1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Purchasing a handgun

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RedRedemption, Mar 2, 2021.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

First time gunowner, what do you guys recommend? This would primarily for self-defense -- but I also want to go to the range a few times so handgun preferred. Also do I need a license?

2. Buck Turgidson

Please don't.

Buy a shotgun.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If you get a shotgun, you only have to go to the range once.

Yung-T, DonkeyMagic and RedRedemption like this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Have you been around guns before and shot in the past? I just recommend having even a little experience first. With that said, regardless of experience it might be worth going to the range and renting some guns to try out, it's more about what you feel comfortable with so trying them out is the best thing. I'm also not here to tell you why/why not - so don't take my post like that.

No license is needed unless you intend to carry concealed/open carry etc in TX.

I also think the shotgun is ideal for defense and is fun at the range. Probably less likely to make beginner mistakes (I'm also not saying you're a beginner). I think owning gun(s) is/are worth it as long as you're responsible. I just don't like going to the range and seeing someone waving a gun around with their finger on the trigger.... not respecting the reality that everything can change in an instant.

#4 CCity Zero, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    mikol13, TWS1986, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No license in Texas. You can actually drive around with a loaded handgun in your center console with no license in TX.

Impossible to find ammo at the moment.

Best bet is go to the range and test fire different calibers and sizes to see what fits, though not sure how that'll work with ammo shortage.

RedRedemption likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

** ClutchFans Goes to the Gun Range **
    AUDIO NSFW :

#6 Dr of Dunk, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    JeeberD, Yung-T, TWS1986 and 4 others like this.
  7. lpbman

lpbman Member

No license in Texas to own, yes for concealed carry or to have one in a shoulder harness or belt holster in a vehicle or open carry. Open carry on your own property without license.

There is no perfect gun, so you'll get 100 different answers but I'll throw my .02 in. The Glock G22 in .40S&W is a solid choice. I like my PMR 30, which would probably get booed in some circles for being made by Kel-Tec but I really like the 22 mag round, I like the weight, and I like the capacity... and the fact that I like it means I shoot it a lot. Which means I operate by muscle memory. This is the biggest factor in an effective firearm. Do you know how to use it well? Are you comfortable firing the thing. My dad has a sweet lightweight Kimber 45acp that'll take down a horse and fits my hand like a glove. I can't shoot it for crap, because it kicks so hard I'm flinching and if I fired it indoors without ear protection I'd be deaf. Not for me.

So all that to say you need to find something for *you*, and starting out with a 22 lr and actually putting rounds down range is a great start for most people.

ramotadab, Xerobull and RedRedemption like this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Skip on the gun, move somewhere safer, buy a dog, and home security with lights/cameras/alarm.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I would go with a Desert Eagle -- you're going to want maximum stopping power.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is good advice

ROXRAN and RedRedemption like this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

FIFY?

RedRedemption, Yung-T and CCity Zero like this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

RedRedemption and CCity Zero like this.
  13. KingCheetah

So many options and really they all will work fine -- if you start popping shots at a burglar with a little 22 he's almost certainly running away. Having a weapon that is going to work 100% of the time every time makes a revolver a good safe choice -- I have a 357 and it checks all the boxes for protection. Semi automatics are fine obviously and jams are rare but they do occasionally happen. Buying a nice gun is the best solution (you get what you pay for) -- stay away from the lower tiers because jams are part of the deal.

The caliber/ ammo/ etc are something I don't worry about much, but for others this is a huge part of the deal. I'd prefer to have something with more pop than a 22 but if that was all I had access to that gun is better than a bat. Getting something you're comfortable handling and shooting is probably the most important thing because whatever it fires will hurt the bad guy.

RedRedemption and CCity Zero like this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You'd probably be better off with a shotgun, but if you have your heart set on a handgun, go with a 1911. It'll do everything you want it to.

ramotadab, ROXRAN and RedRedemption like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

Dont be an *******.

16. KingCheetah

Okay.

17. Buck Turgidson

Alright then.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Best advice for a gun newbie.

If you want to carry, totally different story.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Go to a gun range and try out guns there before you commit to buying one (they rents plenty of guns out). If you've never fired a weapon before you need to familiarize yourself with it and prepare your body with the rush of adrenaline your body gets after firing off rounds.

It's a huge responsibility and people shoot themselves more than they do bad guys

ramotadab and RedRedemption like this.
  20. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I don’t understand gun culture, at all...