1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Game 3] Texans at Broncos

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TejasTom, Aug 23, 2014.

1. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I dunno. Seems to me he was off balanced and extended his arm as support. His palm was open, fingers off the helmet instead of flushed. And he tried to get off him as fast as he could. I don't see malicious intent there. Swearinger was just caught in a bad situation.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

see the thing is that Fitz knows how to diagnose a defense... something Keenum has no idea how to do. thats why Fitz is so far ahead of both him and Savage

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Few thoughts about the game:

I thought our first team defense did well on the first series limiting them to a FG. The Broncos are obviously a really terrific offensive machine, but limiting them from scoring a TD on the first play was actually pretty solid.

The Texans had a solid TD drive. Mixed with some possible interceptions throws by Fitz, overall the Texans had some nice moments capped off by terrific running by Blue and Grimes. Fitz needs to slow down a bit more...he has good weapons but has to be a bit more patient. And stop staring receivers down.

2 minute debacle: Considering that Payton threw a pick to Bouye and really didnt get anything going, Payton was really trying to score even if it was against a 2nd string defense. Payton on his first TD throw to Sanders, had zero pressure...giving a HOF QB that much time is bound to yield results like that. That touchdown was a perfectly thrown ball to a blazing fast runner.

The Texans 2min drive was really bad. Fitz almost threw a pick as Roby jumped in front ofHopkins, who nicely broke apart the pick. Then Bad Fitz kept throwing bad throws giving payton Manning 46 seconds and 2 timeouts...

2 min debacle #2: DJ's hit was fine for the stance...unfortunately, the delivery was to the head of a ducking welker. Watching the replays, DJ was already in the motion of delivering the hit as soon as Welker caught the ball and began crouching down. After the play, Manning started talking to DJ who started jawing back. The very next play was a TD by a terrific grab by Sanders. Taunting a player not in the vicinity of coverage was pretty sad though Payton...its just the preseason.

Didnt watch the fourth so I'll defer to you experts who did watch Tom Savage play well...but Keenum in the 3rd was bad...He has not done well in an offense that has essentially been catered to him. Im not sure if he will get a chance in game 4, but Keenum hasnt shown me improvements in his game.

5. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

6. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

BOB said theres a 'pretty good' chance team carries 3 QBs, so sounds like keenum still has a chance to stay

7. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I'd rather see them keep 6 receivers (AJ, Hopkins, Posey, Thomas, KMart, Labhart) if its an either/ or.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Let's clam down a bit on Savage. Remember Keenum had a pretty good game in preseason last year and look how he is now. We need to take these performances with a grain of salt. But yeah, Savage looked the best last night.

Still not ready to appoint him our future QB. Still keeping my expectations low. If we draft high again next year, we need to address the QB issue.

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

The blood should be on Manning's hands for throwing into triple coverage with all aggressively converging in on Welker. Something bad was going to happen.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's just nice to see them win, frankly. Even if it is preseason.

11. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I think they'd like to have a veteran ahead of Savage, but I doubt it'll be Keenum. The Texans have a lot of leverage by being at the front of the waiver line, and my guess is that they're planning on swiping another QB when cuts come in.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This. Why would they even run plays where Welker was flying through the middle of the field, 7 to 10 yards downfield? He doesn't need the reps and he had two concussions last year.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Glad Cushing played but he looked slow especially out in space. Hopefully he gets back sooner rather than later.

14. cardpire

cardpire Member

He's a head hunter in general, but I actually buy/agree with Swearinger's explanation. Welker ducked into his shoulder. Not much he could have done, other than ease up on attempting a ball-dislodging, highlight-reel shoulder smash tackle in the preseason.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No reason Swearinger was at fault here. Even the Broncos admitted it during the game. Welker was falling, Swearinger hit him with his shoulder/ forearm.

16. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Honestly, it would have to be somebody that is just too good to pass up. I don't see them adding another QB just on the fact that he won't know the system and considering he wouldn't have any time to learn it being that there is little to no practice going on during the season.

If they were going to add a QB to replace Case, it would have been done before camp in my opinion.

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

Somebody like Matty Schaub?

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have to look at more than the stat line. Their stat lines are very similar, but Fitz's passes are just awful....all of them. Keenum had a few terrible passes himself, but more of them were good. Neither is the QB of the future, but IMO Keenum is better than Fitz...though that doesn't say much. Hell Savage looks better than Fitz. If we had a true competition, Fitz would probably be the guy getting cut because he's looked the worst of the 3 and he's had the most to work with.

20. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

What's up with Mercilus? I don't think he played with the two's. The only time I saw him was with the scrubs.