1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Psychology] Man fools an entire mall, pretends he's famous

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by dmc89, Apr 13, 2012.

1. dmc89

dmc89 Member

A (depressing) social experiment is conducted in a mall where hordes of young women, mall security, parents, and store clerks all believe a random man is a celebrity.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C9Ko6Xfa84w?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What's fascinating is the self-fulfilling prophecy of him pretending to be famous... making him famous. :eek:

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I must have not been at the mall that day. I was probably at home watching Ow! My Balls!

That sucks!

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

ha I should have friends follow me like the paparazzi over on Washington Ave that would definitely work and be a lot more fun.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Saw this last night. Painful to watch. People are sheep sometimes.

5. Burko

Burko Member

To me it seems that he has all his mates following him and then just a few people looking over to see what the commotion is.....

Not exactly fooling people is he?

(didn't have any sound on video, may be ill-informed, lol)

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Mall games are fun.

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Two Tweets, that's it, and fooling a couple of obviously bored security people. Beyond that, we have no idea how many of the "followers" were asked to be part of it. Not much of an experiment if the guy walks into the mall, at the outset of the clip, and he's already surrounded by 17-year old followers.

Seriously, look at the clip. The crowd around him is bigger at the beginning than it is in the end. There's a reason certain people have their faces blocked off. If that fawning little blonde girl wasn't part of it, wouldn't her face be obscured?

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I remember walking into Memorial City Mall a few months ago and seeing a line that went damn near outside the building. I could tell many of the people joining the end of the line had *no* idea what was going on. They just saw a line, figured it was probably worth it if there were people waiting on something, and joined in. HUMANS Y U NO THINK 4 SELF?

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

It sounds like you were one of the people that got "duped". The fact that he got some attention being a regular Joe Schmoe is funny.

They should go to another mall and try it this time with his black friend as the famous actor... Now that would be hilarious! I wonder if anyone would believe him.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

People are dumb as rocks when creating crowds in public, it's terrible. Seems everyone turns their brain off and goes into collective "..." mode.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Being "Famous" is laughable, that is why I don't believe in Autographs, no one is any more special than the next guy, except Caine and his arcade of course.

DD

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Chris Daughtry lives a couple of miles from here. He's been known to pop in the grocery store or the drug store and the girls start aflockin'....

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

When I was about 12 I saw a horde of men of all ages following someone at Memorial City Mal. They weren't all up in the "celebs" face, but definitely following and watching. I'd say it was at least a dozen people. This was before camera phones by the way.

I walked up to see what the deal was. There was a woman with at least D's walking around in a see-through white shirt with no bra. I immediately joined the group. Sheep.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Its funny for me to see girls go nuts. Like at concerts, when they cry over someone...I have a hard time comprehending that behavior.

I dated a girl once in Boston...Matt Damon walked by and she basically passed out. wtf...

15. Classic

Classic Member

Legit? Eh maybe. Amusing none the less.

16. yo

yo Contributing Member

Ah, how the common people train themselves to think. Enjoy life in anonymity. :)

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

good point. you should quit watching the rockets and start rooting for your local high school instead.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lol...At 2:40 I think some hottie gave him her phone number after he got in the car. She had her face blacked over, so I assume she was real and fooled.

[edit] nevermind, I paused to post this, then he calls her.

"are you familiar with [can't understand]" what did she say that made them laugh.

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I can't even properly describe how I feel about this. It's funny, baffling, sad, intriguing, and depressing all at the same time. I really hope he didn't take that girl out for drinks under the guise that he was famous. If he fessed up and she still wanted to go, then kudos to him.

If you see someone with a big crowd around them, it's natural to look and maybe ask who it is. What I don't understand is the motivation to take a picture with a "celebrity" that you obviously haven't even heard of. Well, I understand the motivation - I just don't understand how people can be that dumb.

Hell, even when I run into someone I'm a fan of, I don't ask for autographs or pictures.

20. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

A few of my friends and I did something like this at Sharpstown mall after Katrina. Sharpstown was taken over by people from New Orleans and a friend of mine looks nothing like Lil Wayne, but when he put a dread wig on and some shades, it was unreal resemblance. So we walked into Sharpstown, he walked in through another entrance, and he wore a hoodie over the dreads and shades. When he got to the main walkway, I yelled out "Weezy!" and he turned and took off running, hilarity ensued. People chased him up the stairs to the food court lol.