1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Projector and Screen Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nippystix, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I humbly ask the ever-powerful Clutchfans for their advice/input/suggestions regarding a projector and screen combo that I'd like to put in a small room (10'x15') that will be used as a dedicated theater room.

I have never had a projector, but with the new consoles coming out in November, and with football season fast approaching, I figure this is a good time to jump in.

I have been looking around and doing as best research as I can, and I have the following combo in mind. Please keep in mind that my budget for this combo is around $2,000 (but I'd go up to as high as $2,500 if it meant receiving a huge boost in quality). Obviously I understand that my budget means I won't be getting any top of the line stuff, but I'm hoping for a great starter combo.

Projector: I'm thinking about the Epson Powerlite 3020, which is around $1,600 at Amazon. I think my use for the projector is fairly typical, sports and gaming will be the biggest factors, so please keep that in mind specifically. While 1080p is a must, 3D is not important to me at all, and I'd rather not pay extra for a feature that we won't utilize anyway. That being the case, would this projector be a good choice for watching sports and playing xbox one/ps4? I ready something about either ghosting (not even sure what that is to be honest) or a lag during videogame play. Are these valid concerns? Is there another projector around the same price range that would be a better buy for me?

Screen: I've read that there are simple ways to make your own screen, and you can do so at a fraction of the cost. I've also read that screens are really important, and some even pay more for the screen than for a projector. I'm not sure if the latter is simply a sales pitch or not. That being said, I was thinking of something in the middle. Someone suggested to me:
    Screen Innovations HDTV Matte White 1.1 Theater Sensation Fixed Screen (still debating between the 100" or 110")
    Is this a good screen? There is a window in the back of the room, so even though I have a dimmer in the room, it's not entirely light-controlled. Apparently these screens keep the picture bright and crisp, even in lit rooms. Same questions as with the projector; are there any better screens around the same price point?

The 2 options I'm considering are around the budget of $2,000. Before making the plunge and getting these 2, I was hoping to get any and all feedback if these are wise choices or not. Would you recommend spending a little more in order to get greater performance? Also, how many years to projectors/bulbs last? I'm hoping to get about 5 years on it. Is this realistic? Sorry for the plethora of questions, but as I stated earlier, this is my first theater room and I'm trying to obtain all information/advice/suggestions I can before spending what I consider to be a lot of money. Thanks in advance!

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

My first impression is that the room might be too small for that big of a screen. I always heard that as a rule of thumb, the optimal viewing distance is anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 times the size of the screen.

3. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

honestly, ide rather buy a cheap vizio 70 - 80 inch tv rather than the projector / screen combo.

I think a tv has way better quality and is much brighter, esp with a room with a window.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thanks for the input Rashmon and CoolGuy. I actually meant to add that as an alternative, if it might just be better to go with a 60-70" LED or something. As to Rashmon's concern about it being too big, it's valid, but I did to a quick check using the good old measuring tape, and although it would take up the majority of the wall, I still think it could work (although that might just be stubborn of me).

Any suggestions on a solid 70" TV around the same price range?

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

My concern was more with optimal viewing distance and not whether it would fit. Optimal viewing distance for a 100" screen would be around 13 feet away.

1 person likes this.
  6. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

I'm not gonna write too much on this projector, but check out your projector's stats here:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3020.htm?metric=0

Then consider your room setup. Where will the projector be? How will you hang/mount it? How far from the screen will it be? Check the throw distance calculator here: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Home_Cinema_3020-projection-calculator-pro.htm. That will tell you how big the screen can be at X distance. Do this for any projector you consider to make sure it fits your room properly.

You are right in wanting to get a screen for your projector. A screen with a good gain rating will make the picture pop so much more than a flat white wall or a cheap screen like you would see in an office building. However, if you have too much light in the room, it won't matter how good your screen/projector combo is. You absolutely should not have direct light seeping in from a window onto the screen or it will annoy the hell out of you. Consider getting curtains or blinds to reduce any natural light you have in the room regardless of what you buy.

FYI, many projectors are not really fit for gaming. Input lag is a huge issue for gaming with projectors and it's not a metric that they show in the technical stats. The one you listed apparently isn't great with input lag. A lot of PC monitors have the same issue too, so it's not just projectors. If you only play singleplayer games, it probably won't bug you too much, but if you're an online FPS kind of guy, it will annoy you. For reference anything under about 20 ms input lag is good. Here's what I found on the projectorcentral site regarding that:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson_3020e_home_video_projector_review.htm?page=Limitations

I don't know if you are considering other projectors, but a few that I know of that have good input lag times are Benq W7000 and the Sony VPL-HW20 series. Both are highly regarded in gaming circles. There might be newer versions of those two, but those were the models I was looking at upgrading to a few months ago.

