1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#Progress: White to work out with member of Rockets staff at Toyota Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 20, 2012.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's going to regret saying that first part.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would agree if I thought he ever really planned to play in this league. I think he is going to be perfectly happy taking whatever guaranteed money he is already going to get and then tweet his life away.

3. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

They wouldnt be playing either. I figured it out, Royce knows Mcfail wont play rookies because he is stuck in the past so hes chillin waiting for next year to join the team when he is not a rookie. He could score eighty a game in the D league and it wouldnt make a difference. He is smarter then we think he is.

4. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

How many times are people going to say this? That's a stupid comment and I can't believe people keep saying it. Have you ever heard of Chandler parsons?

5. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

Please, Morey. Dump this guy.

He might be an interesting case off the court, but he doesn't have the psychological makeup to be a professional NBA player at all.

6. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Wow i'm done with this trash player. Reading his twitter feed makes me want to punch something.

See if some franchise will bite for a 2nd rounder or whatever, if not cut his ass.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Why not all those with twitter accounts bomb his twitter with troll comments. Just all saying the same annoying thing. Let's see what his #AnxietyAttack will do.

8. tomato

tomato Member

RT @Highway_30 ya'll can talk bout #basketball but im here for #transparency and worms #RoyceWhiteWormsInButt

Getting real sick of this guy!

9. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

This Royce guy sound so immature judging by the way he tweeted. Why would you want someone with that type of attitude on your team with that kind of arrogant. You want someone that persevere, stay calm and act professionally. I don't care how talented he is...even if he's just another Boozer type...i don't think his attitude is right for this team chemistry.

10. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SSRIs are the most commonly prescribed medicines for mood disorders. They "may" be doing more damage, but that chance is very, very slim. If it wasn't, lawyers would be lining up suing every pharm company in sight.

Books on the topic, or generally any healthcare issue is not reliable. Books are tertiary sources; you need to have primary sources, such as articles and trials from PubMed. Many books have data that are taken from 1) old data, 2) trials that are inadequately designed, 3) trials with not enough sample size, etc.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I googled Michael Stephenson and found this article. Reading it put a tear in my eye

Timberwolves mourn passing of biggest fan

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Mike Stephenson couldn't talk and still managed to get himself suspended from Minnesota Timberwolves practice for saying too much.

He couldn't walk and still managed to crawl out of his wheelchair to wipe up a wet spot he noticed on the court before anyone else could get there.

He couldn't shoot and still managed to leave a lasting impact on the organization that took him in and treated him as one of the guys.

Stephenson was born with cerebral palsy and died earlier this week after the latest in a long line of bouts with pneumonia, leaving Timberwolves past and present to mourn one of the team's biggest fans, and biggest inspirations. He was 42.

"He was so good for the players and the rest of us,'' former coach and executive Flip Saunders said. "They all make a lot of money and are kind of on a different level. But Mike helped them get a better understanding that there's other things, bigger things, that make the world go round.''

Stephenson was born in the small town of Spring Valley, about two hours south of the Minneapolis. Cerebral palsy rendered him unable to talk and sentenced him to life in a wheelchair.

"When he was born the doctors told us he was severely mentally r****ded and we should just put him in a home and forget about him,'' his mother Barb Stephenson said.

Barb and Randy Stephenson didn't do that and their son grew up to earn a bachelor's degree in political science from Southwest State University before moving to the big city and latching on with the Timberwolves.

A passionate sports fan, Stephenson started showing up to Timberwolves games regularly near the turn of the century. He had an elaborate electronic board mounted on his wheelchair that would allow him to hit certain buttons, which would prompt a computerized voice to say sentences he constructed. Never bashful, he once chased down former Wolves executive Kevin McHale at a Twins game and asked for his email.

Saunders would see Stephenson scooting around Target Center and struck up a conversation. Stephenson asked to come to practice, using that gregariousness he got from his father.

"I'll talk to a wall if it will listen,'' Randy Stephenson said.

Saunders started allowing Stephenson to come and watch practice, a privilege granted to very few. It came back to bite him later when Stephenson called into local sports talk radio station KFAN to break the news that the injured Wally Szczerbiak was practicing and likely to play in an upcoming game. Saunders barred him from practice for a week.

"Loose lips sink ships,'' McHale playfully chided him once. But all was clearly forgiven because Stephenson even appeared in the team's official photo in 2002-03.

Sam Mitchell could always hear Mike coming before he saw him. The hum of Stephenson's motorized wheelchair or his howl of excitement always getting the forward's attention for some basketball talk.

