1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS3 Just Died

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RunninRaven, Feb 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So apparently I have been struck with the PS3 Yellow Light of Death. At least that seems to be the case based on what I found online. I have read that it is not necessarily in my best interest to send the unit to Sony to be repaired as there are 3rd party repair shops that can fix the system without sacrificing your data on your hard drive. Anyone have any experience with this? Any shops in Houston that you have had fix your PS3 before? What type of cost for repair am I looking at? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I hate reading things like this.

RIP. Prayers.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

Just go buy a new one :grin:

4. ThaShark316_28

Is it the older one (fat one)?

It's a shop in Alvin that will fix it up for you...

1 person likes this.
  5. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Yeah, it's the older model. Not the slim. I think it is the 40 Gb. Might be the 80.

6. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Happened to me 4 months ago playing COD.

Repair is about 150 & you don't get your memory back, it'll work for about a year after that. Only thing that sucks is you're game gets stuck in there.

You're better off getting a new one.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

What can be done to prevent this? Should I take mine apart and dust it out to prevent prolonged overheat? Mine is old as hell and I hardly use it but don't want it dead. I mostly use my newer Sony Blu-Ray player but the PS3 has bluetooth control which is much more slick.

8. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Don't leave it on long, don't turn it off from the back. YLOD ir really a better way of saying, the hard drive melted.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Do you have the old 80gb version that played PS2 games as well?

Back when I used to be really into video games, me and my friends all bought the 80gb models that were capable of playing PS2 games (This was back in 07), and they all got YLOD eventually. Mine lasted up until 2010.

I just bought a new one and sold the broken one on Craigslist for about $120.

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

On that note, I just looked it up. I had the CECHE01 model, and apparently, it's very prone to getting the YLOD. Sorry to hear about that man. Hopefully it works out .

11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

The one we bought has no backwards compatibility. So I guess it was the 40 Gb version. I'll look into getting a new system.

12. ThaShark316_28

All-Star Video Games...

832 385 3630

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's an overheating issue and can be repaired at home if you handy with a screwdriver and are organized. Go to YouTube and find the instruction videos.

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I had the fat model also and mine didn't break fully... Everything works fine it just won't read the discs... Anyone know how or where I can fix this?

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

RIP. Be strong man. Time will heal.

In the meantime.. get a three sixty :)

16. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Already have a 360, but it's broken twice (RRoD) in the time it has taken PS3 to break once.

I did find that guide and video, but in looking at what you have to do, I don't think I'm willing to give that a shot. Plus the guide said you had to have a heat gun which I don't have. I don't want to buy some tools for a fix that I'll likely screw up anyway.

17. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

The cost of getting it fixed will be pretty high. You should seriously consider getting a new one. I know it sucks losing all your save files (I had my 2k12 freeze today and lost myplayer my association etc.) but think about getting a new one. I'm not sure about this but aren't the slim ones free from ylod possibility?

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Is this typically random or is there something that increases the chances?

I don't really use my PS3 very much outside of occassional gameplay, mostly use it to watch blurays and stream netflix. I've had my fat PS3 since launch.

19. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

My fat PS3 has been acting weird lately.. It seems like its lagging or working slower than before at times.. And also sometimes randomly freezes so I have to shut it down. It's really weird.. It still works though. What could be the problem?

Overheating? Any tips to prevent this?

Also, how can I keep dust out of the PS3 without actually opening it up?

20. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I just got blinking red light on my PS3 last night. Now it won't turn on. :(