJ do his best Harden impersonations. Learn another position? You sound sooo silly. He is a guard period. Eventually our veteran guards will leave and KPJ will be out....it's better for him to do it now than trying to get it on the fly.

Yet I don't know basketball. lol Stop trying to hold the kid back. Let him be great Doofy.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

9. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are definitely a moron.

If you are mentally challenged as I suspect then I apologize for the abuse you've suffered.

Ramo$e likes this.
  10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Engaging with you is the only abuse, self inflicted apparently. Might as well be talking to a rock riding a short bus on the way to remedial class. lol

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

To be fair, Chris Paul might be the most valuable player to never win a title. He’s turned tanking teams into bubble teams, and bubble teams into title contenders. Even in his advanced age, the Rockets are .500 if he plays.

DeBeards likes this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Only because it'd take the Point God to actually make something work in Silas' "system" with this team. It didn't work with 2 former all stars and one supposed borderline all star last year, so far this year I think my nephew could scribble a few lines on a piece of paper and stumble into a better offense to run.

JayZ750, Tuckankhamun and DeBeards like this.
  13. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

JG needs a playmaker/pass-first point guard. Besides being a slasher to the basket in G-league, many of his points came from good passes and easy layups/dunks. He is always looking to score so I do not see him fit as a PG.

KPJ is a shooting guard that is being forced to play point guard at the moment. Also, he can ball but he just seems not mentally ready to play consistently at an elite level in the professional league nor handle the pressure to lead.

Sengun, Martin & Garuba needs more fkin playing time. Cannot stand Silas for giving them such measly playing minutes. We sure are not winning much with JG/KPJ experiment then I do not understand why Silas is holding back these players.

JayZ750 likes this.
  14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We're not talking about roles as in guy that starts or comes off the bench, or is a passing outside in big more than inside out or whatever.

We're talking about can this guy play PG. Is it possible that KPJ develops into a great PG still? Sure. But its also perfectly reasonable to look at the first 6 games plus pre-season and say (1) at this point, the way he's doing it/trying it is not it, and (2) in order it to happen, things need to change. I think at its best, its VERY best, continuing to push this approach, KPJ maybe becomes a much lesser version of the PG that Harden was here. Overdribbling, lots of iso, not lots of movement, but with a historically great great great offensive player, can work wonders (see Harden, Luka, etc.). That's the "style" of offense they're running, which I guess makes some sense given Silas was most recently with Luka and they had such amazing ORtg. But again, we're talking a much lesser version of that with KPJ at his best. Its kind of painful to watch (and has issues occasionally in the playoffs) even with this historically great players, I don't really want to watch it with the lesser version (much less the current really bad version of it).

Are there other issues not helping KPJ? Like is there a lack of spacing? Yes. Is there a lack of an offensive system? Yes. Is there bad talent around him? Yes.

He has a 30.9% tov%! He's passing to people that aren't there. He's trying "simple" passes to cutting bigs and they're too low, or too high, or getting tipped and intercepted. Not all of them, obviously. He is an nba player after all.

So I go back and think about last year. Better talent around him? Not really. EG was out. Wall was out much of the time. KellyO was better than Theis no doubt. In his 50banger game, the starting lineup was Armoni, him, Tate, KellyO and Wood. He had a 25/7 game against GSW - starting lineup him, Sterling Brown, House, Tate and Wood. The rest of the starting lineup was 2-11 from three that game. The team as a whole was 7-27.

The main thing about last year, to me, was he wasn't asked to be the PG, he wasn't asked to set everything up, to run most breaks, etc, etc. It didn't LOOK like this give it to one ball dominant PG and let him create with not a lot of movement. I've said this before, but it seems like the more time he's gotten with Silas, and the more time Silas has had with these guys now with a full offseason, the worse the offensive has become.

It could be mental, or it could be, this guy is better suited to be a SG/SF that can operate with the ball in his hand and create, and if he eventually gets good enough at that, you can try him at PG. I mean, James Harden didn't just get slotted into the PG spot the second he came over from OKC. It took years of his usage gradually going up, his assists gradually going up, etc. While he was doing a lot of PG ish stuff, it wasn't as PG... he wasn't taking the ball up from under the basket, trying to direct everybody all the time, etc. This is a "David Carr" situation to me. Instead of throwing him into the fire and having him learn and get better, its just as possible (and so far is what's happening) he will continue to get frustrated and become gun shy.

Jalen "sucks" currently, we get it. Jalen isn't the only other player on the team. Tate looks worse than last year. Theis doesn't look good (and he might suck in general, but he looks even worse than he has historically). Wood doesn't look great and looks worse than last year.

Bench one, install more of a motion offense or any different style of offense, change up roles, whatever. Square peg, round hole at the moment. From what I've seen, I don't think continuing to try and push said square peg through round hole will eventually wear down the corners and it'll fit....

but I guess we'll see.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Their inexperience are in each other's way.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

17. fchowd0311

Lol

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

100% accurate when said.

19. fchowd0311

I think it's the fact that people just don't know how difficult it is for 19 year old guards in the league. People saw Green's bad advanced stats in horrible situations and assumed *he's the worst player on the team".

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

.... he was at the time.

Something can be true at one time, that doesn't mean it'll always be that way.

Right now Jabari Smith is the worst player on the team, dragging everyone else down. I'd expect that to change too

hakeem94 likes this.