1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PS2 help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigben69, Oct 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Hey
    I have a PS2 that wont work and playstation wants $75 to fix it and on top of that it is about $30 to send it to them. I dont want to pay that much. Does anyone know a place that fixes game systems?? It wont read games or movies. The only game that will work is Socom 2. Thanks a lot.

2. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

you can clean it pretty easily, ive cleaned mine as well as 2 others.

here's a guide that i wish i would have had when i cleaned the first one -- http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Guides/ps2diy/

3. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I appreciate it. I will try it out tomorrow.

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I'm not sure how much places would charge for fixing a PS2, but that sounds pretty ridiculous to me. You'd basically be paying $105 to get it to work, when you could get a new one for $150 (or less if they go with a price cut to compete with the 360 this holiday season). You might even be able to get a used one for around that price as well, although I don't know how well they generally work.

My PS2, for the most part, has worked perfectly fine, so I'm not too familiar with how to fix them. Ironically, I finally did experience some DRE's about a month or so ago with some 1st-gen PS2 games; from what I could tell, it seemed like my PS2 was having trouble reading PS2 CD-based games, although everything else was fine. I read up on some ways to fix this yourself, and it turned out that all I had to do was turn my PS2 to the vertical position (mine usually sits horizontally); I thought that was a stupid idea, but sure enough, my PS2 had no problems reading those games in that position. I'm even able to put it back to the horizontal position after it recognizes the disc. I guess what I'm trying to say is that what may appear to be a major issue might be an issue that could be fixed rather easily. Granted, I'm not sure if it would be this easy for you, but as rodrick_98 said, it may not be that hard to fix it yourself, especially if you are able to find some good tutorials online.

Hehe...maybe Sony is charging that much to make up for any losses that come from the PS3/PSP. :)

5. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

If you're feeling brave...you'll need a screwdriver, a semi-dustless area in your house, and a can of compressed air.

Take it apart, (not an entirely easy task, but possible. Don't do it if you've never taken anything apart), blast the can into the opened CD drive, and then maybe wipe the lens with a cotton swab and some alcohol.

6. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

thats basically what i did, my only word of warning is watch the cooling fan where the wires are soldered, mine came apart the first time, and i had to resolder it.... it wasnt a difficult task, you hast have to work slowly.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

or you can buy a new ps2 on ebay for less than what you'd pay to fix it.

8. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Cleaned the lens and it works like new. Thanks again for the link. It wasnt as hard as i thought it would be either.