1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prominent Texas city - Dallas or Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, May 20, 2010.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Port cities always trump landlocked cities.

2. updawg

updawg Member

Beaumont > Austin

3. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Outside of the US? Houston.

Inside the US?

[​IMG]

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Most people from Dallas that I have met seem less "Texan" than people from any other city in Texas. (ie if I lived in another state and met them, I never would have guessed they were from Texas without them telling me).

5. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

It seems that ways because SE Texas is where all the Battles for Texas Independence were fought. So all of Texas' history is here. And we're home to the world's largest rodeo so naturally you're going to get a more Texas feel here than in northern Texas.

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's because they're really Okies.

7. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

The fact that Houston's GDP is larger than Dallas' now (and has widened the gap this decade), proves your point. I completely agree.

8. Scarface281

Depends. CNN doesn't do that. Also, it has more to do with spacing than anything else (and I see San Antonio more than Austin).

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think as far as a lot of non-Texans go, it comes down to:

[​IMG]

VS.

[​IMG]

10. Scarface281

I disagree. For the short time I lived in Dallas before moving to Houston, Dallas feels much more "Texan". Driving around Houston, you don't feel like you're in Texas like you do in Dallas. Must be all the prairies and "wide open" spaces out there.

11. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

I've lived in both cities and Dallas doesn't have a Texas feel like Houston. There more people who actually wear boots and western wear on a regular day w/o it being rodeo season here in Houston.

There are no wide open prairies in Dallas, TX. It's all city and home of the most Fortune 500 companies in the U.S.

If want to more a Texan side in north Texas, go to Fort Worth, Mesquite, Weatherford, but not Dallas.

12. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I think it's all the a__holes in $5,000 ostrich boots and JR-style cowboy hats... okay, cheap shot...

But my point is, Dallas feels like the rest of the country's stereotyped image of Texas. It gives off a very "blue jeans, expensive boots, dress shirt (no tie), blue blazer, cowboy hat" vibe that I don't think is very "Texan" at all.

I'm a native Houstonian, but I think the place that feels most "Texan" is the Hill Country, well outside of the cities. Rocky hills, mesquite trees, very big pickup trucks, a healthy dose of Mexican ancestry, large homemade barbecue pits and smokers, tough people that are also kind and welcoming... THAT is Texan.

Sorry about the fact that there were almost more commas in this post than words. I thought about a bullet point format, but it also did not feel Texan.

1 person likes this.
  13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ffo2Oqt8bIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ffo2Oqt8bIM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No, it's not. It's 3rd. Behind Houston. Houston has almost twice as many Fortune 500 companies as Dallas does.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2009/cities/

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I see you conveniently left off Port Arthur.

16. updawg

updawg Member

Port Arthur = Lakeway

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone is forgetting what the real Texas city is:
    [​IMG]

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I agree, that dallas has a more texas feel. Not necessarily cowyboy-y, but certainly texas. Especially duting the summers. You get the dry, 100+, days.

Houston certainly has a texas feel...just not as much as dallas. Mostly, i think, because houston has more international influence. ALso, when people think texas, i dont think they don't necessarily think of it being as wet/humid/green as houston is.

19. cson

cson Contributing Member

Me too and yup!