1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Game 3] Texans at Broncos

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TejasTom, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Welp, another concussion for Welker

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Welker concussion:

[​IMG]

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Very impressed with Savage, best he has looked thus far. Love Case, but he has had his chances. Savage probably moves ahead of him.

5. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I don't want to get too high on Savage, let's wait to see what he does in the 4th game. However, from the limited snaps he played tonight, he looked a lot better than Case. I wanted Case to succeed and be the franchise QB for this team for years to come, but I just don't think he has "it." If the Texans cut him, and no other team picks him up maybe they can put him on the practice squad.

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

^ Let me try that again(big gif)

[​IMG]

7. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I was at my Mom and Dad's house watching the game, and when My Mom saw The Sav, she said, "woah! that guy looks like Nicholas Cage."

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Welker keeps lowering his head, anticipating the hit. Probably got his two concussions last year that way too.

That said, DJ should just aim for the legs to pull opponents down.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>DJ Swearinger on what Peyton Manning said to him in end zone: &quot;He said 'F me.'&quot;</p>&mdash; Mike Klis (@MikeKlis) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/statuses/503393543994765312">August 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He got a WR to swing on him in practice and Manning to get his first ever taunting penalty. Whatever penalties he gets will be canceled out from the other team.

Let him lay people out. At least no one will call the defense soft. 15 years ago tiny little receivers didn't go across the middle for exactly this reason. I know the game has changed but there still has to be SOME punishment for throwing to a guy in the middle of a defense.

11. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

Swearingen gets a lot of stupid penalties but I don't see how that was his fault other than being taller than Welker and Wes ducking at last second. I dont know what else he could have done.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Several things on the Welker concussion
    1. The flag was warranted. May not like the wussification of football, but, blows to the head, even inadvertent, are flaggable.

2. HOWEVER, everything Swearinger did was textbook. Welker's height played a factor. He was trying to duck under as he has done in the past trying to avoid collisions. That played a factor. It was just bad timing.

3. Manning and Fox should share partial blame. Welker missed practices this week plus you know what he's capable of, so why play him at all? Manning, why would you even run a play for Welker over the middle in a preseason game? That's how he got his last 2 concussions. Catching duck passes over the middle thrown by you.

I hope this is not the end for Wes. But there was nothing else Swag could do other than lay off and let Welker turn up field.

13. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

That looks like clean, solid football to me. What was the call? It couldn't have been a hit on a defenseless receiver, Welker caught the ball and gathered himself.

How about make it illegal offense to send a receiver on a pattern in the middle of the field If the NFL is worried about 'player safety.'

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

It's a phenomenon we didn't throw any pics. We could've easily had 2 or 5.

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Welker needs to retire... he is going to get CTE

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

and can we cut Keenum yet?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why? He still looked better out there than Fitz and I'm not a big fan of having to throw the rookie to the wolves his first year. If someone better gets cut then I'm sure they'll be all over that, but it's not exactly pressing.

18. htown1984

htown1984 Member

He will get cut as soon as waivers start hitting

19. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Yeah. I thought Swearinger got jobbed on that call.

However, looking at the .gif a few times, his left hand pushes Welker's head to the turf. That motion looks pretty unnatural to me.

My guess is that the concussion came from his helmet bouncing off the turf, then putting your hand on his helmet and pushing it to the ground again doesn't look good.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Looking at their stat line from last night there was not much difference. Fitz also has 55.3 QBR for the preseason compared to 48.7 for Keenum. Neither is playing well but Keenum has not been better.