1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ProFootballtalk.com] The Texans leaning against keeping David Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Nov 16, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

DAVID DONE IN HOUSTON?

"Despite indications that the Texans plan to keep quarterback David Carr via an $8 million option bonus, we're hearing that the team is taking a careful look at the pool of available quarterbacks for 2006 -- and that the Texans currently are leaning against keeping Carr.

Though many assume that Carr's struggle are the result of poor pass protection, the main knock on Carr is that he simply cannot pick up the secondary receiver when his primary guy isn't open.

Currently, Houston has a one-game "lead" over a cluster of 2-7 teams for the No. 1 overall pick in the draft. If the Texans remain among this team of turds come late December, look for owner Bob McNair to keep his $8 million in his pockets -- and to permit Carr to hit the road.

The other option, of course, is the negotiation of a new deal with Carr that would allow him to stay at a more appropriate cap number and pay package. In this regard, the Texans have more than a little leverage, since no one that we know of is crossing their fingers and toes in the hopes that Carr will become a free agent. But even if Carr stays, our guess is that he gets some real competition for the starting job in the offseason."

2. MustangPride73

nice reliable source lol

3. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Speculation: Yes

Accurate: Sure

We should be thinking twice about blowing $8MM on this avg. QB...A renegotiated contract is definitey needed if he is to stay the QB for Houston...However, this will depend on who the next GM & Coach are...

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

profootballtalk.com is the Chad Ford of the NFL. Opinions turned into rumors... nothing more.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

can't wait for Rick to see this

*runs and hides*

6. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

1.Hire Jimmy Johnson as coach/gm
    2.Trade David Carr to the Jets, Dolphins, Baltimore for an OL
    3.Draft Reggie Bush
    4.Signed a veteran QB for 1-2 yr
    5.Draft a QB in 07' (Marcus Vick, Vince Young)

7. coma

coma Contributing Member

Are you thinking about Ric from houstonprofootball.com?

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Man, I can't believe after 4 years, our team is complete ****. I still believe in Carr, but I don't mind giving his ass up for a quality QB by FA or in the draft. They need to fire the rest of the bastards (Pendry, Fangio, Casserly, etc.) and bring in a quality team to start fresh, and start w/ building the OL.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

Oops.

Nevermind.

:)

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I'll bet they pay him.

McNair won't start over with a new qb this soon.

Of course everyone else will get the axe.

11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

That's funny cause all indications I've read from local, more credible news outlets are that the team will exercise the option and retain Carr. Makes a lot more sense to rebuild that OL first, then look to a new QB down the road.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Maybe we can go after one of these QB's if McNair thinks Carr sucks too

Billy Volek
    Matt Shaub (sp)?
    Phillip Rivers
    Kelly Holcomb
    Jon Kitna
    Brian Griese

13. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Man, even if you think Carr is really just an average QB, anyone can see that QB isn't our top problem - it's not even in the top ten. You've got massive holes on both lines, linebackers who aren't talented enough to play the 3-4, only one legit WR, a coach who likes to run on 3rd & long, and a GM who bats about .200. Meanwhile, David Carr is the face of the team. Yeah, getting rid of him is obviously at the top of McNair's to do list. :rolleyes:

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think if VY came out this year, he would. McNair is a Houston guy and he knows what a hometown kid like VY could do for this franchise. But of course, VY has said he plans on returning, but I think a Heisman and NC would change that quickly.

I'm honestly stuck in the middle. On one hand, I'd too see us stuck with Carr and a 8M/yr contract, but I also want to see what Carr could with a real OL.

Whoever our GM is this summer (hopefully not Casserly), he's gonna have his work cut out for him.

15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

it's cool - it's just a stage name, anyway.

i'm completely 50/50 on carr. i have no clue. was for the pick in 2002, have defended him for much of his career, but have begun to sour the past year an a half.

i think they should bench him so we can see a0 just how bad the line is; b) just how bad the WRs are; c) just how bad (or good) carr is.

if banks fills in and plays markedly better, carr isa big part of the problem and i wouldn't exercise the option. if he doesn't... well, not sure, LOL, since banks sucks. it may only mean carr sucks, too.

i guess it comes down to their view of leinart. if he's once-in-a-generation, you go amnesty int'l on carr's ass and take a chance on leinart.

16. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

I don't think Carr is one of our big problems, but I also don't think he deserves 8 million dollars thrown his way. Screw that.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

but if you have the possibility of getting a do over like this you take.

C'mon, at best carr and leinarts skill set are about equal. Plus, there are probably at least two gm's in this league that would give a first rounder for Carr. Being that Leinart doesn't have the 4 years of pounding that Carr does, it seems a no brainer to attempt a trade (not just cut) of Carr for a first (then used for a tackle) then draft Leinart and build for 2 seasons away.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

the Texans and Carr will rework an extension to keep him here for less money, bank on it.

19. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Why does everyone think Banks' sucks? I remember him coming in for relief for David for the past couple years and doing a good job. He definetly does no worse than Carr does. I really think the team owes it to themselves to let him start one game. That will tell alot about where we are with the QB situation. As for us so called not having quality receivers, I think that is a load of crap. If the Coaches would bench Corey Bradford and let D.Armstrong and J.Gaffney play that would be proven wrong. Then again it is also up to David to look for other receivers not just A.J. and D.D. all the time. Think about it.

20. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

After tonights game I doubt they keep him, especially not for 8mil.