1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LegendZ3, Feb 2, 2007.

1. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...ey_phil_predicts_early_spring/?p1=MEWell_Pos3

Punxsutawney Phil predicts early spring

February 2, 2007

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. --A new pair of hands pulled Punxsutawney Phil from his stump this year, so it was only fitting that the groundhog offered a new prediction.

Phil did not see his shadow on Friday, which, according to German folklore, means folks can expect an early spring instead of six more weeks of winter.

Since 1886, Phil has seen his shadow 96 times, hasn't seen it 15 times and there are no records for nine years, according to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club. The last time Phil failed to see his shadow was in 1999.

More than 15,000 revelers milled about in a misty snow waiting for the prediction, as fireworks exploded overhead and the "Pennsylvania Polka" and other music blared in the background.

Sammi Gainor, 17, said she and her father first attended the ceremony about four years ago. "Since then it's really been just good memories of things I do together with my dad," she said.

"It's just kind of fun seeing people go so crazy about a groundhog," Richard Gainor said.

Longtime handler Bill Deeley retired and was replaced Friday by Punxsutawney Groundhog Club Inner Circle members John Griffiths and Ben Hughes.

"It's a lot of work, but it's exciting to know you're a part of one of the most phenomenal parts of American folklore," Hughes said.

Each Feb. 2, thousands of people descend on Punxsutawney, a town of 6,100 people about 65 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, to celebrate what had essentially been a German superstition.

The Germans believed that if a hibernating animal cast a shadow Feb. 2 -- the Christian holiday of Candlemas -- winter would last another six weeks. If no shadow was seen, legend said spring would come early.

Rick McFerron, an administrator at Indiana University of Pennsylvania some 30 miles away, walked the whole way to the ceremony to celebrate his 60th birthday and to raise money for breast cancer research.

He said he was skeptical of the groundhog's prediction.

"It's supposed to get bitter cold this weekend," McFerron said.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Early Spring? Yet another case of global warming at work.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Good, I hate winter and cold temperatures with a passion.

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Too bad he's an animal with no idea of the current computer models and their accord.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

given a choice between weathermen and a groundhog, i'd just as soon take the groundhog's predictions.

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Lately anyway... lol

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

...and he still does better than all the weathermen out there ... including jeff :D

(n/m ... i was beat to the joke)

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

More proof of global warming!!!

EDIT: I hate you, m_cable. Next time I should read the whole thread.

9. SLrocket

SLrocket Contributing Member

what happens when he dies.....oh well. by then houston is gonna eb the next atlantis. lol