1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Problem with Internet Access

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nikos, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Nikos

Nikos Member

I just came back to school after being away for the weekend.

And when I turn on my cpu, then the Internet I notice there is a SERVER error that occurs RIGHT away.

Usually when my Internet isn't working it thinks a little before it giving an error message or any indication that something is wrong. Now it just simply gives me the server error, and typical error RIGHT away when I open IE.

What can I do to fix this? I unplugged the ethernet cable several times, restarted etc....and it still doesn't work. Everytime I plugged in the ethernet cable it said LAN connected etc....and packets SLOWly went up under received and sent.

Yet I can't use the Internet? I used Adware an dSpybot to get rid of eZula and all the other spyware on my cpu. And it still gives me problems.

Anyone know what I can do to fix this? My IP address shows etc....

But I still keep getting the same error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

describe your hookup...what is your computer hooked to...and how does that access the internet normally?

what OS?
    find your IP information and tell me that..

need more info...exact wording of the error?

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I will also need your birth date, mother's maiden name and social security number before bring able to diagnose the problem.;)

4. Nikos

Nikos Member

QUOTE]describe your hookup...what is your computer hooked to...and how does that access the internet normally?[/QUOTE]

Its hooked to the LAN ethernet jack, when I plug it in and out it says LAN connected etc.... I am on the school network.

I have Windows XP.

My Ip address etc... seems to look fine.

AOIM doesn't work, IE and Netscape give the Server Error right off the bat.

What could be the problem? My roomates Internet work fine.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

when you say it looks fine(IP) I assume that means it isnt the autoconfigured IP addy...(169.xxx.xxx.xxx) doublew check it against your roommates Ip and see if the first two octets match (at least, it will probably be the first 3 octets)

btw...octets are the parts of your ip address...it is divided into 4 octets(the parts between the periods)

also....to make sure...go thru the directions that every uni has posted online as to make sure all your settings are correct

more than likely what is wrong is that to your OS you dont have a internet connection...it is hard to be exact without the error message indetail...but it sounds like that.

take your rommies network cable and swap it out with yours to see if that does the trick...also, find the updated drivers for your NIC and install them(get on your roomies machnie to download them)....plug roomies computer into your port(where yours is plugged in) and see if it works....if it does, and using another cable doesnt work, and your ips match(to the third octet)...then there is a possibility that the NIC is bad.....try reinstalling it.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

my sister has a pc with an IE that doesn't open. it keeps giving the error message. i d/l firefox, and kicked IE to the curb.

ok, that doesn't solve your IE problem but at least you can surf.

7. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Update your IE. I had to do it this morning.

8. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

if it was just his IE...it wouldnt affect the AOL IM.

Im afraid his problem is a little deeper than that.

9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I didn't mean to post it as a statment. I should have put a "?".:)