1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Provo, Utah : A Real Party Town

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jamcracker, Apr 18, 2001.

1. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Utah nightclub to install surveillance cameras, metal detectors

April 18, 2001 |

Partying just got more difficult in Provo. Not that it was easy before.

Provo, home to Brigham Young University and 30,000 Mormon students, has only one dance club, and it is smoke- and alcohol-free. Next month, a new ordinance will require Club Omni to install surveillance cameras, metal detectors and security guards.
    “We've had problems at these kind of dances. Most cases it's parking lot drinking and drugs,” said City Councilman Paul Warner. “If we have a camera there they are less likely to try and go in.”

The ordinance applies not only to Club Omni but to organizers of dance parties open to the public - even those held in students' homes. Violators can get up to six months in jail and a $1,000 fine.

If this calls to mind the hit 1980s movie “Footloose,” in which students rebelled against a ban on dancing, think again. Many BYU students say they support the ordinance. (“Footloose” was filmed in Lehi, 15 miles north of here.)

“I think surveillance cameras are OK because they will pick up drinking, smoking and drugs and spot out the person who is doing it,” said Charity Harrison, a senior attending Monday night social dancing at BYU.

The university is owned by Mormon Church, and all students must sign a pledge against alcohol, smoking and premarital sex.

No one seemed too concerned that the ordinance would cramp their style or that parties would not be held for fear of legal trouble.

The ordinance was prompted by a fatal shooting in 1998 at Club Omni, which sells drinks such as bottled juice and nonalcoholic beer. Since then, the club has had seven police calls for disorderly conduct.

A barroom around the corner that is about a quarter of the size had twice as many calls during the same period, according to police.

“I question the premise of this whole thing,” said Ken Merena, Club Omni's owner. “Where do you think there's a greater propensity for problems - here or an alcohol-serving establishment?”

The dance hall security ordinance does not apply to bars that serve alcohol, because those are “private clubs” under Utah law and are open only to members or someone sponsored by a member. They are not open to the public.

The security ordinance allows exceptions for dances put on by churches, schools or government agencies. But a Little League team trying to raise money for uniforms would have to comply.

Caleb Proulx, a BYU sophomore, said he attended a vegetarian barbecue last year that was broken up by police for being too rowdy.

“The police will use this law to justify breaking up anything,” he said. “Provo is becoming a police state with heavy-handed, fascist laws.”

The seven-member City Council was divided on the issue, with two members voting against it.

Councilman Stan Lockhart said he is not convinced the ordinance will accomplish its intent.

“I see them as using a sledgehammer to swat a fly,” he said. “We are either telling people we don't want public dances, or we're protecting the franchise of the one that's here because he's the only one that can afford it.”

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Thank God I dont live in Utah!!

Where how and when do the mormons party?

------------------
    "Chucky who?" Charles Barkley

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Damn, and I thought Baptist school was bad.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

God forbid BYU ever comes to a party in Austin....I don't think they'd be getting smashed on Frat Row or knocking back a few on Sixth Street. They'd probably be drinking juice at McDonald's. Remember, Mormons don't drink caffeine.

------------------
    "Oh No..."
    -Bill Walton in 97 just before Stockton's buzzer beater

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Mormons aren't so bad, they're basically just protestants that can read.

<font size="-20" color="006699">just a joke that I commandered from A River Runs Through It</font>

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

No way Olden Polynice is in Utah next season

Heb- LOL

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

7. unt2003

unt2003 Member

Enough with making fun of mormons....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

btw i am mormon and i DO hate the freakin jazz

------------------

8. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

i dont have any problems with mormons because all religions have their problems but that is outragious

------------------
    KD 12-21-99

9. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

I, too, am Mormon--but that joke is FREAKING hilarious, Achebe!!! [​IMG]

We ALL hate the Jazz.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

10. Hydra

Hydra Member

Isn't that more making fun of protestants than mormans?

------------------
    "Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- Dennis Miller