1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Prime Video]The Peripheral

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Oct 7, 2022.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

S1E3...the plot thickens. Still looking for the big Why.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

Caught up:

Like:
    It seems an interesting and imaginative take on time travel and how two timelines might interact and work, and much like Minority Report, it seems to think hard about how our lives might be altered by new technology. And shows it. So great visuals and thought. Like.

Flynn and her brother carry the show quite well, even if the characters don't have any depth to help me understand their decisions. Most of the periphery characters are solid too.

Things haven't liked:
    Alita: She's kinda blah. I don't get her nor do I get her motives. I'm not sure I'm interested in what she was into.
    The Baddy Queen Bee: She's a little too slick and over the top for me. It's kina like Westworld season three.
    The Baddy in the current Timeline: He's a little too over the top for me too in that I don't think anyone would really do what he does.
    The Green Data Transfer thingy: Thought this was their worst visual in that it didn't feel like a slick futuristic thing. It zaps data into an eye from a pyramid. Think Jonny Pneumonic did this data upload 10x better.
    The sick mother plot: While this is feasible, it's kinda lame. Think they could have come up with something more interesting to drive Flynn forward. I'm not that invested in saving the mother.

Overall still interested but think it's going to go like Westworld. Great Start. Bad Finish. It's fun eye candy and country action, but they are holding out on the plot because I'm not sure they have one.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, like Westworld they're holding back on plot exposition as the reveal. Details like the jackpot or how the world ended are usually the scroll of text at the beginning of movies

This only works if the mystery ties with the main character like some mind blowing Sixth Sense Shamalayan reveal but Westworld hasn't made good on that.

#23 Invisible Fan, Oct 29, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    dmoneybangbang likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

Third episode was interesting, I feel the show is getting better, and I already liked the first 2 episodes. Some nice reveals on episode 3 while still keeping the mystery of the jackpot and character motivations.

5. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

S1E4 - get ready for the group drift

After Connor gets to jump to London, I have a feeling that he'll eventually go Naavi Jake in Avatar 1 and try to find a way to permanently switch his conscience over to his London body.

6. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I like the sci fi focus on building worlds and story as opposed to just cgi showcasing. I've enjoyed the creativity so far.

She definitely got that wide ass Stewy panoramic view going on.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Call it first season jitters, but the pacing is a little off for me in the last couple eps. They make good on the reveals in the last fifteen mins.

I was guessing the jackpot would be related to their broken time travel but the reveal was a bit more ****ed. The Russian testing on stubs who are doomed anyways doesn't seem that evil but can't put a neat word for wiping his own copies.... Narcissistic... Solipsistic?

#27 Invisible Fan, Nov 6, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2022
  8. clos4life

clos4life Member

For me I've enjoyed it so far but the constant bickering between Flynne and Burton is starting to grind. They should be bantering more, arguing less.

Space Ghost and Invisible Fan like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Reminds of
    Surrogates.

Rocket River

10. dmoneybangbang

I'm really enjoying this slow-ish world revealing. Some of the southern accents come off a bit too forced though.

clos4life likes this.
  11. Jontro

Jontro Member

hit girl can get it frfr

12. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

This show is sick, love it. Will probably read the book after watching.

13. Invisible Fan

It's definitely a slow boil compared to the first three episodes. No complaints about it because I'm enjoying letting their characters marinate while giving enough to develop London.

Bit of a balance the show runner is pulling off.

Might break down and read the book

I wonder what that Asian chick thinks of the "eye infection" in main characters eye. Too many vague guesses in that foreign language(Gaelic?)

boomboom likes this.
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If any of my fellow Texans would do that to a dog, I'd be fighting for the other side. Not cool.

Invisible Fan and rhino17 like this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That made me turn off the episode. I don't need to see that. I don't think anyone wants to see that.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

She is cute

Rocket River

Jontro likes this.
  17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Of all the horrors of real warfare, doing what they did to the dog is the line? Seriously, we even have examples this year from Ukraine.

Personally, I was with Burton on this one, no animal worth the risk of what happened to Connor. Just put it out of its misery and keep your fellow soldiers safe. Connor literally put his entire unit at risk over a dog.

18. Invisible Fan

That's the hook for RI's experiments on the stub. To increase the empathy parts in the brain to GAF even when you know your life is on the line. Imagine being Connor and getting physically and mentally hung on your regret when it isn't even your decision.

Bigly sad, but something Big Bro would love.

Might mean Hit Girl's powers is like Neo or something, where she can influence anyone attached to her.

Amiga and clos4life like this.
  19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Watched the first two episodes -- good show looks like Amazon may have a new hit.

boomboom, clos4life and Rocket River like this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I binged the first three episodes last night and agree with a lot of this.
    I love the ideas of how they are doing time travel and would like to see more about how the past changes the present with regard to what happens in 2099.

The visuals are great and future London looks amazing. As an art and architecture nerd I’m fascinated by the giant buildings that look like famous sculpture and am wondering wha the story is behind them.

It also appears there was a “a great filter” type even that happened between the two timelines and my guess is the at it is integral to the story in some ways and not just as a background pierce to establish the world of 2099. From what I gather it has to do with Climate Change.

I agree the bad guys are a little too over the top especially the one in 2032. That’s not a deal breaker for me but more of a distraction.

I like a Chloe Grace Moretz and think she’s doing a good job. It’s interesting to see how she plays both her main character but also the empty shell of her Peripheral. I hope they give her some more action scenes as she did learn martial arts for Kick Ass and seems very capable of being an action star.

the other characters are OK. I don’t think the acting is very good with Barton. He seems kind of wooden. He looks like he’s perpetually surprised to be in the show. For that actor though if they ever do a biopic on Josh Allen he should be the first cast. I almost thought it was Josh Allen doing a cameo in the pilot.