1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prigioni is not as bad of a defender as you might think

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Feb 20, 2015.

1. omgTHEpotential

For a guy who is almost 38 he's not nearly as bad of a defender you might think.

Yes, he's a marginally negative defender, but not terrible by any means. Opponents shoot 1.2% better overall against him than their season averages this year. He has even improved from last year, as far as defensive stats go.

In comparison, some defensive stats from other PGs this year:

Pablo Prigioni: +1.2% Diff%
    Patrick Beverley: +1.9% Diff% (worse result than Pablo, albeit a bigger minute sample)
    Chris Paul: -2.5% Diff% (has been very good defensively this year)
    James Harden: -2.1% Diff%
    Kyrie Irving: +0.9% Diff%
    Jose Calderon: +10.2% Diff%
    John Wall: -1.1% Diff%
    Kyle Lowry: -0.9% Diff%
    Goran Dragic: +1.2% Diff%
    Damian Lillard: -0.2% Diff%

Basically, if Pablo can keep this only marginally negative shot contesting and combine it with his BBIQ and experience, I think he'll be a valuable piece for the Rockets.

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I think the title says it all. I wonder how many other teams are saying" Our trade deadline acquisitions are not as bad as you think".

#2 WinkFan, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you call Pringles a bad defender it's because you don't know what you're talking about. You probably don't even have a TV since he gives Curry fits.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/djH38NreXtU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. omgTHEpotential

I wouldn't necessarily blame Morey for that. If there was a good deal on the table he would have taken it. Prigioni is still an upgrade. Brings some veteran leadership from that Argentinian Big3 (Scola, Manu, Prigioni) that was so succesful on international stage.

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

He's defense is alright. 15th of all PGs on DPM.

He's just old

7. diegot143

diegot143 Member

I think Prigioni is going to be able to handle the ball a lot and run a lot of plays, giving Harden to relief. I think many ppl will be pleasantly surprised by it. He's got that Argentine swagger that made Scola such a bad ass.

8. blackistan

blackistan Member

It's funny how people are trying to defend this move can we please be realistic to see we got an old washed up pg and oh yea there were about 5 good to decent pgs who were moved yesterday who are alot younger and better who we didn't get, instead we ended up with the worst one SMH

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Those other PGs would have cost us Dmo. That's too much.

Pringles isn't THE answer but he does more for the team than Canaan or Shved. He can actually shoot consistently.

10. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

man it was good value. Prigioni can shoot and is still a decent defender. What else do you want from a backup?

11. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

wow now that's an exciting video there.........kinda sexy beast !

12. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

Cant forget Delfino The Don

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

its the guys like Terry, Prigioni that can help you out in the playoffs, you might not see that with Sip or Shved,,and giving up DMO is basically giving away our frontcourt presence, DMO's defense in the paint is extremely underrated.

14. MoonieMac10

MoonieMac10 Member

We just need him to not turn the ball over, run the second team and add playmaking/3point shooting.

15. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

nice 1950's calisthenics video. 40 year old Jack Lalanne would be proud

16. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

LOLLLL I LEGIT LOL'ed.

17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

We really didn't need a SUPER STAR for the trade deadline...just a basic player that can push the ball up the court and hit an OUTSIDE JUMPER FOR GOODNESS SAKES! Other than Harden we don't have a player that can hit an open shot. If P can do that for us then it's a good trade. I mean seriously...finding a decent player to hit an open shot is that too much to ask? Tired of seeing open bricks night in and night out. Hopefully P can sit their open and hit a few which would make a big difference in games we typically loose by 10 points due to brick layups and missed open jump shots when Harden is being triple teamed

18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind starting Pablo.

Better passer than Bev...

Anyone else agree?

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You are totally wrong on this.

The purpose of this deal is not to get a 38 years old and ready to retire PG to help this team.

But rather than what have we gave up in this process and why we are doing it.

Entering Shved, whose contract can only be combined in a multiple players trade YESTERDAY and YESTERDAY only, and after yesterday, his 3 mils plus contract is a 100% deadweight.

If this deal can not be pulled, the Rockets may even waive him to clear a roster spot.

Shved is NOT getting any minutes to play in this team, period. I don't think anyone can argue that.

Hence, you have 3 plus mils of dead money on hand, while all the other major deals are dead basically.

Hence Prig popping up, his contract is 1.7 + 1.6 mils for 2 years, but second year is about 290K guaranteed only.

So, for the remaining of the year plus the next year guaranteed amount, the Rockets basically saved a few hundred Ks there but that's not the point.

The point being, his contract for next year takes 1.6-1.7 Mils while only 290K guaranteed, that's an excellent trade asset in July.

Hence we gave up 2 late second rounders for this.

Other than that, any kind of contribution he can give to this team will be a surprise, just like Terry did from his trade - which we basically used 5 mils to buy 2 picks.

This deal is about giving away absolute garbage and turn them into something useful and the purpose of the trade is on his contract, not the player himself.

3 people like this.
  20. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

^This post should end the thread but I went and screwed that up...