1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prediction of 2014 win total based on team stats and history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Aug 1, 2013.

1. rogower

rogower Member

I think several teams in the West will finish with 57-62 wins. OKC, San Antonio, Houston, the Clippers, maybe Memphis. Golden State will likely disappoint. Lots of teams in the mix for the 7 and 8 seeds. The WC playoffs will be a crapshoot; any one of those top five teams could make it to the NBA Finals.

2. MGC

MGC Member

Maybe between 53 - 56 wins..
    Top 3 seed in the West. Top 5 in both offense in defense. :grin:

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

Splitting RAPM by offense and defense makes it a worthless stat, although I do like RAPM stat in its totality. If you split RAPMs, you can show things that defy common sense, like MVP Hakeem in 93-94 being a lesser offensive player than Vlade Divac. Don't believe me? Look up their respective ORAPMs.

If you think about what 1 point is, basically imagine one P&R where Asik fumbles the ball, turn that into Howard catching and putting up a high% shot. That's basically ~1.2 points already. I feel I actually underestimated our offense if it remains the same. Because there's some assumption that the Rockets may play a slower pace in order to maximize own half court defense.

4. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

61 wins barring no injuries to our key guys like Dwight, Lin, Parsons, Harden, Asik

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Health thing I feel can be ignored, because there are injury issues every year to various teams. Some team gets healthier, others get more injured. For example, perhaps GSW are more likely to hit the injury bug this year.

The getting better thing I also disagree with. Denver, Lakers, OKC, SA(assuming Parker and Duncan do age) are all candidates to be worse on paper. And a lot of the bad teams getting slightly better won't really reflect in our records. I mean, sure Portland added a decent bench. But we are still a vastly superior team.

6. sleepyazn

sleepyazn Member

Our win total should be alot higher in general, lots of teams will be purposely tanking for this year draft class. Lots of potential in 2014.

7. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

59 is around the mark, depend a bit on adjustment times and health obviously. and if anyone takes surprisingly large steps forward.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I do to. I think you finally see them drop off this next season.

9. just a word

just a word Member

I love these posts because I love stats but I've always wondered this with the various formula that calculated wins: Has anyone ever added up the predicted wins for each team and figured out if it's even POSSIBLE?

I mean, there's a finite number of wins each season if you view across the league as a whole. Just taking the numbers from NBA Couchside, of the teams that they'd projected already, 13 teams will take up roughly 689 wins (plus or minus rounding error).

82 games x 15 winners = 1,230 wins

Which means only 541 wins left for the 17 teams they'd still have left to project, at an average of about 32 wins per team (31.8). Now maybe it'd be a tank party for Wiggins and I don't know if it's just me, but it seems a little low.

How WOULD one compensate for the upper-bound on wins as a league though? I mean a simple measure would just be divide the total projected wins with total possible wins and then apply it to projected wins by team to get total possible projected wins, but I don't know if that accounts for the differences between the East and the West.

Or for that matter, the differences between divisions.

Do teams in the West systemically hit lower than what they're win totals project? Or was that just the Rockets?:confused:

10. conquistador#11

we will win 60+ and everyone in the starting lineup will lead in all star voting at their position. we will be loved and hated, make room for all the bandwagoners. I welcome them as they will keep spreading the red gospel through every corner. no turning back now, championship or nothing!

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I can't see any of the western teams having more than 58 wins, the West is loaded this year more so than in previous years. I see the Rockets having around 53 wins and being the fourth seed but close to the third.
    1. San Antonio (58-24)
    2. Clippers (55-27)
    3 Thunder (53-29)
    4. Rockets (53-29). OKC gets 3rd bc they have better in conference record.
    5. Grizzles (50-32)
    6. Warriors (48-34)
    7. T-Wolves (44-38)
    8. Lakers (42-40). There won't be a playoffs without the Lakers/Kobe

12. joepu

joepu Member

Based on last season, it looks like the pythagorean win estimate is inflated for rockets style of play.

13. rullrich

rullrich Member

The thing is I don't see any of those teams except GS as being any better than last year. A playoff series would be a toss up with the top 4 but we played pretty well against all of them during the regular season last year. To early to say with any certainty but I agree around 55+ is a decent benchmark for the time being.

14. hbomb

hbomb Member

All that matters is 16 playoff wins.

15. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Most of the win totals mentioned in this thread are unlikely. There is a curve above 50 wins that dramatically increases the difficulty no matter how talented your team is. The law of unexpected events play ever increasing roles at that point. Plus it will take a bit to assimilate DH's role into the team.

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Just catching up on this reply.

NBA didn't keep record on lineups and +/-'s until 2001-2002 season. Any RAPM values before that are to be taken lightly.

Dwight offensive +/- last season:
    <PRE>Player Split MP ORtg
    Kobe Bryant On Court 3013 110.4
    Off Court 938 103.4
    On Off 76% +7.0

Dwight Howard On Court 2721 108.1
    Off Court 1230 110.2
    On Off 69% -2.1

Metta World Peace On Court 2530 110.1
    Off Court 1421 106.3
    On Off 64% +3.8

Jodie Meeks On Court 1664 110.0
    Off Court 2287 107.8
    On Off 42% +2.2

Pau Gasol On Court 1655 109.0
    Off Court 2296 108.5
    On Off 42% +0.5</PRE>
    Dwight was the only net negative player among top 5 players in MP. It's justifiable that he had a negative even if RAPM was split up..

However Dwight was always a net positive on offense when he was with Magic. This only reflected how poorly he was being utilized. Case in point. When Dwight posted up, he preferred the left side. His efficiency is a lot higher from that side. When Kobe started the offense, he preferred the right side. Instead of swing the ball to the other side, he's just dump the ball there. Whether Kobe had intentionally set him up for failure, we will never know.

Edt: Corrections on sides.

#36 kuku, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  17. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I see about 54 or 55 wins. We will be fighting Memphis and Clippers for 3-5 spot.

18. Normalus

Normalus Member

tss, 73 wins for sure this season :grin:

19. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Wrong. The Nuggets, Lakers, Jazz and Suns are worse and I don't see how you can say that the Spurs and Thunder "got significantly better." I would also argue that the Warriors and Pelicans are not going do as well as many anticipate.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member