1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Protesting at Private Residences

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Supermac34, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

So protesting actions of your government is a right and is very important. (Excluding rioting and looting)

What is your opinion on protesting at the PRIVATE residences of elected officials. While not technically illegal if protesters stay in public spaces, is it crossing a line?

I've read several articles on how protesters are targeting private homes of mayors in cities across the US. This is where those mayors may have families and children completely unrelated to the politics of their office. Is it a fair way to protest or should it be "off limits".

This wouldn't apply specifically to things like the White House or Governors Mansions, which are owned by the people. I'm speaking only about private homes of elected officials.

My personal opinion is that it should be "off limits". Protesting government actions or decisions should be done "at work". The place where that elected official does their government business or a public area. The home should be private, and elected officials should not feel threatened in their own homes that can influence decisions one way or another. Especially if their is family in the home. It is almost similar to doxxing and harassment in my opinion. You could see how decisions could be influenced one way or another by not believing one's family would be able to safely live their lives.

2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the language of the unheard

sirbaihu likes this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The prosters don't have tangible objectives. Thats the first problem. They're wondering aimlessly

tinman and Invisible Fan like this.
  4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

And to be clear, I'm not just talking about the latest protests, but this trend in general.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yes... Yes eventually that's how human history works. For example. If you doxx private citizens for merely supporting a protest, expect lash back. It's common sense. What part do you have trouble understanding that warrants a sarcastic quip from you.

You don't think these metrics below would naturally lead to civil unrest?

https://www.taxpolicycenter.org/fiscal-fact/median-value-wealth-race-ff03112019

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...62b704-3915-11e9-a06c-3ec8ed509d15_story.html

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That phrase is usually associated with violence, looting, riots. The OP specifically said protests excluding riots and lootings.

It's a good question, dealing at least with the right to protest vs the right to privacy including family and children rights to privacy.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

My first initial reaction is off limit. But if safety and privacy of family members, neighbors can somehow be protected, why should it be off-limit? If you take direct families member, especially children out the picture, how is protesting at private property different from protesting at a private business? On government properties? On public streets? It doesn't seem to be that big of a difference. The sticky point to me is the right to privacy - but i'm not even sure if protesting at a resident is stepping on anyone right to privacy.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The president you @Supermac34 support has repeatedly sicced unaccountable goon squads on protesters in public places and encouraged murderous 17 year olds with AR15s to kill protesters

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

No Worries likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I recall this isn't just an issue of the Left but anti-abortion protesters have targeted the homes of doctors who perform abortion. I took a quick look to refresh my memory and there was a USSC case in 1995 regarding an NJ law limiting the ability of anti-abortion protesters to protests at the homes of doctors. The USSC let the law stand so there is a recognized right of privacy as it pertains to residential neighborhoods from protest.

Note the law didn't completely stop protests but provided for a 300' buffer zone from the home of the doctors being targeted and limited the protests to one hour a day.

The case is Murray v Lawson.

Nook and Amiga like this.
  11. malakas

malakas Member

Was Breonna Taylor safe in her private residence? Was it "off limits" for her murderers?

No.
    Then why should the chief of police or the mayor of that city be off limits from protests around their residence?

12. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Head of Austin's Police Union lives in my neighborhood and there have been protests at his residence. I am happy to report I see no increase in foot traffic much less crime where I live although in years past there have been break ins against homeowners that leave their garage doors open and unattended. I believe the culprits were later caught and haven't had issues since. Property value is continuing to climb and most dispatch calls I see made living here are EMS related since a good chunk of homeowners here are getting up in age.

#12 London'sBurning, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2020
    SamFisher likes this.
  13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I could see it leading to round-the-clock Secret Service type protection details for local officials, but who knows if it would be local PD, county, state law enforcement or private contractors. As far as fixing the root causes, some of those are permanent and others, like removing Trump, can be handled fairly quickly.

Nook likes this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yeap. I wasn't thinking this is a left or right issue. It's silly to think only one side protest at people private properties. Good info from the case - so there is some precedent for some privacy while allowing some limited protest at private properties.

15. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I’m all for protesting at private residence of local politicians especially the Dems that are destroying most of the cities that they run. I just love for them to taste their own medicine and feel the wrath of the scums that they support. Here in Seattle, we have the doofus mayor and city council actively supporting the rioters...err protesters, and when BLM and Antifa descended upon their homes, they cried foul and wanted police protection.

Gotta love the irony.

#15 generalthade_03, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

this is a tough one.
    due to noise complaints it is unfair to unassociated neighbors.

perhaps politicians can jump on a witness protection program of sorts. probably unrealistic.

i suppose its just enforcing standard noise laws. not sure what the laws are in general if 50 people are standing outside someone residence.

sorta like geneva convention there needs to be rules of war in protest otherwise im at your house playing pig slaughter soundtrack at 3am

what if im pro life and the person house im protesting is pro choice?
    my stance is clear so is the person..
    now what?

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Like the o.p. says whats the point of protesting fellow citizens? Your issue is with the government

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A friend of mine personally knows the mayor of fremont, california. he told me that some 'protestors' threatened the mayors family for not supporting a specific political group.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07...ily-meis-home-call-for-cutting-police-budget/
    Protesters gather in front of Fremont mayor’s home, demand police defunding
    Protest group chanted, danced in front of mayor’s home
    [​IMG]

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Except this isn't just a case of the government. In the USSC case I cited it was anti-abortion protesters protesting at the homes of doctors who performed abortions. There have also been protests at the homes of the CEO's.

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I am far more concerned with the root cause of all of this than whether protesters are outside of the home of public officials.

Personally if they are not on the private property, then I think in most cases it is fair game.

When you have rampant income inequality, a lack of social inequality and a strong politicization of the people this is what happens.

I do think that politicians need to realize that they ARE organically connected to the people and the decisions they make and that the worst outcomes isn't just losing an election and becoming a lobbyist.

malakas likes this.