1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Wk 1] Texans at Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 10, 2023.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Exactly. Did DeMeco comment on why Stroud played so little?

The preseason is for learning. Seems like an opportunity lost.

I’m now wondering if Coach has already decided to NOT start Stroud in game one of the regular season.

DonnyMost likes this.
  2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I think Meco was scared to have CJ out there too long with 3 starting o lineman out.

VooDooPope, cbass, Omihall23 and 4 others like this.
  3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

100% agreed. Stroud seemed good under pressure. He's definitely more mobile than I thought.

The o-line looked a little fulstered at first but seem to settle down. All in all not bad for an opening game AND Demeco won his first game!

ROXRAN likes this.
  4. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

100% agreed. Stroud seemed good under pressure. He's definitely more mobile than I thought.

The o-line looked a little fulstered at first but seem to settle down. All in all not bad for an opening game AND Demeco won his first game!

5. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Patriots were blitzing on almost every CJ possession. If I were DeMeco I don’t know if I’d leave him out there behind that oline with no evidence that they could hold up at all.

Commodore and Fulgore like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree he should have played more but on the otherhand since he is their QB1, why risk getting him hurt since the o-line was not holding up?

deb4rockets and charlieaustin like this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

My sentiments exactly

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Yeah, but I attribute that more to his being unfamiliar with the speed of defensive players at the professional level. You can see that he was clearly bothered by it which, by the way, was what I was expecting. After all, it was his first pro start and it was behind a banged up o-line. That's why I would have started Mills and let CJ start the 3rd quarter. Going forward, all I want to see is steady improvement from the kid. On a side note: it will be most interesting to see how Bryce Young fares tomorrow against the Jets.

Two Sandwiches, B-Bob and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agree completely

11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I’m 100% ok with pulling Stroud out early. They were missing 3 starting O lineman. Also combine with the fact it was wet and slippery plus the Patriots blitzing almost every play…. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

Now this next game, I’m gonna need to see Stroud for at least the whole 1st quarter.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd like to see him for the first half. Remember, there's only 3 preseason games now.

I would assume at least a half next game, if not more, and then who knows for the third game?

htownrox1 and deb4rockets like this.
  13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd like to see our starting offensive linemen in there when Stroud is playing next game.

htownrox1, cmoak1982 and red5rocket like this.
  14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Yep. I'm not sure who started at RG but he was getting abused.

desihooper likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Looked like Deculus

desihooper likes this.
  16. Newlin

Newlin Member

What offensive linemen were playing with a Mills and Keenum? I thought Mills and Keenum looked pretty good.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I didn't pay too much attention to Scruggs, but I have a feeling if Green and Mason can help him double which is what a lot of Center blocks are.... then he will look good. He has a pretty good base in pass pro, which is why the Texans were high on him. CJ is mobile enough to escape a few times a game, but he isn't going to be effective if hes running for his life every play like he was last night.

He got hit every drop back excluding the first pass.

Hard to grade someone who is getting pressure within a second up the middle. Its just not viable.

raining threes likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Well... they also went up against backups and other guys who probably won't be in the NFL.

Texans backups couldn't handle some of the Patriot starters.

19. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

He’s playing the Jets after practicing against them all week in joint practice. I’d be shocked if he didn’t look better.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

@BKubena · 10m DeMeco Ryans said Will Anderson Jr. had a "good first game," but there were a few things he can work on. His alignment being one of them.

DeMeco Ryans says it was the plan to give C.J. Stroud 10-12 reps last night. He thought Stroud did do some things well. When plays broke down, it was good to see him move around & improvise. Also thought it was good for him to make a mistake, "to make him pay" & to learn from it.

DeMeco Ryans on Tank Dell: "I see a dynamic player. He's electric. He's always open."

DeMeco Ryans says he hopes they can get Christian Kirksey back "in a couple weeks." He's been sidelined during training camp.

Jturbofuel likes this.