1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Punishment for Arenas

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Jan 6, 2010.

?

Punishment should be:

1. <20 games

22 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. between 20 games and full season suspension

35 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. rest of the season

66 vote(s)
    44.0%
  4. banned for life

27 vote(s)
    18.0%
  1. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Eh, I think his judgment was way off in what he did, but if the guns were not loaded, and he never intended any malice in what he did, I think the rest of the season would be more than enough of a punishment. Banning him for life wouldn't accomplish anything in my opinion. He's obviously going to learn his lesson here, and I think if guys like Vick (killing dogs) and Artest (assaulting fans) are allowed back in the NBA, Arenas should be too.

2. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Member

Suspended for the season, and I think the Wizards have a valid case to terminate his contract. A season-long suspension and forfeiting a buttload of money seems an adequate punishment. He should be free to sign with any team after his contract is voided and he's served his time out. However, he will rightfully be on a kind of probation from now on with the league. Any other stupid gun incidents from here out will result in serious suspensions or a permanent ban.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It depends on whether he actually pulled the gun on his teammate like the original NY paper report said. If he did, he should be banned for life.

If he just stored an unloaded gun in his locker, he should not be punished beyond this season.

4. Francis 4 ever

Slap on the wrist. Is this a hipster feminazi neoliberal goatee pony tail board? It is just a gun...

He didn't kill anybody nor had he even the ability too. We don't even know if he pulled it on a teammate (or has that come out yet?). It was a bad joke from a guy who has a history of bad jokes and not knowing the line (i believe he was the one who put baby powder on donuts then gave them to the team). A life time ban?? are you people serious.

I vote for 20 games.

5. Yak

Yak Member

Bad for us.

The Wiz either had to trade Jamison and/or Caron OR somehow, someway trade Arenas and get rid of his contract.

Unfortunately, they will probably get out of his contract, so they're good salary wise, thus, they have no need to dump Butler and Antawn.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Death BY SNU SNU!!!

seriously, what a dumbass he is bringing a fricken gun into a locker room let alone taking around and "playing" a joke with it with his own teamate

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Now that I think about it this is pretty petty to suspend him for what he did in Philly last night. I admit it was stupid but if I saw it live I would not have thought while he should be suspended for that. Come on Stern taunting you? Get real.

If you are going to suspend him for that then you should have suspended Pierce a few years ago when he was throwing up gang signs at Horford.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Edit : Wow

9. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Member

My goodness he uses twitter a lot. With horrible grammar. Lol. And I thought I was a computer nerd. Wow.

As for the poll, I didn't vote. I think his suspension may leak into next season, especially if he gets jail time. But it should not be a for life ban. I do think his contract should be voided. Then again I thought Sprewell's contract should've been voided too.

10. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

He should get shot in his good knee, if he has one.

11. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

I 100% agree with you here, as I usually do with your posts

12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Member

Where is Jarvis Critten however its spelled on all of this? Has he said anything?

13. jello77

jello77 Member

Rest of the season is overdramatic. He didn't hurt anybody, he was just stupid. 10 games for possessing a firearm. Maybe 5 more for being an idiot.

14. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

On the picture, you can clearly see his joking, they're having fun, and even for the whole guns situation,
    I don't think it's important enough to suspend him for the rest of the season. I mean, the things he did
    are not unforgivable.

Anyway, I don't think he'll be punished as much as being suspended for the rest of the season. 25 games
    at most I think. At least I hope so.

15. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

The termination of his contract is what I don't agree with. The team shouldn't have to pay him if he can't play, but they shouldn't have the luxury of just shedding that contract and having money to spend. That may not be the way it works, but if it does, it's just wrong.

16. BetterThanEver

Does still count against the salary cap for the Wiz? It would help us with a Caron Butler trade, if he does.

17. scottie brooks

We would hope a grown man would have more sense than a 15 yr old. However it appears he doesn't and he should be punished as one as well.

In school, bring a gun to your locker and u get expelled then you get to attend alternative school. No more fun with your classmates.

Arenas should be banned from nba play for life. If he wants to play ball still I say send him to the d league and nothing else

What an idiot

18. BetterThanEver

I found the answer on the salary cap faq.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

His suspended salary for the rest of the season counts 50% against the salary cap. The money that he has already received counts 100%.

The Wizards have played 32 games. That's 100% hit for 32 games and 50% hit forthe other 50 games this season.

Arena's makes $17.7 million next year. He will only count for $8.85 million against the salary cap for 2010-11 season.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Doesn't matter. I bring an unloaded gun to my campus, it doesn't matter whether I had the capability to kill anyone or not, I'm still getting expelled immediately. Gilbert should be grateful he isn't getting kicked out.
    I'd say void his contract and have him suspended for the year sounds fair. It would be ironic in that we have yet another star joining in the 2010 bonanza.