1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Put Jalen Green in the MIDDLE of the floor... as PG or otherwise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Nov 1, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Most people don't bother to actually read full posts...

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

I could careless where he attacks.

In fact, Green should be attacking from 3verywhere on the court instead of just one predetermined spot/area.

It's the suggestion of making him a PG that is laughable.

Dobbizzle and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

Ironic considering his greatest strength is SCORING and reason why drafted #2 overall.

Green needs to maximize his strengths, put him position to succeed, instead of adding even MORE unrealistic expectations on him.

Having him transition to PG is ludicrous.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I am all for sitting Porter and letting him heal 100%.

And watch what happens with Green as PG.

5. JayZ750

Read the post. I said as PG, or otherwise.

This thread is about putting Green in the middle of the court.

As someone else noted, the situation currently is what it is, what is your objection to seeing him attack from the middle of the court, instead of teh wings?

He's not attacking from everywhere because the PG, who is also horrible, is occupying that spot consistently, and the coach isn't really capable of designing an offense that lets people attack from different spots.... which would be perfectly fine IF they were good from the spots they are in.

#85 JayZ750, Nov 1, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  6. HP3

HP3 Member

WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING FROM A 19 AND 21 YEAR OLD.

7. JayZ750

What do you mean? What do my expectations have to do with anything?

They're not good ... AND more importantly, not getting better and don't look well suited to the roles they've been asked to do. As much/more for KPJ than Green honestly - 6 games is a tiny sample size, but if I take those 6 plus the preseason, at no time have i looked at him and thought "that's a PG".

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Green chooses to attack from side.

There is nothing stopping him from attacking down the middle.

In fact, the few times he did so he drove into a crowd that collapsed multiple defenders to easily deny him.

He needs to add a Euro step, a stop and pop or a floater to his arsenal because all his drives are getting predictable.

Either drops it off to cutter or dives into teeth of defense resulting in miss or block. Or if we are lucky, FTA.

Green doesnt just need to improve his 3ball but add more tricks to his bag.

Otherwise he will just be a transition finisher on offense and a liability on defense.

9. JayZ750

Well then I'm watching a different game than you are. In the game I'm watching he's not choosing to attack fromt eh side, that's where he's getting the ball on these "plays" they run. KPJ is in the middle of the court almost exclusively.

This isn't a "where he attacks from chart", but even in his shooting, you can see he's more comfortable shooting from the middle (so yes, he does get the ball at top middle sometimes, lol).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/g/greenja05/shooting/2022

He's particularly bad at that left side wing spot. He's bad at this spot when he's not shooting as well. He's just not good in this spot.

But we're not going to agree, so let's just watch the next few games and see where he excels (lol, if anywhere!) and is worse.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's used to his athleticism being enough and not needing any kind of skill, that's why he's been blocked at the rim either 10 or 11 times this season already.

GotGame15 and NewAge like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Then Green should call for a screen and re-screen if necessary to get himself to spot he wants.

But again, if CF wants him as PG then let's see it.

Sit Porter until he's 100% while Rockets experiment with Green running the show.

12. JayZ750

He's 13-24 at the rim. At least a couple of those "blocks" are fouls... BUT that's not an excuse cause you can only get the calls you get. The 11 misses were definitely not all blocks, and 13-24 isn't "great" but if i'm searching for things to be happy about lol, him getting to the rim at least 4x a game and shooting over 50% on them despite the fact that he goes "crashing" in there regularly and gets almost zero benefit of the call is a positive to me. This is of course neither here nor there on court positioning.

My issues with Jalen are 90% shooting, specifically three point shooting obviously - if he can't shoot, they done ****ed up FOR SURE. And 10% bulk. Even when folks say he's not a "great" ballhandler, some of its bulk related. See the Avery Bradley steal last night... he tried to bump Bradley off, and Bradley didn't budge lol.

Regardless... again, this is why I'd like to get him attacking from different positions on the court.

