1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Put Jalen Green in the MIDDLE of the floor... as PG or otherwise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Nov 1, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This gets back to my main point of this thread, which is less who is the worst, or who should be point, and mostly, put Green in the middle of the floor.

In the middle of the floor he can use his straight line athleticism more.

Even at the wing, he HAS gotten by his man, but its much more rare... cause there's less space (go in corner, other guard himself either at the top or the other wing where his defender can play help, etc.), and its less about straightline athleticism.

Ramo$e likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Neither should be the point - but KPj is a much better option at the point as proven last year when surrounded by NBA players.

Right now what he has is a mess around him....Green has no clue where to go, or how to play, clearly he HAS had the ball in his hand at every stop and is just now learning how NOT to have it.

Combine that with KPj trying to learn point, and you have a major chemistry issue.......if you want to start Green, you can't start KPJ and vice-versa.

UNLESS your objective is to completely suck and get a top 3 pick, then you limit Sengun too because he is the only one that is actually a true NBA ready player.

DD

Dobbizzle, D-rock, tycoonchip and 2 others like this.
  3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Peak sarcasm. lol

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. CXbby

CXbby Member

It should be easier for him playing off the catch, attacking close outs in the triple threat. Playing him at the wing is to help him, not hinder him. I shudder to think what it would look like having him try to create off the dribble all game instead…

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

And yes, neither should be the point is the real answer. And if you can’t get a real pg, run the offense through Sengun. I won’t be pretty, but it will look better than this.

Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I have no idea why Silas benches Sengun. I thought he should have been the starter since day 1 of pre season.

But that's not really the point. Whether or not Sengun starts is an independent decision on what to do with Green.

Right now Green and Gordon plays exactly the same minutes, and Gordon plays a lot of minutes with the starters. It's not like anyone is is getting screwed out of development because Green is starting. Or are you purely talking about optics, but Gordon has never complained about coming off the bench, he likes the role.

I have zero objection with Green coming off the bench or Starting. He's the first the to get pulled from the starting 5 usually in the first quarter for Gordon.

I think only Wood and Sengun are the ones that deserve to start, otherwise we can bench anyone else. I do wish they would stagger KPJ and Greens minutes, they don't play well next to each other

D-rock likes this.
  7. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He looked pretty solid when he did have it. It's not like KPJ has better handles. They are the same there. Neither have a real ankle breaking crossover.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I actually think he breaks down his man most of the time when he tries, the problem isn't really beating his man, it's what to do when he gets past the first defender. Aka hegets blocked or stripped. Althought last night he got the line a whole bunch of times when he got to the rim.

But I would rather he surveys the floor more instead of either jacking up and 3 or passing it back to KPJ

JayZ750 and Mr Woods like this.
  9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

One thing he really needs to stop doing is slowing down once he's beaten his man to try and draw a Harden-esque foul, it never works. His best drives are always the ones he hits at pace. He takes his own momentum away which takes away the only weapon he has in the paint right now. He needs to beat the guy and then fly at the rim with his athleticism and he'll get much better results.

D-rock likes this.
  10. CXbby

CXbby Member

You can call it optics, I’m just saying whatever logic that has Silas benching Sengun should apply to Green as well, whatever logic that has him starting Green should apply to Sengun. There shouldn’t be a double standard. Unless, god forbid, there isn’t any logic at all behind these lineup decisions. Or worse, I’d hate to think it’s politics. The Wolves brought the number one pick Anthony Edwards off the bench, cha brought the number 3 pick and ROY Lamelo off the bench. I’d hate to believe that an once proud organization like the Rockets would have to kowtow to some 19 year old nobody outside of preteens on Instagram. Gsw started Wiseman off the bat, and he was so horrible that they had to bench him half way through the season, now his value is in the dumpster. Would not want the rockets to go down that path.

Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't disagree with you in any way. I also doubt we are kowtowing to these imaginary preteen fans Green has. I just think they want to develop our No. 2 pick. It's probably the same reason why KPJ is starting and Wall is not active at all.

Shouldn't we lobby Sengun to start using the logic that Green is starting vs the other way around? I mean that's what's more important right? I just don't think it makes too much of a difference whether it's Gordon or Green in the starting line up if they play the same minutes.

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

100% agreed.

I’ve been saying this since game 1. Jalen needs to be the primary initiator.

It isn’t about who has the tighter handles. It’s about their style of play and putting them in the best positions to succeed.

Last year in Brooklyn kyrie went to Harden and told him to be the pg and he’d be the sg. Not that James handles are bad, but Kyrie has tighter handles…but he recognized James would be better at being the primary distributor and setting everything up while he could mainly focus on attacking and scoring.

These guys are probably too young to come to this decision on their own. They need a coach that can see these things and make it happen.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they need to mess around with the lineup until it looks like a cohesive team.

14. JayZ750

Regardless of what it should be, im just showing what it has been for him thus far through summer league and some NBA games.

He seems to have more success when he's the initiator at the top of the key past the 3 point line.

Watch the next couple of games and see if this is the case.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stark raving bonkers idea!

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

I’m just in favor of a merit based promotion standard, instead of a double standard. And yes, ideally that results in both of them starting.

17. JayZ750

Watch the next few games and see if Jalen does better:

- pushing the ball up from outlet passes
    - attacking from the top center, not the wings

Let's see if what I'm seeing continues.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

He can't score, can't defend, has loose handle and had almost as many turnovers as KPJ on fewer touches.

Why set this kid up to fail????

Let him learn his BEST position first.

CF is just crazy sometimes.

Sengun has more natural playmaking instincts and is the more well rounded and NBA ready player but THIS is your solution???

19. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Why are you against him attacking from the Middle, or on transitions. I don't get it. It's just a way of attacking instead of from the wings. It doesn't mean it's making him dribbling more.

the defense is also less set up during transitions, that's why he got to the line 6 times last game.

20. JayZ750

He has a 12.7% tov rate. KPJs is at 30.9%. KPJ has more than double his number of turnovers.
    What are you talking about?

90% of Jalen's problems right now is he can't shoot. That's it.

Just watch in the next few games. The idea is to allow him to do some of the things he's better at.

I contend he's better attacking as the ballhandler on the break than the finisher (this could be because our current ballhandlers suck so our breaks always look like ****), and attacking from the center of the court offensively.

Let's watch and see.

Dobbizzle, dmoneybangbang and 34to11 like this.