1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Put Jalen Green in the MIDDLE of the floor... as PG or otherwise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Why are you concerned with sucking so bad? It would be worse to have Wall play every other game and still suck. lol We still need other high draft picks to put along side Green. It's better to let Green have free reign to make mistakes now rather than to start benching him on an already terrible team. Even if Green was benched that wouldn't stop KPJ from turning the ball over so. The ball just needs to come out his hands.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't care about winning the games, I just want to see positives. Forcing one of the worst players on our roster into the starting lineup just because of his draft position is stupid and harms the rest of the players on the team.

It's the reason Garuba isn't playing, he's got potential, but right now he's kind of terrible at basketball. Why not just give him "free reign to make mistakes now"? Why not just start ALL the rookies?

Green would learn a lot more playing against bench players than by getting schooled by starters.

NewAge likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not opposed to that either... I just don't think there's much of a chance it happens.

4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Bro Idk. lol I wanted to draft Mobley but Green is here now so I'm not going to stress about it. For stated previous reasons obviously like we already had KPJ I didn't see the need for Green unless we were completely rebuilding. We still have vets from 2 seasons ago. Also because we have had a lot of players come through from the G league. Never has their G league experience made them a star or a shoe in all-star. Green has the tools but he needs to develop more at a pro level. It will take time I don't know why people couldn't see he was a project and not NBA proven. He needs to be more aggressive once he realizes it's his team he will. Seems like he's just trying to fit in, like when Harden first got to Brooklyn.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Suggs defense has been very good and will at least end up a two way starter, if not quite the star that I expected(can still happen). His finishing at the rim was made to look better playing in the spacing Gonzaga created, I knew this but underestimated its impact. Also I expected his playmaking to be much better once he had the ball more vs sharing it at Gonzaga, that part hasn’t lived up to my expectations either. I’ll also say this, his post draft interviews really turned me off, where he very clearly expressed his disappointment and sadness for giving up football. In one interview he pretty much admitted that he chose basketball for the money, that’s a no go for me.

With that said, as far as comparisons, he has shot and scored just as inefficiently as Green, while he’s literally done everything else better, so that’s at least lived up to my expectations.

j@amc and Ramo$e like this.
  6. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

It doesn't harm the other players on the team. They better do like The Rock said and "know their role". If he doesn't play then he doesn't develop. If we were just going to play vets then why didn't we hire JVG?

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Two stooges backcourt

8. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

We'll never know because Green never has the ball nearly as much as Suggs. I wasn't trying to compare, just me personally, I don't like Suggs game. He's not bad but I think you might have just confirmed why. He's not really a basketball player I mean he is but really wants to play football. Yeah that's no go from me as well.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

I think it’s an even worse look when one of your rookies is outplaying all expectations, looking like one of the best rookies in the draft, looking like one of the best players on the team, and can’t get more than 20 minutes a game. Meanwhile this guy that is legitimately awful is getting all you can eat minutes and the starting spot handed on a silver platter for him to go out and embarrass himself.

What kind of message does this send to the players actually busting their ass and playing well? What kind of message does this send to the entire team?

This is my main gripe with Silas right now. I’m not going to blame him for the team looking bad when terrible players are out there not executing. I’m not going to blame him for missed wide open shots. I’m not even going to blame him for not playing Sengun more minutes. Take it slow, let him adjust to the nba, cool! But what’s with the double standard?

Bo6, j@amc and Bobbythegreat like this.
  10. NewAge

NewAge Member

I don’t think this is the ‘smoking gun” that it looks like.
    "Porter NO Green" are mostly EGO minutes and he’s been the good ol’pro that he is.
    “Green NO Porter” are DJ augustine minutes and he seems to be cooked, well-done

Our starting backcourt is terrible, as I expected. This has been a conscious decision by the org., by shutting down Wall and having EGO coming off-the-bench. I never understood the hype and excitement about this backcourt, sure it’s young and full of promise but watching bad basketball and getting beat night after night is not something a normal fan would get excited about.

The Green phenomenon is super-annoying. His fan-club is attacking all the disappointed and skeptical fans as heretics, and our Rockets fandom is being questioned, for not supporting enough our rookie. At the same time I keep reading from the same characters nothing but hate for Gordon, Wall, even Wood, as if these are not Rockets players. I mean Eric has been a Rocket the longest, he was a Houston Rocket when Jalen Green was dreaming about Detroit for chrissake… What kind of fandom is that to promote players who contribute to your team being mashed (Green), and hate on players who have positive impact on the court (Gordon)?

This has been a weird experience, we drafted a very successful Instagram influencer and a semi-celebrity that has gotten the most annoying fan-club since Jeremy Lin’s heyday…

Corrosion likes this.
  11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Mostly useless I guess, but not completely. I think they merely show how the team has performed with certain player combinations, so far. A first glimpse at combos that have and haven’t worked so far.

I don’t think they are predictive of what to expect going forward. The sample is still tiny and we’re dealing with a mostly super young team that you expect gradual improvement from.

I don’t think the stat of Porter ON and Green OFF being a +22.8 in the ~30 total minutes it has happened means anything other than we have seemed to do really good as a team, so far, with Porter on and Green off. And that could be for a bunch of different reasons that aren’t solely just on Green. But It’s just what has happened statistically.

JayZ750 likes this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

wesbrookesque!

13. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

All this stems for KPJ being so bad at point. Green never gets the ball in good spot. Only gets the ball when KPJ has no where to go which is often because he can't go right apparently. The message it sends is you should have been a lottery pick. lol Sengun is not a rookie though. He's been playing professional longer than Green has been in the G league. The problem with Silas is being scared to tell KPJ something. Being scared to play JC and Garuba. JC needs more minutes at point to back up Green. KPJ needs to come off the ball. This man KPJ will pretend to call a play then do an Iso audible and lose the ball. Thats a bad message to be sending to the team. Who's going to tell him though? lol

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Didn't you know? Silas is an offensive genius, he doesn't speak to players. He just looks at them with a wry smile from the sidelines and they know instinctively. He was responsible for Lebron James, Luca Doncic and Steph Curry don't you know.

Ramo$e and hakeem94 like this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Who are these guys busting their ass and playing well. I can only think of Sengun, whom gets his minutes taken mainly from Theis.

Let's just say you bench Green completely, you would just be rotating Gordon and Augustine in his place. Not sure what that does either. I also think JC is bad, he plays more selfishly than anyone else on the roster.

16. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you are going to bench Sengun for Theis to let him get acclimated with the nba, why wouldn’t you bench Green for Gordon? Gordon is much better than Theis, and Sengun is much better than Green.

hakeem94 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  17. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think Porter and Gordon are simply more effective than Green, that's why they have such a good plus minus, mainly because Gordon is a much stronger defender, and a stronger finisher at the rim. It takes some ball handling abilities away from KPJ as well. When KPJ gets frustrated he can always dump it to Gordon, who a lot of times these days will make things happen because he's very physical on his drives. When KPJ and Green play together, Green just defers back to KPJ most of the time.

Green really doesn't do much right now that's a net positive.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

He doesnt “defer” back to kpj which implies its a conscious decision, he dribbles a couple of times getting no where, then is forced to give it back to Kpj as opposed to jacking an ill advised step back 3. Good that he doesn’t force those shots too often, bad that he is incapable of breaking down his man most of the time.

19. DreamR

DreamR Member

Just try something different, no matter what it is

Doing what you're doing now will continue to lead to the same result

Dobbizzle and JayZ750 like this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

KPJ and Green don't fit.

KPj is better than Green by a long shot right now - at least a year ahead.

Play them both, but limit their time together.

DD