"I looked at Mike as an able-bodied person,'' Mitchell said. "He got around differently than me, communicated differently than me. But he didn't let his disability become a disability. Why should I treat him that way? People would always tell me how nice it was for us to spend time with him. I felt honored that Mike took time out to spend time with us. I felt like he was doing us a favor.''

He had a sports blog and a Twitter account and would pepper reporters with sharp, insightful questions about how players fit into the system, who was on the trade block and how much patience owner Glen Taylor would have with the coach on the job at the time.

"He studied up on things,'' Saunders said. "He knew a lot about the game, about our players. He couldn't accept that he had a disability.''

That's how he was raised, to be as independent as possible. And his enthusiasm was infectious.

"He led a good life,'' Randy said. "A lot of people felt sorry for them when they met him but he didn't want any sympathy. He just wanted to be friends.''

Stephenson overcame cerebral palsy, overcame almost any obstacle put in front of his wheelchair. But he couldn't overcome the pneumonia that returned regularly thanks to his insistence on eating by mouth rather than through a tube. His doctors warned him that eating that way could cause food to aspirate in his lungs and bring on pneumonia. But Mike just loved food too much, and eating was another activity that made him just like everyone else.

The bouts got more difficult as time went on, the latest coming on Dec. 14. It caused him to vomit, which is extremely dangerous for someone in his condition. By Monday doctors told them "a decision had to be made,'' Randy said.

Rather than endure it any longer, Randy said Mike decided to enter hospice care and say goodbye.

"I hesitated,'' Randy said. "But Mike just kept shaking his head yes. He knew what was going to happen.''

A funeral was scheduled for Saturday in Elkton and he will be laid to rest in Dexter, where his parents live. The Timberwolves planned to honor him during their game on Wednesday against McHale's Houston Rockets.
    One thing is for sure, the kid his parents were told to leave behind won't be forgotten anytime soon.

"Mike was a true fan,'' Mitchell said. "He loved the players and he loved the Timberwolves. Through the good times and bad times, he was always right there in the tunnel.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nb...sota-timberwolves-fan-death.ap/#ixzz2GKUneF2e

#271 Invisible Fan, Dec 28, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

^I don't expect all people with disabilities to act like that, but reading Michael Stephenson's story is pretty inspirational for my own first world problems.

If I was Royce White's follower/devoted hater, I'd ask him to give back the money the Rockets gave him.

You ****ing con artist.

For real. Total nutjob.

Even if he came out averaging 10 assists/10 boards/10 pts for the rest of the season, it'd just mean he'd have even more leverage to ruin a team to his favor.

Knowing that, he's not even a two year project. He's a perpetual time bomb.

I'd find a way to welsh on his contract or get insurance to pay for his injured ass.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm pretty sure the reason they require him to visit dr. phinky on a regular basis is so they can collect insurance $ off his con-tract

14. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

There are players in the nba 100 times worse ...

Artest
    Kobe
    Jr
    Kidd

Etc.

15. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Bear with me if someone has asked this question already.

If White was diagnosed mentally unfit for the NBA games, can the team get a Disabled Player Exception from his situation? If so, how would that impact the salary cap this season and the coming one?

This is what I got from cba 101:

[rQUOTEr]
    (8) Disabled Player Exception.
    A team may replace a player who suffers a season-ending injury with one player making up to 50% of the injured player’s current salary, up to a maximum of 108% of the average player salary for the prior season. The Disabled Player Exception is available in the following circumstances:

(a) If the player is injured between July 1 and November 30 and is determined to be out for that season, the team has 45 days from the date the Exception arose to use the Exception (In general, a Disabled Player Exception arises on the date the team knew or reasonably should have known that the injury or illness would cause the player to miss the season); or

(b) If the player is injured between December 1 and June 30 and is determined to be out for the remainder of that season and the subsequent season, the team has until the following October 1 to use the Exception.

[/rQUOTEr]

Link: http://www.nba.com/.element/mp3/2.0/sect/podcastmp3/PDF/CBA101.pdf

16. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

I was wondering the same thing.

17. pepsi7up

pepsi7up Member

basketball will take white back

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

those are actually balling

19. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Hit the nail on the head! The only way Royce will succeed is if he is "THE" star. It is his only nail to hang his anxiety on, but that won't happen and he won't succeed in the NBA. College, he could pull that off and be a superstar, but in the NBA everyone is elite, and to be a "superstar" in the NBA requires mental toughness and he is mentally weak. An oxymoron I don't see him overcoming.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

yep, at this point it's all about showing a good faith effort for insurance/lawsuit purposes

I imagine as soon as the attorneys/accountants give the go ahead, he's gone