1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS3 finally hacked(?)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dei, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Dei

Dei Member

PlayStation 3 'hacked' by hardware crackers
    By Jonathan Fildes Technology reporter, BBC News

A group of hardware hackers claim they are about to release the first product to allow gamers to play homemade and pirated games on the PlayStation 3. The PS3 is the only games console that has not been hacked, despite being on the market for more than three years.

Now a group called PSJailbreak says it will release a USB dongle containing software that allows users to save games to the console's hard drive.

Sony, the maker of the PS3, declined to comment. PSJailbreak has also not responded to interview requests by BBC News.

However, a distributor for the dongle said that he had tested it and would start selling the device "in the next two weeks".

"We are in contact with a person in Malaysia but don't know where the manufacturer is," he told the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11035928

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True or not, 3 years is impressive.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Damn, time sure does fly. I thought the PS3 has been out longer than three years.

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I am intrigued by this prospect.

4. tested911

tested911 Member

YES!!! I finally get to use my PS3 :grin:

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Interesting. We'll see if Sony can counter.

A USB dongle though- very nice.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Agreed...patiently waiting...

7. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Dongle is a funny ass word...
    If it's legit, I might have to finally use my PS3, lol

8. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

**** Xbox....

b****es

9. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

The dongle costs like 170$. Someone's gonna pirate the pirates

10. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

huh huh huh huh... you said dongle... huh huh huh

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

isnt that the opposite of time flying?

12. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

On one hand, this is awesome if it will allow you to run Linux (again :(), play PS2 games (via emulation for non-BC PS3s), and all the other great stuff people come up with with homebrew apps.

On the other hand, a lot of people will just use it for piracy, which sucks. Blu-ray won't make it as easy as DVD, but doubt it will be much of a hurdle for those that are determined.

Maybe Sony will finally give PS3 users cross-game chat (or whatever other highly desired features) just so everyone will update their firmware. Well...assuming this can be fixed with a firmware update. If it is like the PSP battery hack, then I guess they're kind of screwed, at least until they can get a new PS3 revision out there. At least the PS3 is profitable now I think.

13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

burning blu-rays isn't really a hurdle, it's just a bit more expensive than dvd-r's

if this happens, there will be a spike in ps3 sales, so catch 22 for sony

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

Since the Wii is pretty much a POS, I've been thinking about getting a 360. Should I wait and try the PS3 instead?

15. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

yea you might want to wait. PS3 has superior hardware than xbox, but xbox is so cheap nowadays, just get both. I have all 3 systems :grin:

16. RC Cola

Poorly worded on my part. Price was the hurdle I was talking about. The price for burning Blu-rays (especially for dual-layer games) might be enough to keep a lot of people from doing so (also potentially downloading 25GB-50GB games if they go that route). Although I'm guessing they might just be able to put them to a HDD instead, and play the game from that. Perhaps problem solved.

A spike in sales isn't good if people aren't buying games, so not really a catch 22 for Sony (see PSP). Although as I mentioned earlier, since I think the PS3 is profitable now, it might not hurt as bad as it would have earlier in the generation.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

hmm... I've never owned a PS before, but I did own an Xbox once, so that's why I'm leaning more towards a 360. Halo 1-2 was the shiznitest game evarr.

The only things I care about is which system has better games. Since I've been about 3 years out of the loop in games due to Wii's crappy games, I wouldn't know.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of purchasing all 3 like you did :(
    I'm planning on selling my Wii and then getting one of two systems.

18. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

you're right about the HDD, think that's another cheap method. And the big filesize would be problems for a lot of people, but it's not like games are released all the time, besides christmas. Also comcast is rolling out the 50mpbs to all the states by end of the year!

You're right about people not buying games, but for some reason, for the xbox 360, it's thriving and winning in sales and consoles. I'm not sure why really to be honest, besides having a larger base of consumers, so friends want to play with their friends, causing more units sold.

There's only a handful of exclusives for each console, which I think is overhyped, when in reality majority of games are on both systems. If you're into shooters, you should try out the call of duty series, which is on both consoles. Get the system that you have more friends to play online with, that's probably my best suggestion. Also note xbox live cost money to play online and ps is free. I can't remember if on xbox, they charged, just letting you know.

19. RC Cola

Probably just overstating how much of an effect this can have on console sales. It probably can increase sales a bit, but maybe not all that much. The 360 has pretty healthy software sales (and always has), so it doesn't seem like piracy has had that much of an effect, at least in the big picture (of course, it might have had a large effect on individual game sales). Then again, a lot of popular 360 games are primarily online games, which generally don't work with pirated copies (AFAIK? unless this has changed). Sony may not be as fortunate since a lot of their strong titles are primarily single-player games. Guess that's an added reason for those games to develop strong online components.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

last time I played a hacked console was the original xbox, it was pretty sick to be able to rip all your games to the hard drive and play them without a disc.

can you do that with the 360 too?