1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Psychology Today]LeBron James: The Making of a Narcissist

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by the_hustler, Jul 13, 2010.

1. DaG.O.A.T

DaG.O.A.T Member

i didnt ask u 2 read parmesh

2. DaG.O.A.T

DaG.O.A.T Member

pls correct me where im wrong im very interested in learnin

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Da Greatest Poster Of All Time! YESH!

4. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Since we are on the topic of psychology, I think your post brings up some interesting points. I've noticed a lot of fans project their feelings onto Lebron in regards to how he would make his decision. I think you are probably right that he doesn't have a deep-seated, emotional investment in the state of Ohio. Akron is his hometown, so he'll always have some love for it, but the only reason he ended up in Cleveland is because the ping pong balls fell the Cav's way. He was never a fan of Ohio sports, and I doubt he'd be itching to to place Cleveland as one of his top destinations to play if he were drafted by another team.

And to address the last part of your post: In many ways, Lebron still has the maturity of a 20-year old kid. He's 25-years old and has lived in a bubble and been coddled since high school. Knowing that, and that he has lived in Ohio all his life, can you blame him for wanting to move to a big city and have fun with his friends while he is young?

1 person likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What? Kobe isn't hated anymore? I am pretty sure he has only got knocked down to #2 on the most hated list by LeBron.

6. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

to choke, you would have to "disappear" in big games, ala a ray allen or a joe johnson whose stats confirm it.

if you put up 30+, 7+, 7+ on like 47-48% consistently in big games, i wouldn't call that "choking."

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

So I guess Shaq was a quitter too, because he left Orlando to go to LA. How about when Wilt Chamberlain went to LA from Milwaukee? Did he choke then, too?

Stars move to bigger cities all the time. Apparently deciding that you can't win by yourself means quitting now. Let's not forget that guys like MJ had Pippen, Rodman and PJ, Bird had MChale and Parish, and Magic had Kareem, ok? Dream wasted his entire career playing for a scrubby Houston team with a coach who's only game plan was "Give to Dream and get outa' the ****ing way". Look where he is now, just 2 rings and continually bypassed by the media despite his otherworldly skills. Shaq hesitates to put himself over Dream, but ask non-rox fans and they probably won't put him in the top 10.

You may argue the method in which he did it, but LBJ did the right thing. He was never gonna win it in Cleveland with Antwan Jamison, sideshow bob and Mo Williams. If he had stayed and didn't win a ring for the next 10 years, you'd be talking about how the king would get it done :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good post. I love the hypocrisy of posters here. Apparently basketball players aren't human and can't have fun while playing ball. You should always take the high road, and strive to beat everyone, friends included. You shouldn't mess around court either, and just spend your time glowering at people. Finally putting up 30,7,7 isn't enough, people will still call you a choker because you don't win (except MJ only won a ring when he was already in his late 20's :rolleyes: ). When you do decide to make a power team so you have a better chance of winning people now say you quit. Its a lose-lose situation, good thing he doesn't care what random posters in a messageboard think of him.

9. Shaud

Shaud Member

Still not convinced that LeBron quit in the playoffs.

Guess we should ask Paul Pierce who struggled that whole series because LeBron was guarding him.

1 person likes this.
  10. Shaud

Shaud Member

He's a choker because he didn't average 40,10,10.

It's a good thing Kobe Bryant had teammates that helped him out of his struggles in the finals.

11. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

to me, lebron is what t-mac would have turned into without the injuries.

12. amaru

amaru Member

Say what you want about McGrady, but "The Decision" sealed it. McGrady is no longer the biggest diva in the NBA. Its LeDiva....and its not even close.

Its not even the fact that he left...its the way he left. It just screamed attention w**** and low class.

:rolleyes:

I miss the day when basketball players were just that...basketball players. Not reality stars, like now. And yes....Bosh and Wade are in the same ball park with their "documentaries"

*Puts on flame suit for the LeDiva groupies who have mistaken a Houston Rockets forum for a Miami Heat forum*

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that would be a sign if someone "quits" in the playoffs. you judge someone's intensity by their defensive intensity and james brought it 200% on the defensive end.

the elbow obviously hindered his offensive game, but he put his best defensively.

i mean, the expectations for lebron is ridiculous. 29, 7, 7 v. celtics and he choked?

what has the world come to? obviously people must think really highly of lebron.

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

ENGILSH, BEATCH.

15. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Lies. LeBron is far from a narcissist. He is just fulfilling prophecy

[​IMG]

16. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

Really... when was that? 1970?

17. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Tmac doesn't have the karma of Lebron, but they are similar. It's more like lebron will turn into Tmac if he's not careful. At least Lebron has made it pass the first round though.

18. Raven

Raven Member

LeChoke = Pippen 2.0

19. Steve_Francis_rules

Wilt Chamberlain joined a Lakers team that already had multiple HOF players on it. They went on to win a ring.

Earl Monroe left the Bullets to join a Knicks team that had won the championship just a year earlier. They went on to win another.

Moses Malone left the Houston Rockets and joined a really good 76ers team. They went on to win a championship.

Someone else already mentioned Clyde Drexler.

20. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

here is part 2 of the series dealing with James' Self-Obsessive Narcissism. very long read. but good stuff as usual

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...7/lebron-james-the-making-narcissist-part-2-2