1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Wk 1] Texans at Patriots

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 10, 2023.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/08/11/texans-cj-stroud-preseason-debut-shaky-rebuild-patriots

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. Even if he doesn't start the season it's no reason to think he is a bust pick. Mahomes only played one game his rookie year, but watching, learning, and developing until his day came ended up working out great.

HillBoy, Fulgore, Sooty and 2 others like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

He's gonna be alright - he's humble and realizing what he needed to do differently while sounding sincere - take it as a learning process- the fact that he was asking to go back out there in the second half impressed me as well. He was really wanting to redeem himself and that says a lot.

Fulgore, Rudyc281, Omihall23 and 6 others like this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Not worried about Stroud. First ever game, barely played, nothing to take away from it really. He made a bad pass. Big deal. It happens.

I thought Tank looked the part. He's going to be fun.

Fulgore, Rudyc281, Sooty and 4 others like this.
  8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Well the only takeaway I got is that we are totally effed if our Oline gets hurt. The amount of pressure was absurd.

9. raining threes

Not when Howard makes it back and starts with Tunsil, moving Fant to the swing tackle position. Mason will help the IOL. Scruggs didn't impress me tonight.

10. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Dusty must have hopped a train to Gillette after the Astros game and told coach this is how we do it in Astros land.

houstonstime and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

CJ needs time. If we look back at DeShaun, he didnt look good initially in the pre-season nor did he start, he played against 2nd and 3rd string players.

The things I saw that I was impressed about was his mobility. After the first sack, he began to scramble out of the pocket and pickup yards. I didnt think he had that ability.

Going from any college program to the NFL takes time, especially at QB. I think he should have played longer. Against Miami, since they are practicing against them, he needs to play at a minimum four series.

Fulgore, Omihall23 and raining threes like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

In no way did he show mobility. He was ran down by lineman.
    He’s not a statue but he isn’t mobile. He’s going to have to rely on his arm and reads

raining threes likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

If Stroud is your guy he should have played a hell of a lot more.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

100% agreed

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Things I learned/saw in first preseason game:

* half our team is rookies or newly signed guys, and yet it was a bunch of no names for like 95% of the game.
    * can I get excited about this defense? Or was that bill Obrien? Or both?
    * stroud ran for some yards, seemed good under pressure, 2 things I am worried about.
    * stroud can have all the pinpoint accuracy in the world, but even I knew he was throwing it to Dell, need to look off the D.
    * tank Dell is the keke that was promised
    * pitre was going for the interception on that zappe-Thornton throw.. he could have broken it up if he went for the hit, but his hands were behind the WR in basket catch position.
    * can’t learn too much in preseason, but schemes usually show up, and man, our defense was in the backfield A LOT.

anyways, there’s a few more but it’s just preseason, we’ll see how the next one goes. Football is back!

Fulgore likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

#216 J.R., Aug 11, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2023
    Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

He might need to let CJ play the entire 1st half vs Miami since he probably won’t play vs saints.

18. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keenum could slide above Mills before the season starts. I think he's better, and is a great mentor for when CJ is ready. With our promising defense and new coaches, we need to put our best man out there to start the season. I think that's Keenum, the Coog. As for Mills, well he wasn't any worse than Watson was last year, and even though Watson sat his greasy pompous butt out a couple years or not, he had way more experience and plenty of time to work on his skills on his own time.

We need our best player at the start of the season, and if CJ isn't quite there, I don't see it as a disappointment to give him a little more time to develop, study, and learn from the sideline like Mahomes did.

solid likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I agree but only thing about Mahomes is he had the luxury of learning from a pro bowl caliber qb. Alex Smith threw for 26 tds and only 5 ints Mahomes rookie year.

HillBoy and deb4rockets like this.