1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

PRYUEN,Please,someone said yao will recovery within a month if using chinese medcine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROCKU, Feb 26, 2008.

1. poprocks

poprocks Member

LOL well that's the gist of what I have read throught this thread. Some doctor of Chinese descent who says that there is only one way of treating Bone Fractures. How does he know there is only one way? If one is never exposed to the alternate, never read the data, then one only knows what he has been taught. This is the definition of a closed mind.

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

you expect folks over here to give you and/or your people some respect and THAT is what you post?

HYPOCRITE

you are more of a racist than any redneck that may live near me.

way to go hoss....it only took you ONE post to get on my ignore list, most people take over 20 crap posts before I ignore them.

3. longliverox

longliverox Member

Anyway, it deserves a try, and I honestly believe Chinese traditional medicine sometimes do work! I personally benefited from that before, and I am Chinese. Chinese traditional could be the ultimate solution for the ills that western docs cant do.

4. dkei0722

dkei0722 Member

1. Your translation is kinda rough and misses the scientific part of why Yao should try a Chinese therapy. You should know that Chinese therapies are not "magic." Or do you really think the only way to cure Chinese people over 2000 years is some kind of "magic?"

2. I agree with you second opinion.

3. Pay attention here. Neither the guy who wrote this nor the rocket fan who posted this thread here is claiming that he/she can cure Yao with the Chinese therapy. They are just giving some suggestion and hoping the CBT can do something with it.

5. LScolaDominates

There is no guarantee for any treatment. So what?

Many people have posted medical information about Yao's injury in this and other threads. Why don't you read some of it? Surgery has been shown to be an effective treatment (you know...with evidence). TCM... hasn't.

6. LScolaDominates

Nobody said that either... strike 2.

7. fayesun

fayesun Member

I dont trust this damned ad cuz if it can help, why didnt Yao use it to recover his previous injuries?

8. fayesun

fayesun Member

im a Chinese, this is a shameful fake ad

9. LScolaDominates

Good question. The answer, which is obvious to anybody who thinks about all of this for a second, is that if it worked it would be in some way incorporated into "western" medicine.

10. dkei0722

dkei0722 Member

There is a huge difference between "no guarantee" and "risks"...
    Yes, TCM might have no guarantee but there is basically no risk at all.
    On the other hand, surgery might have some sort of "guarantee" but with the risks along with it...

11. Dkny_112

Dkny_112 Member

I'll agree with some of your points. There are alot of my colleagues who believe they are gods and their arrogance is amazing to behold in person. But Bill Waltons case is actually more of the team placing a greater value on the season then Bills long term future.

However, you have to understand something. Medicine in the western world, is based on clinically substaniated results. Studies or techniques produced in Europe, Australia, Canada etc hold their weight under scrutiny. The side effects of drugs are produced and known to the presciber. Until recently, however, traditional chinese therapies have not undergone clinical trials or studies to prove their efficacy. So as a doctor, would you rather give medical that has been proven to been effective on 10000 other human beings or try something that hasn't been proven. Keep in mind, you don't know the side effects of the unknown quantity either.

Listen, i worked at a diabetic clinic in my 3rd year of medical school. In my 4 weeks there, I saw a chinese man present with kidney failure because they went away from what the doctor had prescribed in favor of a traditional chinese cure. This herb stops or decreases the urge to urinate and in fact shuts down the kidney! This poor man didnt' know any better and he just went the TCM doctor and said he had diabetes and he was peeing alot. So the guy just gave him some of this stuff. So he takes it and he doesn't need to pee as frequently anymore. Problem solved! Well not really... it basically just shut down his kidneys and put him on dialysis.

Look i'm not discounting the benefits of traditional chinese medicine. When you do anything you must ensure the benefits outweigh the harms.

With a problem like Yaos, u don't need anything special. just realign the damn bone and let it heal. I think i've spent more then enough time arguing about the merits of this. THink i'll spend my time on more productive matters.

12. LScolaDominates

So have you done the research or is this just mindless speculation? What are the risks involved with each approach?

13. dkei0722

dkei0722 Member

Oh, now you wanna argue that there is no risk with a surgery? Man, I'm not gonna waste my time arguing ttthat...
    If you wanna know how conservative TCM is, go to wikipeidia.

14. Buck Turgidson

Step 1: Kill a bunch of endangered animals

Step 2:

Step 3: Profit

15. Dkny_112

Dkny_112 Member

The infection rate is generally less then 1% in orthopedic surgeries. You do realize that you can get "infection" from contaminated acupuncture needles right? The conversation goes boths ways.

16. Dkny_112

Dkny_112 Member

Nobody is even saying Yao has to to have screws put in. That is only one of the options. Judging by his performance the last few weeks and what i gather from the press conference, his fracture is most likely not that malaligned and can be treated by just wearing a cast to keep the pressure off. No pressure from walking = no malunion. ;)

17. Munir Ming

Munir Ming Member

Your general assessment of my translation is right. I'm not a medical professional and I really don't know how to explain the complexities of the Chinese therapy.

But for the rest of your post, I say you don't read my post carefully.

1. Belive me, if Yao's injury is really that bad and then someone can get him back onto the court in one month, that's majic. (I feel all this injury thing is too dramatic to be true. Maybe it will turn out the doctors just made a mistake and Yao will play again very soon. Just my hunch.)

2. No comment.

3. That's just my guess. I used the word "might" to indicate low possibility. Given the crazy nature of the Chinese internet, we have the right to be skeptical, right?

Anyway, I'm a Chinese too, but I've never had much faith in the traditional Chinese medicine. I used to have a sick mother just like Lu Xun. Hope you understand what I mean.

18. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

doesn't hgh work well in situations like this

19. deeperblue

deeperblue Member

To tell you the truth, there are.

Please don't think that American medical professionals can't do anything, it would means others can't either.

Ask American medical professionals, how they would treat "restless leg syndrome". I had the problem, and with Chinese medicine cost me about $30 for two months, it is gone.

Another example is that I once tore my arm muscles so bad (I couldn't even pick up 1 pound weight) and with some Chinese medicine, I was fully recorverd in 3 days.

I am not saying that for Yao's particular problem, Chinese medicine is better. But there are things that Chinese medicine is better than western medicine.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yao needs to eat chinese food that our Olympic athletes won't eat...you know the kind laced with steroids and performance enhancers.

Ancient Chinese secret...