1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Punks] House, Car Shot Up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He should absolutely not do that. He could accidently hit someone else, or have the bad luck to get arrested for it, while the chump stays free. My previous post was an honest one, as I would go ballistic if someone shot at my family and worry about consequences later, but since JV is staying relatively calm, he should find a legal way to get rid of this idiot. I'd start with his landlord.

2. tigereye

tigereye Member

I understand that Deckard but he could have also hit his wife or baby. And that would be no accident.

Based on the Landlord's response, I don't expect that to work. I think it may actually increase the BB firings. I pray I'm wrong as I don't condone violence. But one has to protect their family if they cant rely on the cops to enforce safety.

JV ...if you don't retaliate, atleast get the NEWS involved ASAP. I'm sure they would love a story about your wife and kids being shot at and the Cops not doing their job to "serve & protect" you. In fact, if you get on camera, I'd sell the acting as "your so desperate, your thinking about retaliation since no one will do anything to help you." A media story like this and the negative attention it generates may force the cops to respond and get the results you seek.

Good luck.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Honestly, I think that'd be a hard sell given the lethality of a BB gun. Since the courts will know that I know it's a BB gun, I think it would be seen as a disproportionate reaction.

This is all academic anyway. If it isn't already clear: I don't own a gun. I will not buy a gun. I will not fire a gun. Any suggestion that involves me picking up a gun isn't helpful to me.

Quick note on the safety of my babies: The BBs have not been able to penetrate both panes of my double-pane windows; no BBs have entered the house. And, given the location of the babies' window and their cribs and the angle he's shooting from, he wouldn't be able to hit the babies even if he could pentrate the glass completely. So, he won't hit a baby by accident. He'd have to shoot them during the day while we're outside carrying them to the car or something. To do that he'd have to be a monster and incredibly stupid.

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

We're talking about a neighbor in the apartments across the way from you who is shooting at your windows and your wife with a BB or pellet gun (we assume) because you are in an inter-racial marriage.

I'd say the guy is incredibly stupid.

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Here is the real answer you are looking for. There is nothing you can do.

The only thing it seems you can do is buy a scope camera and perform a stake out so you can snap pictures of the perp in the act and turn the pics over to the cops while pointing out the apartment.

Even then, I'm sure the cops will have some excuse as to why that isn't enough and/or it isn't worth their time.

So, you are left with moving but I guess that's out. So, just get used to being the victim and replacing windows I guess. According to your own words, vigilante justice is out. Confrontation by you could just escalate the situation.

So, what are you going to do? Just hope it doesn't happen anymore?

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

no, he's waiting on the landlord to do something...might not solve things, but technically it is an option that could work.

JV, if the landlord can't help i think you need to sweat it out until the guy tries it again, catch him on video, and then go pay HPD a visit, don't call. Play them the video in person, tell them you have a wife and baby that have almost been hit, and you're afraid eventually he'll try using the real thing. If they don't do something, then you'll have to purchase a firearm to protect yourself, but will first contact the media to askf or their help.

I know you said you won't do it, but acting like you might may be enough to get PD to send a car out there.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

That might work depending on the landlord but it's still just his word against one or more persons living in the supposed culprit apartment without any real proof.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Worked out ok for Joe Horn

Rocket River

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Actually, I think I've already solved the problem. I'm betting my now-insured windows that he won't shoot again. And, plausible-worst-case scenario, he shoots one more time and gives me the leverage to move him out. Of course, the unlikely but absolute worst-case scenario is he freaks out and murders my whole family. Or, worse yet, he invents a doomsday device and destroys all life as we know it. But, really I just think he'll stop. I'll post again if I'm wrong.

I meant to respond to this sooner. I know the guy's address; how do I get his name/personal information? Seriously. He's a renter and hasn't been around too long, I don't think. So, what do I do?

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Well, there's a myriad of tools, at least one of which should provide the stalkerish information you're looking for. I used whitepages.com a lot because it was the easiest and free first. There might also be other free resources depending on the locality that might provide renter or landlord information when you type in the address. New York City had that for example (that's where I worked). Then you can try those subscription or pay per search databases like LexisNexis that you have to pay for and that you can google for a list of those sites. Finally, I enjoyed doing the legwork sometimes where you prepare a fake story in case somebody asks why you're asking around and just knock on the doors and be brazenly direct about it and ask people there about the guy. Or take a look at his mail somehow. Just think about the things that have people's personal information on them and try to find that information. Sometimes even just search engines for that address works, although since this guy seems to be a recent tenant it's probably not going to help much.

Or you can just ask the landlord for the information. :)

I know you're not going to take this advice, but my experience has taught me that a personal touch is best and the best way is to just confront the guy, face to face. Honest expression goes a long way in solving any conflict, as quickly and with as low a cost as possible. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, in this case.

1 person likes this.
  11. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Personally, I'd go ape****. I'd call the news and the cops non-stop and I'd still barely be able to contain myself from retaliating (though I am not violent and would never use a weapon). But I admire the hell out of JuanValdez's response. I aspire to that kind of reason in the face of adversity or even danger.

Props, man.

I can't remember if you're a Christian. I think you are one. If so, you are good at it.

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

HPD is pretty useless. Lets face it, they got bigger issues than a guy shooting a BB gun.

I bet if you lived in the suburbs, the guy would have been arrested.

I called SLPD cause folks in my neighborhood were lighting fireworks (yeah eff you too, it's illegal) and they scared the shiet out of them. YES SIR :grin:

13. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Do you have any shady friends that own guns, or at least baseball bats and duct tape?

14. right1

right1 Member