1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PSA: Stay away from John Moore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Stevierebel, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Don't go with John Moore. Stay away, don't waste your time.

We purchased both furnaces and units for upstairs and downstairs, the 2 stage 20 seer units for over $30K. They told us they would send their best installers to do the job! What a joke. After 26 hours for the initial installation (which they told us would take 10 hours), we were still having problems with the temperature in the house.

Their own quality inspector told us the unit was installed backwards, wouldn't pass an inspection if we were to sell our house and wouldn't pass the state code.

After we thought THAT was fixed, our bathroom ceiling was destroyed from water damage from the air conditioner! This time it turned out that their "best installers" left the manual INSIDE the unit and over time it started to disintegrate inside the system and clogged the drains.

It's taken six months of phone calls, technicians in our house until all hours at night, who were rude and disrespectful, to get this right. When we asked for some type of restitution for all the aggravation, they offered us $1,500. We paid over $30K and this is the kind of service they think that amount of money should buy?!!!

Stay away. Go with another company.

Their motto may be "get John, get Moore" but you'll only get Moore problems you wouldn't want to deal with.

1 person likes this.
  2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've never really liked his movies.

3. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

My father in law owns his own AC business and tells me stories that he hears like this all the time about John Moore. They try to pull you in by claiming they don't charge for coming out. What they don't tell you is that this charge is only re-imbursed if you go with their service, which is at least double the going rates of other AC contractors.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The reason John Moore sucks so bad is because they work on commission. Seriously. They pay their repairmen a lower salary and then a percentage of the work they do. That is why they take too long and always want to do more than necessary. Do not ever use them for anything!

Case in point....

I live in a 60 year old house. The sewer line is original equipment. I was having issues where I had to get the line snaked out 3 times in 9 months. John Moore did the 2nd (it was on a holiday and my regular plumber was closed), and I asked the repairman if I had any issues. He told me my entire sewer line needed to be replaced, and that it would cost around $8,000. My regular plumber did the 3rd one. I told him the John Moore story. He laughed and gave me the low-down on their commission setup. I asked him if my line needed to be replaced. He told me to just use single-ply toilet paper and flush a handful of epsom salts down each toilet once a month. "If you do that, you won't need to get snaked". I've done it ever since, and it hasn't needed to be snaked in two years.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Single-ply? I'd move before I'd deal with that.

6. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

That epson salt is a good idea.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I thought everyone knew it was "Call John, Pay More!"?

8. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

From a site:

I'm writing this report to warn others about John Moore Services,they are a high pressure sales company that mistreats their employees.I worked there for about a month and left due to horrible sales tactics taught by the company.Every friday we would meet and they would try everything to get us to sell more,if you didnt sell enough you wouldnt get any calls.The average employee turn around is 80% per year,and experience is 2years or less.If you are around stop by and look at the empty offices,and talk to the hvac manager who knows nothing about hvac.The Moores no longer own it,Don Valentine owns it who has never lifted a tool in his life.The company charges double what others charge and the quality of work is sorry.When you first get hired on you spend three days in sales classes and are taught to do what it takes to sell even if they have to borrow money on there house its pathetic.Real HVAC techs will not work there due to moral and ethical reasons,they dont care about experience just sales.Don Valentine is the chairman of the BBB and fixes the complaints as if they never happened.Please stay clear of this company.

9. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

They have an F rating on Angies List.

Edit: lol I notice the most recent F is yours

10. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

my sister/bro-in-law had the same issue, its pretty pathetic of the stories I hear...

sorry stevie that you had to go through the experience

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

No one's sued them yet?

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Two ply feels funny now. Using single-ply at home makes me feel like I live in a hotel. I'm cool with that, until I realize there is no room service....:grin:

13. Classic

Classic Member

[​IMG]

For real.

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Okay here is my John Less story. Early this summer, the AC went out. Of course it went out, it was summer time.

So we called John Moore, and they said new unit and stuff, 8,000.

I don't know how long AC units last, but it was just replaced early in the decade sometime between 2001 and 2005. Forgot what year. Everything new, including duct work.

The dude was all, the coding laws say I can't do this and that because it's at this level and blah blah blah, get yourself a new unit.

I told him to get the **** out of my house before I sick my dog on him.

1) I didn't say it like that.
    2) I don't have a dog like that

But anyway, yeah, we called some Vietnamese dude up. He has his own AC repair company.

He basically blasted the thing with water to clean stuff up, pumped some freon in it, and said everything looks okay. Just check on it periodically and if there needs to be a replacement it was like 2 or 3000 I believe is what he said.

That John Moore guy was annoying.

I actually had one good moment with John Moore though. I came home to fix something for my mom before John Moore got there. He didn't do any work, so she wasn't charged. He said, yeah everything looks good, and high tailed it. Good move there.

15. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. We are consulting with proper people.

16. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I got a a great AC guy and washer/dryer guy. Washer/dryer guy will visit in the evenings too! Ever interested, just send me a message.