1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Projecting Astros '15 Roster - Advocating FA/Trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by travfrancis, Jun 13, 2014.

1. MrBear1

MrBear1 Member

Mets are so dumb

2. awc713

awc713 Member

I believe they may only have to sacrifice their 2nd rounder? I'm not sure how qualifying offers work exactly, but, to my understanding, if Cuddyer fits in the lower threshold than it's only a 2nd rounder.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Singleton to the outfield? Have you seen him play first base?

4. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Member

There are no tiers anymore in the new cba. Any player that rejects a QO will cost the signing team their first eligible pick (top 10 overall protected). Mets are giving up the number 15 overall pick with this signing.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lol yeah.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Astros are one of about a dozen teams to inquire about free agent pitcher Jason Hammel <a href="http://t.co/B4WQYSEdVW">http://t.co/B4WQYSEdVW</a></p>&mdash; Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) <a href="https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/531958721447227392">November 10, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

They're probably gonna do their due diligence and inquire on every middle of the rotation starter who might bite on a Feldman-like contract.

8. Buck Turgidson

This is possibly the worst idea I've heard since Bagwell throwing LH. Put Carter in LF while you're at it, Singleton can play right, OF isn't that hard.

9. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Hey I wasn't far off! ;) It's crazy how inflated free agency is. But honestly, if it wasn't for the loss of the high draft pick, I am completely fine with the salary in this deal.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a>, looking for help on left side of IF, have checked in on Hanley. Team has Correa coming at SS; Moran, Ruiz at 3B. So...</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/532184575712432129">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It is unclear whether <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> would be willing to sign Hanley to a contract as large as he wants. Might prefer more short-term solutions.</p>&mdash; Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/532184605663973376">November 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

With the glut of catchers, Corporan can move to CF.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Corporan is our new set-up guy.

13. No Worries

No Worries Member

A bird in hand (Hanley) is worth two in the bush (Moran,Ruiz).

14. juicystream

juicystream Member

I'm surprised. I thought he'd get closer to $15M over 2 years if he turned down the QO. Mets didn't let it get to that point (I assume Cuddyer's agent said they would take the QO if Mets didn't give them enough to sign before the deadline).

15. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

If he was looking for $15M, why would he have not just taken the QO of $15.3M? That would have only taken 1 year to earn as well. If it was going to be 2 years, it simply had to be in the 20-25M range for it to make sense for Cuddyer. The salary is fine with me (a slight overpay, but this is free agency, so a slight overpay ends up being a bargain sometimes), the loss of the high pick is the deal breaker for me.

16. MadMax

MadMax Member

That's going to make me dislike the Cosart trade even more.

17. juicystream

juicystream Member

Of course he would have. I just figured if he turned it down, he'd have been in trouble.

Kendrys Morales was younger, healthier and just as good of an offensive player, and he ended up sitting out until after the draft. Stephen Drew sat out as well and ended up resigning with his own team and it cost him millions. Nelson Cruz had to settle for $8M.

It worked out so badly for those guys, that I couldn't see it working out for Cuddyer. Instead his agent got a deal done before he had to decide on the QO, and it worked out well for him.

18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I understand your take. Overall valid, but I'd respectfully disagree and say that across the board, Cuddyer is, and over the last several seasons, has been a much better offensive player than Morales. Drew did surprise me, because he plays at a premium position. I think Cruz's PED suspension is what cost him millions, not necessarily the draft pick (although I'm sure the draft pick didn't help his cause). I was genuinely surprised when Morales turned down all of that guaranteed money.

19. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Oh wow, he's a FA? I certainly wouldn't mind him on a shorter deal. Someone will surely give him a longer one though.

20. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I'd be ecstatic with Hanley on a two or three year deal. It would be a great signing