I have been using a projector/screen combo since 2006 for my gaming and movie needs, and I love it. I have a 106' setup, and my friends are always impressed when they see it. It's pretty sweet once you get things set up, and if you're a movie lover, you can beat the crap out of Cinemark.

7. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Hmmm interesting, so it'd be ok to sit towards the back of the room to watch sports or a movie, but not necessarily a row up in front of the sofa to play videogames? I'll definitely need to take that into consideration. Thanks man!

8. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Actually sorry, those projectors I recommended are a bit out of your price range. I have been getting by on an Optoma for several years now, and I have found them to be pretty good, especially for the value. You may want to look into the Optoma HD25, as it's a bit cheaper, lighter on features, but still gets the job done with a sub 20 ms input lag.

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD25-3D-Home-Theater-Projector/dp/B00CHHHK5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377113426&sr=8-1&keywords=optoma+projector+hd25

Another good one in that price range is the BenQ W1070 series. You can find those for under $1000, making them a good buy, especially if it's your first projector.

1 person likes this.
  9. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thanks Dutch! I am definitely considering other projectors, and any and all suggestions are welcome. I looked into the Sony VPL-HW20 series on Amazon, and it came up to be almost $3,200 (over my budget of $2,500 for both the projector and screen). I do see that the Sony VPLHW30ES is $2,500 though, so that is more doable for me. BenQ7000 is a shade under $2,100, but didn't get overwhelmingly great ratings. I guess if gaming circles are high on these projectors, they definitely warrant consideration. Do you have any suggestions on a good screen that won't break the bank? Thanks again!

10. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

I mentioned a couple of more reasonably priced projectors in my last post. I haven't used them myself, but they have the right input lag for gaming, and the image quality is good. I'd recommend googling the specific model you want to settle on, and see what comes up with reviews, ratings, forums, etc. CNET and Youtube have tons of videos on projectors with commentary that can be very helpful in gauging expectations.

As for screens, I only have the one that came with my original Optoma HD72 projector. I believe it's a 1.8 gain, pulldown/retractable screen like the one featured here: http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-DS-GWII9106P-106-Inch-Manual-Projector/dp/B000ETRAPU It was about $175-200 retail when I bought the projector, but it came free on a bundled deal. You might be able to find something similar if you look around beyond Amazon. I got mine from Butterflyphoto many years ago. My screen is mounted to the ceiling, and I just pull it down as needed. You may not want to do that, in which case you would be looking for one with a stand.

Couple other things to consider before you purchase:
    1. What sort of sound system will you use? Projectors obviously don't have speakers worth using, so you need a good 5.1 system to get the most out of your experience. There are tons of ways you could go with this, but you should consider it.

2. What sort of receiver will you use? This goes with the sound system, but you need to have a receiver that takes in all the inputs and has your sound outputs directly to the spearkers, and an HDMI out to your projector. I'm a big fan of Denon, and I have the 1612 in my theater room. It works great, and it's not terribly expensive. If you need extra zones, you will need to get a higher end model.

3. Universal remotes. Some people can deal with the Harmony crap, I can't so I got a Logitech RF remote for everything. It's nice to have a single button to press to turn on the receiver, projector and Xbox all at the same time. Projectors have a boot up time, usually 30 seconds or so, and it's nice to have that all in one button. Not necessary, but a good idea to consider getting something like that.

4. How are you going to wire things in the room? Can you go through walls, ceiling, etc to get the wires to your projector, speakers, etc. Plan all that out ahead of time, it makes a big difference.

5. Mounts. I have a ceiling mount that works for my setup, you might be better off letting it sit on a coffee table. I dunno what your room is like or what you want it to be, but figure that out before you dive in.

6. Bulb replacements. Most projectors give you about 2000-5000 hours out of the bulbs, what they don't tell you is that rating is usually on the lowest settings, non-hd, and standard def. It sucks, but that's just how it is. Bulbs are usually about $75-200 for a replacement, depending on the projector. It's easy to replace a bulb, but just be aware that you will have to do it. In 7 years, I'm on my 4th bulb, so it's not so bad. Check the prices on the replacements for whatever you are looking at and make sure you're ok with the added cost and maintenance.

11. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thanks again Dutch. See my answers above...

And thanks again. You provided some nice lower priced projectors that I will definitely look into. Since this is my first experience, I'm thinking I'll probably be plenty impressed even with a starter projector like the BenQ W1070. I guess the key here is that I want to have a great gaming projector in preparation of the XBox One and PS4. I'll read up more on that one and the other projectors you listed.

