1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS2 problems

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DrewP, Aug 28, 2004.

1. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

I was playing MVP 2004 when the phone rang. I got up to get the phone and tripped over the controller cord. Subsequently, the power cord loosened a little out of the ps2 and the game turned off. When I plugged it fully back in an tryed to run the game the system screen came up and tried to run the game... but all I got was a blank screen. I tried ncaa 2005 and that came to the first load screen for the game and it just sits there. I tried Busta-a-Move and that worked flawlessly... as did March Madness 2004 and Manhunt. I replugged everything back in and tried again but those two games still dont work (and mvp just stays blank the whole way through.

This wouldnt be as frustrating if it actually made some sense. It cant be the power supply (I think) because the power on ps2 works fine. It cant be the hardware (I think) because some games work and the system screen ALWAYS comes up. It cant be the software (I think) because some games work and those two games couldnt have just stopped working for no reason (no physical damage was done to them)..... but SOMETHING has to be wrong. Can anyone tell me what my problem is?

Note (my connection is a component one)

2. AGBee

AGBee Member

Weird...no clues here.

But this is exactly why I use wireless controllers for all of my systems.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Trying buying legit games, and not one on the black markets.

no people, that was not racial.

4. DrewP

What the hell are you talking about?

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Edit, TRY buying legit games.

not the ones on the black market. or flea markets

I was saying your games are not authentic. You got them from Blackbuster. or some other wording like that.
    ya know, black market, black, african american.

you know, i am starting to look bad.

6. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

How long have you had it? I've found PS2s to have about 2 year life-spans before they're working so sporadically that you have to buy a new one.

If you've had it for 1.5 years or more, I'd say it's in the beginning stages of dying on you. First the DVD playback gets sporadic, then some games, then most games, and that's when it's time to pick up a new one.

If you've had it for less than a year though, I don't know.

7. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I can vouch for this. Mine starting having problems about a year and a half after i got it; first noticed it while playing MVP Baseball. I was to fix it temporarily, until July, which was right around the 2 year mark. At that point i had to toss it and shell out another 150 bucks for a new one.

8. synergy

synergy Member

I don't know why I clicked on the link. I dont have an ps2 or for that matter I really don't even like video games that much,except for a few on the xbox.

but i found this to be very funny, kam.

:)

9. DrewP

TRY KNOWING THE FACTS BEFORE MAKING ACCUSATIONS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now can anyone legitimately help me out with this problem. I would be very disappointed if the answer to this problem is just "its too old" I payed like 300 bucks for this thing about three years ago and I dont really want to buy a new one.

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Bro, my man, put some batteries in the sarcasm detector.

I guess the wording was bad.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Drewpy, you need to have your laser checked out, some of the lasers on the old ones suck ass

12. DrewP

I'm not the one who has problems recognizing sarcasm... you are the one who has trouble using it. On the internet its tough. And when I ask you what the hell you are talking about and you respond with a reiteration of what you just said, yet more in depth, its no longer sarcasm. I dont know if you are back tracking or if you really were trying to be sarcastic, but you failed.

Moe, im not sure that would be the problem if some of the games work... theres no "cant read disc error' like I commonly see people complain about. I think it has to be somehow connected to me pulling the power cord out accidently

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

OK, listen to me very carefully... find someone with a new PS2, replace their case with the one on yours, take it to some stupid ass place like K-Mart and say it doesn't work... they'll give you a new one.

nice sig btw.

14. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

uh yea. I think you need some new batteries...

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I know, I am performing with out a comedic license.

My coworker, who is African American used the Word Blackbuster, and I have been infatuted with the word ever since. She said she has Catwoman on DVD and she got it from Blackbuster.

and if you guys look at my first quote

i said, and i quote

"Trying buying legit games, and not one on the black markets.

no people, that was not racial."

we got to edit that trying part first of all.
    But the second line, "no people, that was not racial" It's kinda like that quote that Jim Rome uses.

The Black EYYYYYYYYE for the sport. Not black Guuuuuuuuuuuuuuy
    for the sport.

I was misinterpreted. I think people know me off the board to know that I am a quiet person.

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Well you're gonna have to settle for being disappointed, along with all your other fellow PS2 owners.

Three years? Dude, count yourself lucky if you've only needed one since they came out. I've been through two already, about 4 months into the third. You could send it in for repair, but then it would break in another couple months. If you wanna play PS2, you gotta buy a new one. Sorry, but there's really no way around it. Trust me, I've tried. Twice.

PS2 has to be the worst/cheapest put-together gaming machine ever. It truly is ridiculous how quickly the damn things die on you...

17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Well, I got mine shortly after they launched, my friend got one when it launched, and another of my friends got one around maybe halfway through its life cycle, and AFAIK, we haven't had any problems with ours.

I think I read something about the XBOX having to be recalled when it launched because it would overheat badly after a little while, so I wouldn't say the PS2 was so much more cheaply built compared to its competitors.

I know there are lots of people who complain of problems, but that's probably because so many people have them. 10% of PS2s may have problems while say 11% and 12% are percentages of messed up Gamecubes and Xboxes, but due to the large amount of PS2s sold, a lot more people are reporting problems with their PS2.

