1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Game 2] Texans vs Falcons

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Yes he was one of the many variables but looking back at those games he only had two bad games. One against the Jags and the other against the Colts. He was having an extremely good game against the Pats in the 1st half but had two picks in the 2nd half. In that game the defense didn't show up in the 2nd half either.

You are spot on with your other two statements.

Hey David was damage goods after leaving the Texans. LOL Case still have hope, he didn't get beat up like Carr did.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Yes! I agree with you for once.

Look at it this way: a top 15 pick next year is virtually guaranteed to give you one of Mariotta, Winston, Hundley, and Petty.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Sure – never mind the dozens and dozens and dozens of undrafted QBs each and every year; let’s pick the three egregious outliers and then crush the square peg that is Case Keenum into that tiniest of small holes...

Not likely…? You think?……..

BTW, since you brought him up - Warren Moon went undrafted – 36 years ago - because he was black and the NFL was still crawling out from under a rock. If he played college football today? Well, he’d be really old and it’d be kind of weird and creepy – but if 1978 Warren Moon was instead 2014 Warren Moon - given his size, arm strength, and assuming similar college success… he’d be a first overall pick. So he’s really not a fair comparison.

He had two undeniably exceptional games with Keenum (Colts and Cardinals), which were exceptional specifically because he actually scored TDs (five altogether). In Keenum’s other six starts, he caught 0 TDs and posted a 16-game pace of 109/1,424/0 – which is very good. But in the four seasons prior, his 16-game average was 105/1,517/7. So any notion that Case Keenum resurrected Andre Johnson’s moribund career is patently silly. He was doing just fine before Keenum; I’m guessing he’ll do just fine without him.

Cherry picking would indicate some suppression of evidence, like… conveniently referencing three very good undrafted QBs and ignoring the hundreds of failed undrafted QBs. Listing his statistics in totality, as The Cat did, is not cherry picking.

Regardless of your, his or mine opinion moving forward, it’s difficult to mount much, if any argument that Case Keenum was competent last year. He had moments where he looked very good. But overall, he was not good and there isn’t a single measure that will say he was. If you want to pretend those things don’t matter… I mean, have it, I guess - walk into a hurricane-like wind. But it’s ignoring the very fabric by which we evaluate these guys and is thus, a bit of a cheat.

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

You must be exhausted after all that! All I said initially was that I think Keenum can improve and develop. Yes, he started off great, then other teams blitzed him to oblivion. I get it. But, he didn't lose all those games by himself. I don't understand why we can't have differences of opinion on this board without title waves of hyperbole washing over the discussion. I like him, you don't, I get it.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ryan Fitzpatrick is a very smart young man -- he freaking graduated from Harvard! He clearly has football skills, as evidenced by all the yards and touchdowns he's thrown for as an NFL quarterback. And just as you attempt to paint "circumstances" as a reason for Keenum's failures, you could make a convincing argument that Fitzpatrick has NEVER (not in St. Louis, Buffalo or Tennessee) had the surrounding talent to give him a legitimate chance to win games.

I don't mean to be snippy, but the reason this is all so baffling is because you have a history of being incredibly pessimistic and burying athletes/coaches that you don't like, even with minimal evidence. If you want to be optimistic and believe/hope that Case Keenum is the exception to the rule, more power to you. I can respect that. But it's a little annoying when you then turn around and use a completely different standard for everyone else.

6. solid

I think there may be more interest in him now than when he spent a year on the practice squad. I hope they cut him and we will see. The Texans might want to bring in the Shaw kid from Cleveland. (if he becomes available, he may be the starter after last night) Believe it or not I really want the Texans to succeed. I don't think Fitzpatrick is going to work out.

7. solid

Could it be that I am prejudiced? I know Case's history. He is the son of a coach. Comes from a great family. Followed him at UH. Fine young man. Very religious and moral. A hard worker. I want him to do well, and I genuinely believe that he has the skills to succeed. I am not a football expert. I am just doing the fan thing for fun. I really enjoy the board though, but I probably speed too much time here.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Yeah, we're not the ones name-checking Warren Moon, Tony Romo and Kurt Warner in relation to Case Keenum... so please stop acting like you're an innocent bystander here; that Keenum-bombs are being lobbed at you out of nowhere. When you post something like, "He has a strong arm and can make all the throws. He is very smart. In the right system and circumstances I am convinced he can excel." - you should be prepared to try and defend that since the majority of evidence we have refutes each and every one of those points.

Further, I think people are sick and tired of the individual crusade. We endured years of Baby Jesus Vince overwhelming discussion; I just don't think a lot of us have the stomach to throw ourselves into a similiar round-and-round with Case. It is a team of 53; the hyper-focus on an undrafted back-up QB who has shown limited NFL competency is a beat down of epic scale. (IMO.)

9. Remii

Remii Member

As of now I'm going by what Winston's father said and assuming he's staying in college. There's no guarantee about those other guys and it's not like you can always find a good quarterback in the 1st round.
    Not counting the 2014 draft _ Since 2009, Cam and Luck are really the only ones you can point to as "franchise quarterbacks" that were drafted in the 1st round. Jury is still out on RG3 and Tannehill. So the "wait till next year" theory for a quarterback is always a great risk.

Or we may see him sitting at home on the couch... There's no guarantee if the Texans cut him that Case will immediately get picked up by another team.

10. conquistador#11

no one can argue against ryan if he puts up the type of numbers he did last game for at least 5 games in the regular season and then have 6 more good performances for a total of 10 wins.

11. solid

Junior mints can be very refreshing.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

everybody go get your free slush at sonic today!

13. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

brandon brooks back on the active roster!

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

LOL. It's been too long.....

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This works for preseason, too?

16. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

right? this maybe be one of the few opportunities this year so take advantage.
    yupp, jut ask for a Texans slush

1 person likes this.
  17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Multiply that times 2 due to one Jeremy Lin being in Houston at the same time, and I think it's understandable why more level-headed fans can go off the deep end from time to time......

18. Airdough

Airdough Member

The Keenum fandom would be virtually non-existent if the Texans had drafted a QB that showed promise. Keenum is a mirage but people will keep drinking the sand because they don't know the difference.

At the end of the day, my beef isn't with Keenum fans but that the Texans seemingly punted their rebuild another year down the road by not getting a QB in this draft to build around.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Who, in your mind, should they have picked?

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Fitzpatrick's history isn't very hard to find. He's a family guy, too. Has four kids, all 7 or under. Married and loves his wife. Moral. Works hard. Same is true for many other players as well.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...eads-Texans-QB-Fitzpatrick-to-big-5536841.php

Nothing wrong with being a fan; we all are. But if you're going to be that wildly optimistic about someone like Keenum even though most evidence points to the contrary, you can cut other guys some slack, too. That's all I meant... sorry if it came off a bit strong.