12. dragician

dragician Member

projector was the technology when we didn't have 70 inch tv for less than 2k.

13. Houst0ne

Houst0ne Member

Not worth it

14. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

No problem dude, happy to help out. One other thing to be careful of is the mount you buy. You said you were using a ceiling mount, and they do make universal mounts, but every projector that I have ever looked at has a mount specifically designed for it from the manufacturer. It's usually best to go with the one for the projector, and just replace the whole thing if you ever change it in the future. However, manufacturers like Epson, Optomo, BenQ and Sony tend to use the same mounting plate structure for all their projectors of a certain class, so you may not need to switch out the mount if you stay with the same brand down the road.

15. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I have been doing research on projectors and this one gives you the best specs for the money, with a 5,000 lumen of brightness you will not have to turn any lights off and its full HD, dual HDMI and so on. This projector is a BEAST!

http://www.viewsonic.com/us/pro8520hd.html

16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I have a dedicated home theater with a projector screen combo. I bought mine a couple of years ago and mine was at a higher price point than yours (JVC RS40) so I don't have much to contribute on that front. But I can tell you that mine plays video games just fine. I don't play a ton on there but I have had no problems with faster games like God of War.

As for the screen, mine is 133" and is great for the 2nd row but maybe a little too big for some people in the front row. My room is not too big - 12' x 18'. But it's not even really that big because I have built-in cabinetry so my screen mounting point is in front of that, so essentially only 12' x 16'. First row of seats start at 10' back and back row is 16'. It goes down to preference. For some people my screen will be too big. For me the back row is perfect and the front only a little too big but I can lean my theater seat back and it's fine. Get a big white bed sheet and tape it up on the wall and get a feel for it. Or do what I did and buy the projector first and just project it on the blank wall to get a feel for it.

Also, Monoprice.com not only has real cheap cables but they sell cheap projector screens too. They are rebranded GrandView so pretty good quality.

17. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thanks for the suggestion dan. Although it does look nice, it's a little bit more than my budget. At the moment, as I continue to do my research, I'm leaning toward the BenQ W1070 that Dutch recommended. It seems to be affordable and good for gaming, probably the 2 most important factors for me.

18. dmc89

dmc89 Member

OP, I'm an A/V enthusiast with like-minded friends. A few went your route (<$3k budget, primarily sports + gaming, non-light controlled room, etc.), and they regret it now. Modern TVs would have been their choice now.

As someone already posted, we've entered a new period of TV prices/bang-for-your-buck. Projectors with their reliance on room lighting and bulb costs aren't that good of a buy for the consumer on a small budget. Since you'll be using it for football seasons and gaming, that bulb won't hold up versus a 2012/3 TV. For example, when watching with friends, you sit in a bright room and eat chips + dip, or you may game for 2+ hours. It's much easier to do that with the TV setup.

Like Yonkers, I have a JVC projector for a dedicated HT room. The screen size is greater than any TV that can be made in the foreseeable future. In other words, if you're getting a projector setup, go for the real deal: optimal room, light-controlled, mounted on ceiling, stadium seating, variable masking screen, etc.

19. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thanks for your input, and you clearly know a ton more about this stuff than I. However, I'm a little confused, as you start off by saying a TV is better, but then saying that if I do go for it, go for the real deal. The room I will be using will be a dedicated HT room (just a smaller one at 15' x 10' - I believe I switched those two originally, and that kind of makes a difference).

Are you saying to not go cheap with the projector/combo? Would the BenQ W1070 not be a good choice in your opinion? I'd be using this room to watch sports, movies with the family, and gaming on the next gen consoles coming out in November. I plan on mounting the projector on the ceiling (the room is already pre-wired for that, along with 5.1 surround sound). Although there is a window in the back of the room, I plan on at least closing the blinds, or trying to cover it up more thoroughly (I saw some ideas at avs forums where some folks were able to almost completely block out incoming light from windows). The stadium seating is an option, but I'm currently leaning for a sofa as the back row so we can all sit close together as a family when we watch movies, with a few seats in front of the sofa when I play videogames. I'm not even sure what "variable masking screen" is to be honest.

That being the case, do you have a specific projector recommendation (perhaps your JVC), or maybe even some projector manufacturers to stay away from? I appreciate your input, I'm just learning here - slowly I might add!

20. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Thanks to Ben Affleck, I'm sure my poor thread will get even less traffic. More proof why Ben Affleck sucks at life. Getting back to the thread, I can assure you that Ben Affleck as Batman will not be played in my theater room, haha!