1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Price of Radiohead's new album - "It's up to you"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by professorjay, Oct 1, 2007.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Pay What You Want

Another 'outside of the box' move by Yorke & friends. Should be interesting to see how this turns out. I expect diehard Radiohead fans (which I'm sure there are plenty of) to make this a decent result at the very least.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

Seriously, I didn't really like their last album that much. They're getting too techno for my taste. I miss the OK Computer/The Bends version of Radiohead.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I have been following for some while the status of Radiohead's latest album. From what I have read, they are without a label and the album isn't going to be released officially until sometime in the spring of 2008. I can easily wait for the album to be released officially instead of going for the download, paying God knows who much.

4. WildSweet&Cool

Wow. That is really really cool.

Unfortunately, I only like one song by Radiohead (Optimistic).

If a band I liked did this, I'd ....

(I can't believe I'm gonna say this)...

...I'd actually buy their music.

5. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Oh hell yes, I am really looking forward to this. It's been too long since we've gotten new Radiohead. I'm praying they come back to Houston and do a show. Their show at the Woodlands a few years ago is tied for the best show I've been to, along with Underworld.

Manny - Why wait until it comes out? They are saying you can pay whatever you want to download it.

6. tomato

tomato Member

You can also order a physical copy in a boxset with a bonus disc, and two vinyl records of those discs, and the download, for what equates to over $80 :eek: And the physical copies don't ship until around the start of December. I paid a bit over $10 US for the download.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This is a great idea -- they will have an extra dollar in their coffers tonight.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

is Capitol Records involved in this album whatsoever?
    did they finish their contract with the record label and decide to do this to stick it to the man?

9. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

this is the official release. they were signed with EMI and are now without a contract. You can either download the new album for whatever you want to pay (it is finished and mastered) or buy a box set with an extra disc with 10 songs on it for around $60 (you get a vinyl, 2 discs, poster, lyrics and other stuff)

Even if they only get a dollar for each album download, that's still more than they get from the major labels

I saw them three times on their mini-tour last year where they worked on the new stuff, and it is really good stuff.

They are not signing with a new label. This is the final/finished product (they have been mastering the finished cuts for about three or four months)

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I thought this album was being released on Oct. 10, 2007? Is that date some sort of promo release for super fans?

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Harrisment,

Okay on further reading, I understand what you are saying. I will probably do that but that sounds too good to be true and I am not a big fan of downloading stuff off the Net (but I will make obvious exceptions).

across,

From what I read they had a 6 album contract with EMI that ended when they released "Hail to the Thief". Reading some of Thom Yorke's comments about EMI, let's just say that he wasn't too impressed with some of EMI's latest business practices.

Brightside,

I don't know where you got that date from - I do know that for months, it was rumored that Radiohead's latest release was coming out sometime in the fall of 2007. October will still be a good month (at least for me) as that is the month of the latest Neil Young release (comes out in 15 days).

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I can't seem to get it to work.

13. Blake

Cheetah-

Not available until October 10th, the official release date. this is the official release...Spring '08 was a just a rumor. This is the actual finished product

Manny-

You can pay around $60 for the double disc and other stuff included and they will ship it to you. They have about 10 other new songs that they played at their mini-tour live gigs last year that will be featured on the second album.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I saw it on the blogs. Like this one

http://leisureblogs.chicagotribune.com/turn_it_up/2007/10/radiohead-says-.html

I think you might have been referring to the actual box set/physical album which is being released in December.

15. tomato

tomato Member

Blake the boxset in US dollars comes to around $82, not 60

16. Blake

oops. didn't realize the Euro conversion. regardless, I'll pay for it. if anyone wants to hear the live versions of most of the songs on the double album, I have them

17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

i tried ordering it for 0, don't know if it worked. If it's good, I'll buy it, but I've not enjoyed their latest albums all that much save for a few songs.

18. tomato

tomato Member

There's a transaction fee for the download that amounts to about $1 US, just so you know

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It never asked for a credit card, so it definately didn't work.

20. Blake

Everyone-

The album does not release online until October 10th. You can reserve one, but you cannot get it until the 10th.