1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Preseason Game 2] Texans vs Falcons

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Aug 16, 2014.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

I hope that the Texans cut Keenum so he can catch on with another team. I have watched too much of him over the last years to believe that he can't learn to read defenses and react properly. He has a strong arm and can make all the throws. He is very smart. In the right system and circumstances I am convinced he can excel. But not here. In the meantime Fitzpatrick has had TEN YEARS to get better and he is still very marginal at best. He essentially has no upside. If they are going to roll with him, they should have kept Schaub who is much better overall. Yes, I was glad to see him go, but I thought the Texans would UPGRADE the QB position not put it in the hands of an even more mediocre player.

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From above...
    I think he's played himself into a starting spot on the OL. Question is which Guard spot? A lot will depend on if/when Brooks can get healthy and contribute. Should add, he's also probably trying to be a good teammate.

3. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i think in the press conference monday, BOB said Newton is really coachable and likes the progress he's made with him

I hope he turns it around soon, because after 2 years, he still sucks in my book

4. cmpatel

cmpatel Member

I agree that hes not that good, but people often forget that hes a 7th round-pick. If that's a team's only option for starting RT, you have to blame the GM. How Rick Smith still has a job, only god knows.....

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well they drafted others, but none of them panned out. They had high hopes for two guys, one got cancer and another needed microfracture surgery and washed out of the league.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Very similar to what many said about Vince Young after the Titans stint... and what will be said about Johnny Football in a few years.

Only difference is those guys were first round picks... Keenum went undrafted, then spent a whole year on the practice squad (without anybody checking in to give him a "chance"). He did enough last year to win a spot this year over Yates... but can he do enough for this regime to even get the backup spot (let alone a starting spot).

The only person out there who would really give a guaranteed roster spot to him at this point would be Kubiak... and he's no longer the GM of his team. Ozzie Newsome may not think as Kubiak and many other former UH grads do.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Newton is coachable. LOL.
    If that's the best compliment you can give a player then that means he is GARBAGE.
    Good job, good effort.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Strong words. Curious what has you so convinced. Is it his 0-8 record a season ago? Is it his 78.2 QB rating (82.0 for Fitzpatrick, the guy you despise) or his 34.5 QBR (55.4 for Fitzpatrick)? Is it his 12 turnovers in eight games? Is it his woeful 2014 training camp (according to numerous accounts) that has Bill O'Brien concerned enough to give 2nd-team reps to a 4th-round rookie?

I know this is a tough concept for you, but there's a reason not a single NFL team decided he was even worthy of a 7th-round draft pick, and there is nothing from his performance so far to indicate much different. Newsflash: lots of quarterbacks have strong arms, including those in the CFL and on practice squads. If Blaine Gabbert could "learn to read defenses and react properly", he'd be Aaron Rodgers. As it is, he's shown himself unable to do that, so it's a completely pointless and silly hypothetical. The same holds true with Keenum.

9. mick fry

mick fry Member

Mmmmmm, that Fitz koolaid sure tastes good to alot of fans.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So . . . you'd rather see him be a backup for some other team instead of the Texans?

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see thinking Fitzschnauzer is better than Case is "driking the koolaid".

12. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Fitzpatrick is 4th among all qbs last year is rushing yards. And he's mobile in the pocket in a good way when it comes to making plays. That's already better than Schaub as far as what a team like the texans need at that particular position. Could they do better yes... but elite QB's don't fall in your lap every year.

13. Remii

Remii Member

How much better is the question...???

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

COFs GTFO haha jk

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

As opposed to what exactly? Pining for a quarterback that went 0-8 last year? That drink tasted pretty damn bitter last year, if I recall correctly.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Like Kirk Warner, Warren Moon, Tony Romo? Yes, Case Keenum is not likely one of these guys, but he has more talent than you give him credit for. Ask Andre Johnson who suddenly looked like his old self with Keenum under center. The circumstances under which Keenum had to operate last season would have been difficult for a seasoned veteran. He is not a seasoned veteran. But, Case is a very smart young man. He has football skills. I believe he can learn and adjust given time. You don't. There is no need to be snippy, sarcastic, and demeaning. And cherry picking statistics is not convincing. You conveniently ignore some aspects of his positive performance last season before the whole team collapsed into disarray. I like him, you don't. I get it.

17. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I don't know why some of you good people keep bringing up the 0-8 record like it's Case's fault. There are many more variables to Case's 0-8 record. Even when he did play solid, either special teams, missed fg's or the defense giving up big play after big play. Shoot lets not talk about how poorly the offensive line was or Kubiak's horrendous coaching.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Some think that football is a one on one game played between QB's so if the team wins or loses it's 100% on the QB.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes... and he was one of the variables as well.

Obviously this coaching staff considered all of that, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered keeping him around for the "competition".

That being said, sometimes teams fail qb's just as much as the qb's fail the team... but even in those situations, the QB likely doesn't do much of note afterwards once he is let go (see David Carr).

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Thank god the Texans' QB situation isn't as bad as the Browns QB situation.