1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

preventive care

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by otis thorpe, Sep 20, 2013.

1. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I wasnt going to post this because i wasnt looking for sympathy. im diabetic. i wasnt taking my medicine regularly because i hadnt had health insurance for five years. hadnt worked in two and a half and no permanent job in seven years. i did find a job three months ago but not permanent. i was laid off. it was construction. two weeks after being laid off i woke up with severe back pain

not to bore you with too many details in between i was carried by ambulance to the emergency room two weeks later because the pain was moving through my entire body to the point of not being able to walk. it turned out to be an infection causing an orange sized abssess in my throat dripping down my spine. Again skipping through detail i cost the county $100k in surgery and scans. im not blaming anyone i could have gotten county insurance for the insulin. the infection was helped by my high blood sugar.

all this is to say im an example of how preventive care could havd saved thousands

1 person likes this.
  2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Who needs preventive care or insurance when you are poor? Shut down the government to stop Obama care! GOP FTW!

3. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Before i get blasted as a fa arse the diabetes is hereditary

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I've been well-insured for years and years, but haven't seen a doctor outside of a couple of times I needed antibiotics. But, I'm getting old. I'm going to get a regular doctor this year and see him routinely. I don't want stuff like that sneaking up on me.

5. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Go to a low or no carb diet, check it out.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Genetics definitely plays a role in how likely you are to get diabetes and certain complications, however it is way too simplistic to say that your diabetes is hereditary.

No one is accusing you of anything, but don't expect sympathy from the D&D for not utilizing simple preventative measures like a low carb diet or free clinics/Harris County Gold Card.

Regardless, I can't imagine the things you have gone through and the pain and uncertainty you are living in right now. I wish you all the best.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

this, carbohydrates cause blood glucose to spike, don't eat them

8. bucket

bucket Member

He said explicitly that he's not looking for sympathy. He's saying it's an example of how a bit of prevention can be much cheaper than waiting for something to go wrong and treating it then, which is a very widespread approach in the US.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You are right, wrong choice of words on my part.

I applaud him for saying what he did. I'm still going to shoot down any misinformation presented.

10. Raven

Raven Member

The public would howl, but mandatory checkups should be a part of healthcare reform. The sooner a medical problem is caught, the cheaper it is to address and the more likely the patient recovers.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What? I have type 1 diabetes, and I can assure you that me being in excellent shape and having a relatively low carb diet doesn't prevent type 1 diabetes from happening.

I know how my own blood sugar levels and A1C tests would shoot up during times when I didn't have health insurance. That sucked big time, and the medical expenses were huge. Luckily I've had health insurance for quite a while now, and my levels are good as well.

Of course there are times when I have to eat high carbs in order to counter act low blood sugar attacks which happen from time to time with insulin.

12. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

The OP is implying that he is a type 1 diabetic. I think it is more than fair to say his diabetes is hereditary.

13. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

the reason i posted this is because i went to a checkup that is the beginning of regular checkups and i'm taking my insulin like i should and leaving the doctor i was just feeling very happy. it is really weird to say that i almost died or could have died, like i say i worked heavy construction right before this episode and felt pretty damn strong. that infection not only knocked me down physically it took my ego down several notches (probably for the better).

this isn't just about politics, life is fragile, i learned the hard way.

14. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Otis I am glad you're alright after all that.