1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prince Harry = Bullet Magnet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Wasn't sure where to put this but placed in D&D because it is Iraq War related.

'Bullet Magnet' Fears for Harry

LONDON, England (CNN) -- The British police protection officer responsible for Prince Harry has flown to Iraq to begin making security arrangements for the royal soldier's deployment to Iraq amid fears for his safety, according to British press reports.

The Daily Mail newspaper claimed the prince is already referred to as a "bullet magnet" by fellow soldiers as his Blues and Royals regiment prepares for an anticipated six-month tour of Iraq.

Harry, third in line to the throne behind father Prince Charles and older brother Prince William, graduated from the prestigious Sandhurst military academy last year and is expected to accompany his troops to Iraq in April or May, an unidentified military source told CNN. (Watch what conditions Prince Harry would face in Basra and why his brother isn't likely to fight Video)

Prince Harry, known as Troop Leader Wales, has trained to command 11 soldiers and four Scimitar tanks. The Daily Mail claimed Harry threatened to quit the army if he was prevented from joining his men on operations.

One royal source told the newspaper it was a "distinct possibility" that Metropolitan Police representatives would continue to oversee Harry's security amid military concerns he could become a target for insurgents.

The Sun newspaper claimed Special Branch officers had been training with Harry since he joined the army in 2005.

But a spokesman for the Defense Ministry told CNN that press reports about the prince's assignment were speculative, saying upcoming Iraq deployments had yet to be finalized.

Harry's military service continues a royal family tradition. (Watch what helped swing Harry's image from party prince to soldier prince Video)

His father, Prince Charles, was a pilot with the Royal Air Force and Royal Navy. Harry's grandfather, Prince Philip, had a distinguished career in the Royal Navy. Harry's uncle, Prince Andrew, was a Royal Navy pilot and served in the Falklands War against Argentina 25 years ago.

As the second in line to the British crown, Harry's older brother, William -- while also a military officer -- is not eligible for combat service.

2. Cesar^Geronimo

While in someways it seems noble of him to want to go to war with his fellow soldiers I actually believe it's a selfish move. He's trying to prove he can handle it but because of who he is will be putting other peoples (who's lives are already at risk) at greater risk.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't think he's trying to prove anything. There's a video on CNN and he basically says how can he sit at home and twiddle his thumbs while his fellow troops are deployed into combat.

This is something he said last year: "There's no way I'm going to put myself through Sandhurst, and then sit on my arse back home while my boys are out fighting for their country"

4. Cesar^Geronimo

but his "boys" will be at an increased risk because of his presence.

5. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Good for him. Atleast the Queen didn't get him into the "Air National Guard" - he really is deploying to a combat zone, and if that's what he wants, it is just as noble as our soldiers going to Iraq.

6. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

maybe he can try out for the british spec ops now.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Royal title + military service = p***y magnet.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Unless his helmet has the word PRINCE on it I think he'll be in just as much risk as any other soldier in Iraq.

9. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

I would not fight in that war if I could get out of it, I also would not give a **** what folks thought.

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he should fight in the war and that he should write the word PRINCE on it.

It is a grand royal tradition. Henri IV of France was famous for leading the charge with great white plumage on his hat in dare to the enemy to try and get him. It inspired his troops, and France did very well under his reign.

11. Blind

Blind Member

Sure, but there weren't any snipers in the 16th century.

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

It's not like he's going to see any action over there anyways. He'll be well insulated and in about as much danger as George Bush and Tony Blair are when they jet over there for their yearly troop visits and photo ops.

13. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You know what.. the bigger the deal they make about it the more of a target he does become. If the overbearing British media would just leave him alone he could go do his time without become a primary target for terrorists. The fact that they are "enciting panic" over his possibly being wounded makes it more likely that someone will attack him.

Royal family members have been fighting wars for centuries... historically speaking, third in line to a throne going to war shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Of course, maybe I am over simplifying the situation.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry about him getting shot. I'd worry about him being kidnapped.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think the Green Zone is called The Zone nowadays.

Prince Harry not to serve in Iraq

Prince Harry will not be sent to Iraq because of the "unacceptable risks", the head of the British army has said.

General Sir Richard Dannatt said the prince's deployment would pose a threat to him and those serving alongside him.

The announcement, which represents a U-turn on an earlier decision, was made amid reports militant groups in Iraq planned to kill or kidnap the prince.

Clarence House said Prince Harry was "very disappointed" but would not be leaving the Army as a result.

'Extremely disappointed'

Last month the Ministry of Defence had said the prince would be heading to Iraq as an armoured reconnaissance officer in the Blues and Royals regiment.

But on Wednesday, the general said he had reached his decision following a visit to the region at the end of last week.

"There have been a number of specific threats, some reported some not reported, which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual.

"These threats expose not only him but also those around him to a degree of risk that I now deem unacceptable."

General Dannatt said he knew Prince Harry would be extremely disappointed and that his soldiers would miss his presence in Iraq.

He said the prince had proved himself as an officer of "determination and undoubted talent - and I do not say that lightly".

The army chief did not rule out deploying the 22-year-old prince to the region in the future and paid tribute to all British service personnel deployed around the world.

BBC defence correspondent Paul Wood said there had been a number of "specific threats", but what the Army was most concerned about was the possibility that Iran would use its security services for an attack on the prince.

Reg Keys - whose son Thomas was killed while on active service in Basra in 2003 - said he found the decision distasteful and questioned whether insurgents could have told the prince apart from other service personnel.

"It would appear that Harry's life is more valuable than my son or the other nearly 150 service personnel who've given their lives," Mr Keys added.

'Extreme reluctance'

A Clarence House statement said: "Prince Harry is very disappointed that he will not be able to go to Iraq with his troop on this deployment as he had hoped.

"He fully understands and accepts General Dannatt's difficult decision and remains committed to his army career.

"Prince Harry's thoughts are with his troop and the rest of the battle group in Iraq."

Asked if Harry would quit the Army as a result, a spokesman replied: "Absolutely not."

Former British army commander Colonel Bob Stewart told BBC News 24 the decision would have been taken very reluctantly.

He said: "The chief of the general staff has actually made such a decision with extreme reluctance; I know that, he's a personal friend and I know exactly the way he's feeling."

Harry would have been the first British royal to see action since his uncle, Prince Andrew, served as a helicopter pilot during the Falklands conflict in 1982.

A Downing Street spokesman said: "It's an operational decision taken by the military which we of course respect."

But Republic, a group which campaigns for an elected head of state, said the decision showed that "the prince should never have joined the Army".

In a statement it said: "This is a scandalous waste of taxpayer's money, brought on by the Windsor family's obsession with linking themselves to the military."

Former Conservative Defence Secretary Michael Portillo also criticised the MoD for "terrible vacillation" over the issue, and Tory MP Desmond Swayne - a former Territorial Army officer in Iraq - said the decision was a victory for Iraqi insurgents.

16. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Let me get this straight.

The head of the British military has deemed Iraq too dangerous for a Prince but its okay for the grunts.

Am I missing something here?

17. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I believe the greater concern is for those who will be with him if he serves in Iraq as they will be just as much of a magnet as he would be.

18. J DIDDY

J DIDDY Member

u cant possibly believe that. im sure grandma called in a few favors to get her grandson out. its not becuase of concern for the other soldiers.
    i knew from the beginning he wasnt gonna go.