1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

PRYUEN,Please,someone said yao will recovery within a month if using chinese medcine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKU, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

Let me try:

I'm a Doctor. I don't know how to send this message to Yao Ming immediately. Can only count on Sohu Blog. Please tell Yao Ming that "stress fracture" damage essencialy is non-infectious bone inflammation due to improper body movement, futigue, etc. It's not Western Medicine' domian, surgery is not good for this kind of damage. In contrary, Chinese Medicine can cure it quickly (about one month) [Sorry I don't know how to translate 中医骨科活血化淤, 强肾养骨的中药外敷结合内服] China has good Doctors specialize on this kind of damage. Please tell Yao Ming don't rush to surgery. Hope Chinese Basketball Associate send 1 or 2 outstanding Doctors to Houston, or take Yao Ming back to China receive treatment.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Its an interesting thread and being something of a skeptic I agree with DKny_112 and Munir Ming's posts. Generally when someone tells you something that sounds almost too good to be true and having Yao back on the court fully healed in one month sounds too good to be true you should be skeptical. I mean how many of you have gotten emails or seen ads promising fast ways to riches or rapid weight loss. Do you accept those just because they claim to tap into ancient secrets?

That said though I'm not going to dismiss traditional Chinese medicine and believe there is a lot that works in it and a lot to be learned the problem is as Dkny mentions its hard to quantify it. With as much as is stake I would think that you would rather trust a technique that has a well documented track record versus something that is pretty much anecdotal.

Anyway all of this is ideal discussion. Yao is a huge star with a lot riding on him. He's going to get the best medicine that both the US and China can offer. What I certainly hope he doesn't do is get his medical advice from an Internet BBS even if it is our beloved Clutchfans.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It doesn't require surgery, there are 2 ways to treat it...Surgery - which makes it stronger or rest...which heals it back to normal.

Neither way is a bad option.

DD

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

to those who are offended by westerners saying TCM is inferior to western, please understand the whole intent of this thread is to say western is inferior.

Also western does not care of mechanics just proven results. results are not hard to prove. If group A heals better than group B than thats a scientific result. It doesn;t matter how it worked. thats western medicine.

5. bfunw

bfunw Contributing Member

All I know is that many China National Sports Teams members took this kind of treatment and successful, though time various (2 weeks to 3 months)

6. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Dont worry, if there is any chance that chinese medicine can do miracle on Yao, CBA will certainly give Yao their opinions.

The problem for chinese medicine practising was that it's an apprentice system before. So, the qualifications of the practitioners varied dramatically.

Nowadays in China, there are hospitals for Chinese Medicine, where practitioners are licensed. Some big universities in China also have School of Chinese Medicine where they take a scentific and systematical approach to study/research chinese medicine. Some of the practitioners are graduated western medical doctors and they also take a combined approach of Chinese and Western medicine.

Does chinese medicine work miracle? Sometimes. My personal experience is that when I was a kid, I witnessed my old neighbour, who's a sailor and he got cancer. Western medical doctor told my old neighbour that he wouldnt last for another 2 years. My old neighbour went back to China and he found a secret formula. He brougt back some herbs which he grew in flower pots and made a medicine soup out of it. He ended up lasting for more than a decade. I used to mess up his flower pots of the herbs and he was really mad at me. Haha.

Anyway, I think CBA will send some doctors to evaluate Yao's injury too.

http://www.cuhk.edu.hk/scm/chi/home.html
    http://www.gzhtcm.edu.cn/
    http://www.gdhtcm.com/

7. Zfan

Zfan Member

This thread sounds ridiculous to most of you. However, it does make sense to me. I'm living in Hong Kong. It's not a secret that Chinese herbal treatment can heal faster then the modern surgery in some cases, (only some cases. I don't know Yao's case is included or not), expecially for sports injuries such as mild sprain and bone fracture. In Hong Kong, this well-known treatment is called 跌打.

I'm not a doctor. I just give my comment from what I experience in daily life. Those herbal treatment is super-effective in some cases. No kidding. I broke my ankle when I was young. After taking to the government hospital, the doctor said it would take 3 months to recover. I didn't want to carry a gypsum like disable, so I went to see a Chinese herbal si-fu. You know what? After taking those herbal things, I could walk after one week. Then fully recover in 2 weeks.

