1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Purchasing a new AT&T Phone

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zackery, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Zackery

Zackery Member

My contract is set to expire in a few days and my current phone is breaking down slowly. I am looking to purchase a new AT&T (smart) phone with a new 2 year contract. I am willing to spend no more than 120 dollars. So, for that price which is the best AT&T phone on the market? Which operating system is better, iPhone's? Android? or Windows mobile?

Should I go for the HTC Inspire or wait untill iPhone5?

2. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

i'm almost in the same boat, I'll be getting a new phone in the very near future, so opinions are needed.

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Neither, Samsung focus. You can enable AT&T's fake 4g and WP7 is nothing short of amazing. After Mango you won't know why you even considered apple's products...

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

wait for the samsung galaxy s2

5. Zackery

Zackery Member

Ok, I researched a bit on Samsung Galaxy S II. Seems like it is the newest and greatest thing out there now. But the size might be too big, and it isn't out in the States just get. I also looked at Samsub Focus, so ok it's a Windows Phone. But what is Mango?

6. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I'd wait and get a quad-core Android later in the fall.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Spend the $199 and get the iPhone. Duh

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I couldn't be happier with my HTC Inspire, purchased about a month ago.

And it's a hell of a lot cheaper than the iPhone (Costco has it for 49.99 online). You could wait for the new quad-core phones, but you're going to pay for that and in all honesty, I don't know that it's going to make that big of a difference right away. I would say that an iPhone might be worth it for the storage if you don't have an iPod (and want one), otherwise you are overpaying.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I'd go with the Samsung Galaxy S 2. You can get one unlocked from Amazon.com

ORRR, if you don't need major specs. I'd buy an unlocked Nexus S from Canada, it works on ATT frequency

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Lots of fanboys here in both droid and iphone camps. Also a few windows guys. Hard to get an unbiased opinion.

I say: use the best tool for the job.

Look at the form factor of them all, battery life, screen size, touch sensitivity (this is important), ease of use, and most importantly, look at the applications you can get. If there's some app on the droid that knocks your socks off and fits what you need, go for it. Same with iphone or windows.

Be an educated consumer- the info is easy to find.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

That's a pretty good point. Half this stuff you can find out with a cursory google search. The problem the OP will encounter is the pricepoint he set ($120 isn't a lot in the world of smart phones) and his timing. A lot of refreshes are in the works for WP7 and Droid, and the iPhone (well if you ask me the iPhone 5 is quite underwealming and the pricepoint will be higher than $120 limit he's set). Come 4th quarter this year, a phone you bought in July will be last year's tech. If you can, wait till November/December. A lot of good phones will be out by then.

12. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Surprised no one has asked, so I'll be the first:

Why AT&T? If your contract's running out, why not explore other options?

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Honestly I don't get the AT&T hate around the interwebs. I love AT&T, and the price I pay is lower than the rest. Maybe I've just been lucky enough to have service in Tucson and Eugene...

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

S2 will cost $299, maybe $350. Unless maybe iPhone keeps their price low.

15. Scionxa

Verizon is the best in my opinion, but now that unlimited data is gone... I'd only go with Sprint.
    However, Wi-max sucks in comparison to LTE

16. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

I can't speak from first person, since I've had Sprint or T-Mobile for about 10 years. But from friends that have AT&T all I've heard is dropouts, no signal and irritatingly slow internet speeds.

If I had some money to spend, I'd go Verizon or Sprint...they've always come across in my contacts as the more preferred for "business" while AT&T & T-Mobile are more general consumer focused.

PS:
    Whatever phone you pick will be outdated in 4 months. Promise. Sad reality.

17. Scionxa

From a technical standpoint, AT&T has a bad network in terms of having seperate operational frequencies in different markets. Those 1900 mhz markets have spottier coverage than others. Also, 3g data is very limited with AT&T in terms of coverage.

18. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

you may very well wait til october 2012 for iphone5 to drop to 120

19. Scionxa

iphone 4S for Sprint might drop later. Apple recently had Sprint CDMA towers installed in Cupertino. I'm not 100 percent sure it's true but just thought I'd throw that out there

20. Mizhemp

Mizhemp Member

This x 1000. Spend $120 for a smartphone whose OS promises it will catch up (that's a big if), $200 for a platform where manufacturers are notorious for rapidly marking phones as obsolete (and thusly denying you updates), or get an iPhone and enjoy 2 years of software updates, and the largest selection of quality apps.