Below is a clip that epitomizes all the things I've brought up. Green has no problem getting by his defender on the wing without a pick... albeit its not a great defender. He meets a defender at the rim. He gets fouled, but it isn't called, and I guess to the refs defense the defender (Melo) did initially go straight up and get some ball first before swiping Jalen's wrist. Meanwhile Jalen definitely could use more tricks to his bag... but who was he supposed to pass it to there? Where/why is there no cutter? If no cutter, how come the guys on the line aren't spread out so the resulting 2/3 defenders can't intercept every pass option? This is in part an issue because of the attack from the wing. I want to see more attacks from center with him, where once he's by a defender the help defender is pulling off a corner three guy or the like. As noted, he did have a nice beat his defender and pass to the cutting Wood in the second half for an assist. It looks like this was somewhat on the wing, but it was the right wing. He's better on the right wing, probably because he's right handed... and again, doesn't have the bulk to bounce off defenders as much attacking from the left. Plus Wood cut along side him giving him the either or option.

AGAIN, these are just suggestions... because Green will continue to start (most likely), and he is what he is right now. So I'm walking through changes that might be helpful. Dusty Baker had to change his lineup last night... you can only stick with what isn't working for so long.

#92 JayZ750, Nov 1, 2021
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

...if only we had better PG on the roster who can help direct the troops on the court and teach these young guys how to do it. Maybe a former all star who injuries have made a shell of his old self, but who still understands the game on another level that these 19/20yr olds would benefit from. It's just a shame we don't have a player like tha- oh wait, WE DO HAVE A PLAYER LIKE THAT!

....btw, I agree with the OP that JG attacking from the middle could be beneficial but I think the bigger problem to JG's effectiveness is about how bad KPJ has been trying to be a traditional PG and failing miserably. He doesn't know how to get himself to spots that generate shots for others - he just kind of dribbles into random spots and hopes the defense adjusts accordingly and when they don't he tries to force the pass regardless. Green's teammates also don't know where they need to be when Green is attacking - the collected bball IQ is just really low on this team - not everyone's fault, but just a symptom of a really young/inexperienced team.

#93 glimmertwins, Nov 1, 2021
    Dobbizzle and 34to11 like this.
  14. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

You just said put him in a position to succeed but he's played best when he has controlled the ball. Granted it was summer league but he didn't have KPJ waiving him off and constantly turning it over. I rather watch Green mess up at PG than KPJ when he clearly shouldn't be setting up anybody's offense...not being able to go right handed at a pro level and dibbling off his own foot. Green might not be the PG solution but it'll be better than what we are running now. House should be coming off the bench still. KPJ can play SG/SF. Honestly I rather have Augustine play PG than KPJ if not Green. Overall we are bad so there is no harm in getting Green the PG experience. Even if he never plays point guard it would be good to have him comfortable doing it in case heads needs to in the future you don't want him looking like deer in the headlights. He got flustered when they full court pressured in summer league he needs to work those kinks out now. Also Green will pass the ball unlike others.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, the best position for him to succeed is playing against Summer League caliber talent, he can find that in the G League. He can learn how to play basketball down there while developing his body AND his fans will finally have some highlights from him to rub one out to.

Win-win.

Ramo$e likes this.
  16. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

Let me save everyone the trouble of the next high traffic thread if we follow this direction, "Jalen Green is NOT a pg."

Jalen is to weak. He will lose that ball to ball pressure. Right now, he has nothing in his bag to trust him to beat his man one-on-one. All he's done is is rely on his speed and first step so far. Other than that he cannot consistently drive against grown professionals.

What he has shown is that he is a willing passer, but that doesnt make him a pg though. DJ is a pg and Wall is a pg. Unfortunate for us, the former has been playing like trash, and the latter doesnt want to play at all.

D-rock, GotGame15 and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. JayZ750

He has the best single offensive game of any rookie so far.

people would take you more seriously if you tried to be less antagonistic and just actually have discussions on their merits. Nobody needs to read anything about masturbation and resorting to such middle school debate tactics weakens your argument. Imo.

bballjunkie and Ramo$e like this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

We're not gonna get Ray Allen / Reggie Miller type pick and pin downs for Green , that's just not part of the modern 5 out offense.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Seems like you and I are watching the same game ..... I posted this in another thread -

JayZ750 likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Porter is clearly a very gifted player but he's not a point guard , I'd like to see him in EG's role as the 6th man and give him the green light to shoot & attack ..... the creation for others should be secondary and come off of his attacking the rim.

Ramo$e and JayZ750 like this.