Traditional treatment is absolutely worth to try, but I don't think Yao will get a chance. The Rockets have paid huge money on insurance and the medical team. They have no reason to try an alternative.

8. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

You recall my memory, i got a similar experience as your brother. I was 14 and fell down with my bicycle when rushing to school, end in a forearm fracture. It was broken right in the middle, bent into a scary 150 degree. Like most stories, at first i was brought to a western medicine hospital and not much good happens,what the doctor firstly can do was took a X-ray and apply a cast on my arm(i refused as i thought it's non sense without repositioning my bones first), further actions need further examines(WTF? even i did not scream out but the pain REALLY hurts!). So instantly my dad took me to an old chinese traditional doctor introduced by friends.

(He's like 80 years old, i tell ya chinese traditional doctors need tons of experiences to become good, that's why every good doctor is old enough to be your grandpa)

We brought my X-ray photo from the hostpital but he refused to look at it. Instead he "repositioned" my bones barehandly within 10 minutes. Of cause with a sound in my bones but it's the indication of my bones get back to their place. Then herb patches and hard carboard suspention(yes, cardboard, i can c its cut from a shuttlecock tin, but it works well) applied, follow up treatments are just wash my arm everyday with hot ginger water and change patches. About a month later i can play ping-pong freely without any uncomfortable. Oh i can remember in a follow up treatment the doctor accused me not daring to move my arm during the time, he said it can boost my recover, pointing to a kid beside me who got a fracture at the same day as me but recovered one week faster only because he move a lot....... That is to say, that kid took just no more than 4 weeks....

Chinese traditional medicine works. But like everywhere in the world, there are good and no so good doctors. I support the idea but the key point is to get a really good doctor for Yao.

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was my last point. Yao will get the best treatments Chinese and Western medicine can provide. This won't be a case of either he does a Chinese treatment or a Western he's going to get both.

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

That maybe true. It depends you have fracture or not and the degree of sprain. If you have fracture, then you may require surgery. And surgery will take a longer time to heal - 2 + months at least.

My kid broke his elbow. X-ray showed a sprain and hair fracture. I didnt want her to have a surgery because of the scar. I talked to herb doctors, they wouldnt do anything and recommended me for surgery. The main reason was there was a sprain and fracture and the herb doctor didnt think he could fix the elbow without ending up being an twisted arm.

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Somebody tell Yao and stop wasting time... :confused:

I would go ape**** if this worked.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The main fear Western physicians have with the results of Chinese medicine is the possibility that it cures the symptoms but not the underlying problem.

There's no doubt Yao can play well under pain, but the decision to yank him early was for his future career. And with a diagnosis like tarsal navicular stress fracture, it's very hard to spot in its early stages, which is why he had been playing with it for 2 weeks.

13. skipper

skipper Member

traditional chinese medicine may help!Yao and rockets will consider that option,hope yao be back in short time(is it possible?)

PS:the translation is horrible :D :D

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

I am not a Chinese medicine doctor. But like I said in another thread, I know for a fact tiger penis will help Yao.

15. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Tiger penis helps you too. Just put a tiger penis in you mouth and suck it. You are going to enjoy it.

16. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

[​IMG]

17. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Actually, I am hoping that the Rockets can find an 'alternative' cure for Yao just like they did for T-Mac's back.

Remember T-Mac's back treatment last season?

It was an unorthodox, unproven, unscientific treatment of T-Mac's back.

While everyone was calling Dr. Patterson a quack and a witch doctor, T-Mac was very very happy with the treatment. He even got back to court much earlier than before. So far (touch wood, god willing), T-Mac has not had another back spasm yet.

What am I trying to say?

Yao should go for a few more opinions, both from orthodox medical practitioners and the unorthodox ones. See what are the treatments available that would best help him. Never discount out an unorthodox treatment as they may help faster than orthodox medicine.

Ultimately though, as a Rockets fan and Yao fan, I wish him god speed and a quick recovery.

18. Zfan

Zfan Member

Also don't forget swallow those cumming out.

19. win1031

win1031 Member

hope Yao could try
    where chinese medcine happens! :p

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Most people recover from these fractures in about 6 weeks, I think they are just being overly cautious...because of Yao's size, and the strenous job of playing basketball.

I doubt he even feels any pain in it just walking around......

DD