I can't really help you out DrewP. Only thing I could possibly think of that could possibly explain playing some games but not all could be that it can only play the DVD games but not CD game or vice versa, but those sound like mostly new games, so they should all be on DVDs, I'd assume. I don't really know much on how it reads discs, so I can't really come up with much. Sorry. At least they're a lot cheaper now, although I wouldn't want to spend an extra $150 just to get my PS2 "back."

18. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Actually, that's not quite true; you are definitely in the lucky group if you've had no problem with your first run PS2s. Many of them, in fact, are incapable of playing some games. Some have the dreaded 'blue disk' problem and a lot of those initial run systems have very subpar DVD capabilities.

The XBOX problems in the initial launch were relatively minor; the hard drive seemed to be a greater concern than overheating. Both the XBOX and the Gamecube seem to have a little more steady performance issues - particularly when comparing launch machines.

They are on something like the third iteration of the PS2 now. (Which, of course, is a very solid and great machine). But really, anything past the second is pretty reliable.

But concerns about early PS2s and Sony's rather shaky launch (in terms of hardware reliability) are warranted.

19. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

I bought both my PS2 and XBOX the days they came out. Both were messed up when I brought them home and I had to send them both out to get repaired. The PS2 process of doing this was horrible! I had to pay for shipping, packaging and handling to wait two weeks to get it back. With XBOX, they overnighted a pre-labeled box to put the system in where I would just call the shipping company (forgot which one but was night UPS or FedEx) to pick it up and ship it to the repair shop overnight. None of which I had to pay for. In 3 days I would either have my fixed XBOX or a brand new one, guaranteed. I got my PS2 back after two weeks to only have to resend it in 3 months later, and then have to buy a whole new one in a year because it couldn't play most of the new games coming out. and, now a year and a half later, it is acting a little funny again. I am going to SERIOUSLY think about purchasing a PS3 in the future because of all this crap. Besides, the XBOX is a far superior system in every fashion. The only reason my PS2 is still around is because of Madden (I just cant pull myself to learn to play it on a new controller after all these years).

My friend, I think it was a HUGE coincidence that these problems happened right after you kicked the cord out. Your system is 3 YEARS OLD and is finally giving out. I am just surprised it hasn't acted up way before now.

20. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I just find it strange that my friends and I, and even DrewP to an extent, are all extremely lucky to have had our PS2s last this long. I've played a variety of games, from PS1 to early PS2 to the latest PS2 games, yet I've had no problems. I used it as a DVD player in the beginning and it worked fine, although I admit I haven't used it lately, instead choosing to use my PC's DVD drive to watch movies or watching them in another room on a DVD player. Although it seems like I'm just real lucky and that I should cross my fingers and hope my PS2 will keep kickin so that I can play MGS 3, GTA:SA, GT4, etc. Oh yeah, I still got my original controllers and memory card if that means anything, although I haven't heard many problems about those.

I would hope that the XBOX and Gamecube were more stable launch consoles considering the circumstances. Both came out much later than the PS2 and had time to fix issues with DVD drives and whatnot (although Gamecube didn't actually play DVDs), while the PS2 pretty much came out as a DVD player when they were still real expensive, using new tech which hadn't really had time to perfect. The PS2 did seem to have more problems at launch than the other two, but considering how much more time the other 2 had to work on things that the PS2 had problems with, they better be more stable. I don't know for sure, but I would assume that that the PS2's that came out about a year later, when the GC and XBOX and were released, were more stable as well. I guess really none of this matters, but I'm just trying to give a reason why the launch PS2's were not as stable as the GC and XBOX.

I can't remember where, but I seem to remember reading that some of the XBOX's that launched had serious issues and they had to put in new DVD drives and something else IIRC to get it to work right. I think it had something to do with playing it more than 3 hours. I can't remember where I got this, so I guess you can just forget it.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that all the consoles probably got problems, but it just seems like the PS2 is miles ahead in that category due to the number of people who have them, which means more complaints. I can't really explain why you guys buy so many while I've had no problems along with others.

I won't even really get too much into this besides mentioning that the PS2 CPU and I think the GPU can perform more FLOPS than the XBOX, despite coming out so much sooner. Not mention how ported PS2 games, like MGS and GTA off the top of my head, don't seem to have much improvement, if any, on the "far superior system." Not saying the PS2 owns at everything, since the XBOX can gernerally put up much better graphics in most cases, but just putting down the far superior in every fashion part.

I can't promise a perfectly stable PS3, especially it will probably be incredibly advanced technologically with Blu-ray, Cell, XDR Ram, etc., but it will probably be a risk worth taking. Kind of think of the PS2, bringing DVD playability along with the powerful emotion engine, which weren't even really matched until a year later. It could have been better had Sony actually tried to helped the developers, a mistake they seem to have tried not to make again with the easier to develop PSP and the alliances Sony has made with OpenGL and COLLADA.

Ok, now I'm getting WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY off-topic. DrewP will see all these replies, at least one of them had a solution, only to find a disussion ranging from the stability of the launch consoles to the next-gen consoles. Sorry DrewP. I got a little carried away. :eek: