1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Prime Video]The Peripheral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Oct 7, 2022.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

here’s another possible way of explaining the stubs and how things are rebooted. The Flynn we see at the end isn’t the original Flynn but a Flynn that is branched off from the stub in 2032 that we had been following. The reboot is that in 2099 Lowbeer contacts Flynn at a point earlier than what we see when we presume Conner has killed her.
    From 2099 they can contact the past at any point and every time they contact creates a new stub. That means that Lowbeer rebooted what happens in 2032 where an alternate Flynn is still alive. Meanwhile in the stub that we and Nuland had been following that Flynn is dead.

Just to note that Lowbeer says that in the 2099 timeline they have no record of what happened to Flynn in their timeline it’s possible this could play a role in the next season.

Rocket River and boomboom like this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Agreed.

I had to rewatch it because I initially thought she restarted way earlier or sent a download, but i think she made a save point a time after their convos/deals, then destroyed the stopwatch so Nuland couldn't nuke the world with that save point.

Stub A is still on track of getting nuked because of Nuland (unless they spend screen time stopping, but having it nuked also helps Lowbeers cover). I'm guessing New Stub also has Nulands accelerated Jackpot scenario because Flynn had to choose a checkpoint that included her deal with the inspector.

They'll still have to stop the terrorists mentioned by the sheriff from nuking the reactor (Lowbeer can probably solve that offscreen) but it also means Nuland can't meddle any further or send people downstream. It means New Stub is Flynn and that inspector's territory with freedom to unravel whatever is in her eye.

I'm enjoying ia good deal but time travel tropes have a fine line between interesting and convoluted.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Should I give this another shot? I'm feeling like I'm missing something here. Because I tried to watch the first few episodes and just couldn't get through the dialogue and the situations these people were in. It has some CWness in it.

4. clos4life

clos4life Member

I found the brother sister bickering unappealing at first but they went away from it soon after. Give it another shot, you might like it. If not, no big deal, not every show is for everyone.

Rocket River, boomboom and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. Beezy

Beezy Member

So is new Flynn supposed to have the data still? I didn’t get that part.

The whole Jasper scene made me laugh.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Zoomers all about using their peripherals when they walk.

Jontro likes this.
  7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

My thought is...when Flynne1 created the new 2032 stub, she created an exact copy of what she was at that point in time...which means Flynne2 *should* have all of the memories, DNA data, etc... that Flynne1 had up to the point the stub was created.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  8. boomboom

Supporting Member

Cancelled by Amazon. No season 2.

Situations like this makes me not even want to start watching new series because of so much uncertainty if they'll be continued after the first season.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I enjoyed about 70% of the season but the episodes wrapping up S1 were tough for me to get through -- the show lost its way and limped to the finish IMO.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

I would agree that there was no compelling reason to see more. It wasn't bad. It just wasn't compelling.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They cancelled season 2:mad:

I think they was one of the better new shows on Amazon. I wonder if the writers strike has something to do with it.

12. clos4life

clos4life Member

I agree. I didn't even want to watch Sucession until it was announced a series finale was complete and would be aired. Warrior season 3 almost didn't happen and it was the best season yet, without a guarantee of a season 4 in the horizon either. Too many promising shows get cut and cancelled to get into without giving them a chance to wrap up their storylines.

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This isn't surprising when exposes have been floating of Amz Studios losing money and mentions of this show's ratings front and center. With this and Westworld, convoluted sci fi can't be expensive if writers want to take risks. I guess a setting more like Mr Robot to see if it ever takes off

I'm better at stockpiling for dramas, but sci-fi dun hooked me in.

JJ Abrams effect has become viral for streaming...introduce the slickest 2-3 episodes, coast due to budget and creative constraints, leave them wanting more at the season finale.

Then casually lose the spreadsheet covering all the mysteries and open ends if it ever makes past 4-5 seasons.

14. dmoneybangbang

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel this. But unfortunately if everyone took the approach of waiting until a show was completed before watching any of it, no show would every complete. If the ratings aren't there at the outset then the studios won't put more money into it. Kind of a catch-22, I guess.

I'm not terribly upset that they canceled this show. It didn't leave an especially lasting impression on me. When I read the December posts in this thread theorizing what the ending meant, I realize I could barely even remember what happened at the end of the first season, and really didn't care that much.

clos4life likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Just watched the whole show over the past couple weeks. I liked it. Now I read here that it's been cancelled. Damn. Now I wish I hadn't watched it at all because I'm pissed I can't get a season 2.

Andre0087, Jontro, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  18. boomboom

Supporting Member

The Peripheral and Raised By Wolves...two shows that should've been allowed to close properly.

dmoneybangbang and clos4life like this.
  19. clos4life

clos4life Member

Give them an extra season to close out their major storylines at least.

boomboom likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

ok so like... should i binge this or naw? i feel like watching the season will only upset me. like stopping mid fap. nothing worse than stopping mid fap.