1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pro-Mingers and Anti-Mingers on Record?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by okuseinde, Jun 19, 2002.

1. okuseinde

okuseinde Member

I don't know if this would be possible for Clutch to do, but I think it would be good to put up a record of pro- and anti-Mingers which would be available for the next couple of years. That way all those who keep making wise-ass comments about Ming not being up to NBA competition will not be able to back off what they said earlier and would be forced to eat their words publicly, when Ming starts doing very well.
    I just cannot understand why people can be so negative about a guy who has long been scouted by experts, including Rockets experts, and has been said to be the best available center in the draft. He even got Rudi more thrilled after Rudi saw his workout with the Chinese national team last week. The anti-Mingers say the guy will be a bust in the NBA simply because he hasn't played consistently against NBA competion, and they believe college players would be better, conveniently forgetting that they too haven't played against NBA competition. They conveniently forget that when future draftees work out for NBA teams, they go against fellow colege players, not against NBA players, simply because everybody knows that they need some experience before getting to the NBA level.
    When people want to criticise Ming, they always say he would be mangled by Shaq - they compare a would-be rookie who is not yet 22 to a 10-year NBA veteran with several NBA titles.
    So, if it would be possible, Clutch, let us put the records straight. I would then dare the anti Ming camp - prominently Oski, ElGrandQueso and UTBaller among others, to put down their words for posterity. In a couple of years, they would then be able to see how silly their criticism of Ming was.

2. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

"Yao Ming will be average."
    "Yao Ming will never win a championship."
    "Yao Ming will never win an MVP award."
    "Yao Ming will not win the Rookie of the Year award."
    "Yao Ming will be a BUST."

Quote me, I dare ya!

3. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

They also forget the fact that Yao has played internationally for many years against quality centers, which can't be said for most other draft hopefuls. The only risk I can see for Yao is his need and commitment to his national team, or else he is almost a no-brainer.

-G'day-

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Can it work the other way though? If you say Yao will be good and he flops, will I be able to ridicule you for what you've said in this forum?
    I'd like to see this be fair.

5. Possum

Possum Member

Why don't everyone just add it to there sig?
    Pro Ming
    Anti Ming

6. Sugar Land

Sugar Land Member

We are Rockets FANS. Not the coach or the staff.

If Rockets choose Yao, BE IT!

Wether we are pro or anti Yao does not matter.

Let Rockets do their job. Let Yao run the course.

Just cheer for Rockets. If Yao arrives, cheer for him too.

Don't worry. Be happy.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I agree with Sugar Land, especially since we have no real control over this... :D

Pro-Ming

Bust or no bust, 4 years is a long road for a guy who has everything to prove to 1 billion people. He will make it.

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I was wondering about that. Some of the people who are so anti-Yao that they put up websites saying "Yao Ming Sucks" have pretty much forfeited the right to ever cheer for him if he does become good. I mean how can the anti-Ming crowd truly turn around and cheer for him after some of the things said. Have you no conscience? Have you no shame? I'm not talking about those who have questions about Yao Ming's game, I'm talking about those who flat out say he's going to suck and the Rockets are making a big mistake. Could you actually cheer for him a year down the road and feel good about yourself? If so, I feel sorry for you.

9. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Pro Ming

how many season are we giving him before declaring a bust?
    (kwame looks like a bust).

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Pro Ming, without a doubt,if he is a bust you can all tell me i said he would be a all star.

11. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Pro Ming- for 2 reasons (after watching every tape I could find of him):

1. He has the skills- he is a rare talent for his size, can shoot, pass, athletic, can definately play ball. He has the size that along with his skills could set him apart as a one of a kind defensive force in the paint. Already has a variety of offensive moves.

2. We need a future center in the worst way. And the NBA is short on good skilled centers.

Ming will be very good unless he fails mentally. I definately see the risk that he might not have the determination and drive to improve himself and compete at the NBA level. But that is true for 98% of players drafted.

Yao Ming has the tools, will he stay healthy and work hard?

If we knew that we would never blow a draft pick.

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Pro - Ming

Anti - all the crap that comes along with him

13. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Sure they can. Its called bandwaggoning (Is that a word?).:D

#14 rockbox, Jun 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

rhester,

by all accounts, Yao Ming has a terrific work ethic so I don't think determination will be a factor.

No need for Clutch to bother with tracking, just put it in your sig.
    edit: ok Admin...I get the point. :D

#15 Rockets2K, Jun 19, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2002
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pro Ming
    Anti - Cato and Kandi man

Rocket River

17. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

PRO MING

PRO MING

There that should do it. :D :D :D

18. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I'm so Pro-Ming... I have a website for him... this website actually counters the Yao Ming Sucks Webstite, mine is the Yao Ming ROCKS website!

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Pro Ming
    Pro Rockets
    Anti Politics
    Anti Headaches
    Pro Winning
    Anti Losing
    Pro Playoffs
    Pro Post Play
    Anti Isolation offense
    Pro Passing
    Anti Dribbling
    Pro 3 pointers
    Anti Dunk
    Pro Finger Roll
    Anti Black shoes
    Pro Hustle
    Anti corn rows
    Pro Afro

20. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I am PRO-MING.... And that's even if for some weird reason the Rockets don't end up having him.

He has the skills to do what it takes to be good in the NBA. DO you know how hard it is to go 21 for 21 in a real game? He did that in their championship game. You might say it's inferior competition but it's still a championship game and their are defenders in his face... OK maybe in his shoulder blade.

Anyway, that and 7'5" isn't chump change. And he will be in the All-star game soon. Count on it. Remember, it is voted in by the fans and Ming has a fanbase that I would say is pretty large aready. As someone who once pitched for the Astros once said,
    "Believe it!"

As for him taking some time to adjust to the NBA speed, all rookies do need time. But remember that an accurate jumper from 15ft at his height will be hard to stop. So what his first year is not aways spend 2ft from the basket on offense. That's all the better for Stevie and Mobley to penetrate. If the opposition will not put a man on Ming for his 15ft shot then that will give Ming easy shots which he makes at a high percentage. Can't say that about Cato.

On defense the fact that he's in there will affect shots. Sure what's his name at Ming's show in Chicago is taking bets on who dunks on him. That's easy to say. Even Eddie couldn't block all the shots. And you anti-Mingers are making the one move his friend did, (7'2" Center) as indication Ming is weak. Ming is not weak, that center was a good friend and in Chinese culture, you are not ruff to friends. Ming will learn to be mean and he will succeed because that's the NBA.

And for Stevie, once he realize how good the team will play with a good center (Ming) and a servicable backup (Cato), he will be glad the Rockets picked Ming.

Did I mention Ming can shoot freethrows, or that he is a fine passer? (that's according to RD).

And the fact that he enjoys the game and wants to succeed makes him that much better as a #1 pick.

One more question to all anti-Mingers. What is considered a bust? Is it if he's not averaging 20/10/3? When will you consider Ming NOT a bust?

And yes, I will go to more Rockets games just to see Ming and I would probably buy his jersey.